Airbag recall

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
ZZvroom

Airbag recall

Post by ZZvroom »

Toyota warns 50,000 US vehicle owners to stop driving, get immediate repairs
By David Shepardson
January 30, 202412:55 AM UTC

<https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 024-01-29/>

WASHINGTON, Jan 29 (Reuters) - Toyota Motor (7203.T) said on Monday it is urging the owners of 50,000 older U.S. vehicles to get immediate recall repairs because an air bag inflator could explode and potentially kill motorists.

The Japanese automaker said the "Do Not Drive" advisory covers some 2003-2004 model year Corolla, 2003-2004 Corolla Matrix, and 2004-2005 RAV4s with Takata air bag inflators.

More than 30 deaths worldwide, including 26 U.S. deaths, and hundreds of injuries in various automakers' vehicles since 2009 are linked to Takata air bag inflators that can explode, unleashing metal shrapnel inside cars and trucks.

tpollauf

Re: Airbag recall

Post by tpollauf »

My 2004 Vibe Gt already had the airbag replaced PRIOR to me obtaining ownership some 5 years ago. I'm getting the notices about the 2nd recall but seeing how nobody ever sits in the passenger seat (pretty much a work vehicle only) I just haven't put forth the effort to have it done yet. I DID finally have my 2009 Vibe Gt airbag recall done a couple months ago and to my surprise, the dealership "Dave White Chevrolet" did an outstanding job and would highly recommend them if anyone out there needs their 09-10 Vibe airbag serviced.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ZZvroom

Post by ZZvroom »

I note this is a new recall. It's not clear if it is rendered void by past ones or not.
I posted because the press reports didn't mention Vibes.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I agree this is a new recall.
The explodie materials inside the Takata airbags break down over time, and become volatile after about 10 years. We are at the 20 year mark now.

If GM follows their normal pattern we will see recalls from them in 1-6 months.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
ZZvroom

Post by ZZvroom »

NPR dug deeper, as they do so well. https://www.npr.org/2024/01/30/12279814 ... ve-airbags

There are WAY TOO MANY unrepaired Toyotas out there. Since they can and do kill people, Toyota wants them fixed. So they have reissued the recall.

Mine were replaced before I bought it. I'm good to go.
Svensvibe

Post by Svensvibe »

not so fast. apparently recall no2 is because recall no 1 was done incorrectly. Actually is appears that recall no1 was just putting a newer but still DEFECTIVE takata inflator into the cars. The newer inflators are still defective but slightly less prone to killing occupants since they are newer and less chance for corrosion . this is a perfect example of cluster fuc&ery
ZZvroom

Post by ZZvroom »

Mine was recalled twice because of the shortage of non-Takata units initially.
ZZvroom

Post by ZZvroom »

tpollauf wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:36 pm My 2004 Vibe Gt already had the airbag replaced PRIOR to me obtaining ownership some 5 years ago. I'm getting the notices about the 2nd recall but seeing how nobody ever sits in the passenger seat
I'd not be ignoring that. The issue is the Takata's throw metal fragments out; that's what kills people. No one in the car should feel safe.
Capt.Vibe

Post by Capt.Vibe »

ZZvroom wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:48 am
tpollauf wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:36 pm My 2004 Vibe Gt already had the airbag replaced PRIOR to me obtaining ownership some 5 years ago. I'm getting the notices about the 2nd recall but seeing how nobody ever sits in the passenger seat
I'd not be ignoring that. The issue is the Takata's throw metal fragments out; that's what kills people. No one in the car should feel safe.

I'm also guilty of not doing the airbag recall, the clockspring recall and the throttle pedal recall. :x

Hard for me to trust some dealer hack tearing apart my dash, steering wheel, floorboards for these repairs all at my risk of course. In 14 years of ownership I have never had a check engine light or an airbag light come on. I may have to bite the bullet soon and have them done.
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
Svensvibe

Post by Svensvibe »

Just had the pax side replaced but no luck with the control module. GM said they'll call! Thank goodness for great service manager at Wheaton Cadillac in Victoria BC for going above and beyond to help fix my 21 year old car! :P