Modifications for 06 models?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Drevina

Modifications for 06 models?

Post by Drevina »

Hello all, have owned my vibe for about 8 years now and am wanting to modify or at least get some more fun out of my little hatch.

I am wondering if anyone knows, for an automatic specifically, if there is much to be done?

My plans are hopefully more horsepower from the engine, better ride quality, body modifications, audio stereo, potential repaint and basically anything the community could recommend or know to be done. Despite the car being low end cost wise I would love to put money into my car. Not wanting a cash pit but definitely interested in having some fun as well.

Money currently isn't a huge issue as I'd step by step the scenarios.

So curious if anyone has ever engine swapped? (W manual) on either the vibe or matrix?

My vehicle is the base model 06 vibe.
- 2006 Pontiac vibe (Base), automatic
tpollauf

Re: Modifications for 06 models?

Post by tpollauf »

Can't add much to what you're asking for BUT seeing how we know your whereabouts (thanks for posting in your profile for us ;) ) my biggest question would be "how solid is the undercarriage and all body panels"? Seeing how you're up there in the Great White North, salt & brine destroy our undersides and body panels. Hopefully you, or the previous owner(s) have applied Krown or RustChek to the car and helped preserved the integrity of the metals. If not, and you have some corrosion issues, then I'd stop right there and keep it as is. Just my 2 cents!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Here is my actual recommendation
1. Have an independent mechanic do an inspection, and ask them to give you an opinion on what should be fixed vs can wait, and a quote to fix everything. Post that list here, and we can help you.
2. Install a Android Auto or Apple CarPlay head unit.
3. Install factory replacement suspension (struts) and get an alignment.
4. Have the Wheels inspected to make sure they are round, and replace if necessary.

The Corolla/Vibe/Matrix are notoriously difficult to tune. Do not waste your time or money trying to make these cars go faster. Especially, with the base engine. It's not worth the effort required. You are better off buying a car (any car) with a turbo.

To improve the ride simply installing new struts (front and rear) and good tires go a long way in ride quality. While you are in there review all the rubber bushings and replace as needed.

"Body Modifications" do you mean body kits, hoods, or spoilers? There where some body kits, hoods, and spoilers, made a long time ago, but they are no longer produced, and would be difficult to come by.

Audio equipment, go wild. There is lots of room in the car for this kinda stuff.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Drevina

Post by Drevina »

tpollauf wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:43 pm Can't add much to what you're asking for BUT seeing how we know your whereabouts (thanks for posting in your profile for us ;) ) my biggest question would be "how solid is the undercarriage and all body panels"? Seeing how you're up there in the Great White North, salt & brine destroy our undersides and body panels. Hopefully you, or the previous owner(s) have applied Krown or RustChek to the car and helped preserved the integrity of the metals. If not, and you have some corrosion issues, then I'd stop right there and keep it as is. Just my 2 cents!
Had it checked over a few times, no damage or rust so far, outside of generic pain chips from rocks, car is in surprisingly good shape. I clean it frequently specifically due to salt on the roads, and have always maintained it since ownership! But extremely fair, next I check I will be much more in-depth, I don't see anything surface level but I agree it's better to look before tossing money into something that disintegrates 2 years down the line!
Drevina

Post by Drevina »

SeattleJeremy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:02 pm Here is my actual recommendation
1. Have an independent mechanic do an inspection, and ask them to give you an opinion on what should be fixed vs can wait, and a quote to fix everything. Post that list here, and we can help you.
2. Install a Android Auto or Apple CarPlay head unit.
3. Install factory replacement suspension (struts) and get an alignment.
4. Have the Wheels inspected to make sure they are round, and replace if necessary.

The Corolla/Vibe/Matrix are notoriously difficult to tune. Do not waste your time or money trying to make these cars go faster. Especially, with the base engine. It's not worth the effort required. You are better off buying a car (any car) with a turbo.

To improve the ride simply installing new struts (front and rear) and good tires go a long way in ride quality. While you are in there review all the rubber bushings and replace as needed.

"Body Modifications" do you mean body kits, hoods, or spoilers? There where some body kits, hoods, and spoilers, made a long time ago, but they are no longer produced, and would be difficult to come by.

Audio equipment, go wild. There is lots of room in the car for this kinda stuff.

Definitely my goal spring upcoming is to do exactly as you stated with a mechanic checking what I can and should do at bare minimum. Very fair and understandable, car rides well as is but good idea with suspension regardless as I haven't exactly experienced "like new" haha! Wheels are good, luckily, had them checked over last time I replaced tires which was in September! Head unit has been replaced but nothing with android auto, just reasonably decent Pioneer audio.

Thank you for advisement on the engine, love my baby, but a sportier car would probably be more reasonable then trying to grind out 25 more horsepower for no reason.

I'll have to see about the body, was hoping something more sporty looking or adding the GT spoiler but at end of day may be lost cause in terms of availability and as you said aftermarket was scarce.

Audio is probably going to be my main goal as well as some soundproofing this year as not much else can be done and I just think with what's been said I'll solidify the vehicle as opposed to "Tuning" it up!
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Drevina wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:47 pm Audio is probably going to be my main goal as well as some soundproofing this year as not much else can be done and I just think with what's been said I'll solidify the vehicle as opposed to "Tuning" it up!
Sound proofing is a great idea! These cars are pretty loud and adding some Dynamat, or equivalent, would go a long way in making it more present to be in.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Drevina

Post by Drevina »

SeattleJeremy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:28 pm
Drevina wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:47 pm Audio is probably going to be my main goal as well as some soundproofing this year as not much else can be done and I just think with what's been said I'll solidify the vehicle as opposed to "Tuning" it up!
Sound proofing is a great idea! These cars are pretty loud and adding some Dynamat, or equivalent, would go a long way in making it more present to be in.

Truly so excited for the summer! I will check Dynamat out! Agreed, loud, but hey at least that can be fixed!!!!
phathom

Post by phathom »

I have an 07 Automatic, so same thing
Here is what I have done,
-K&N Style Reusable Air Filter $20
-Muffler Delete / Straight Pipe Replacement
-25% Black Tint on front windows
-5% Black Tint on rear windows
-Yellow Light Tint Film on Fog Lights
-Yellow LED Bulbs in Fog Lights
-BRIGHT LED Reverse Light Bulbs
-6000K 35W HIDs (wiring nightmare with our DRLs, had to swap Low/High beam wiring)
-Modify wiring to allow fog lights to be on at any time (as a result of having to have HIDs on the high beams)
-Pioneer DEH-X6700BT Deck
-Alpine Type J 6.5" Front Door Speakers
-Offbrand 6.5" Rear Door Speakers
-Foam sound insulation (2x thick as Dynamat) in all doors, about 1.5 sq ft per door behind speakers
-Smart LED light bars under dash and seats
-Installed Alarm with Remote Start
-Filled in the Pontiac letters on the rear cladding and painted cladding black
-Filled rock chips in hood and painted hood flat black
-Painted grill inserts and Pontiac Emblem gloss black
-Alloy wheels from a VW GTI and new tires
-Polished the headlights
-Oil change every 5,000 miles with K&N or Mobil 1 filer and full synthetic
-Sea Foam every 20k miles

-Not in this picture, but I also put a "Fujiwara Tofu Shop" vinyl on the passenger door. As it is in essence a Corolla hatchback. It may be a FWD Auto, but it is the great grandson of the Hachi Roku, so I have the style as a tribute car.

I've had it since 64k miles and just rolled over 182k now. I've driven it completely across the country from Washington to Florida and it's ran 1,000s of trips for Uber/Lyft in its lifetime as well.
I have only had to change brakes, oil, transmission filter and fluid once, and replaced the radiator fan twice. This car has been perfect, fun, practical, and reliable. I plan to keep it forever. It is by far THE BEST car I've ever owned. I have owned 12 cars before it and 6 cars after, everything from Hyundais and Hondas, Fords and Chevys, VW and BMWs, Toyotas and Nissans. The only one that came close was it's Cousin an 2004 Corolla, which is the same car but a sedan instead of a wagon, which would be my 2nd choice for a vehicle.

Keep your car, put money into it if you want to. It won't demand it from you, but you'll enjoy it more if you do.
Attachments
340096757_1978800519123949_2059736433961121263_n.jpg
340096757_1978800519123949_2059736433961121263_n.jpg (374.15 KiB) Viewed 283 times
Drevina

Post by Drevina »

phathom wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:17 pm I have an 07 Automatic, so same thing
Here is what I have done,
-K&N Style Reusable Air Filter $20
-Muffler Delete / Straight Pipe Replacement
-25% Black Tint on front windows
-5% Black Tint on rear windows
-Yellow Light Tint Film on Fog Lights
-Yellow LED Bulbs in Fog Lights
-BRIGHT LED Reverse Light Bulbs
-6000K 35W HIDs (wiring nightmare with our DRLs, had to swap Low/High beam wiring)
-Modify wiring to allow fog lights to be on at any time (as a result of having to have HIDs on the high beams)
-Pioneer DEH-X6700BT Deck
-Alpine Type J 6.5" Front Door Speakers
-Offbrand 6.5" Rear Door Speakers
-Foam sound insulation (2x thick as Dynamat) in all doors, about 1.5 sq ft per door behind speakers
-Smart LED light bars under dash and seats
-Installed Alarm with Remote Start
-Filled in the Pontiac letters on the rear cladding and painted cladding black
-Filled rock chips in hood and painted hood flat black
-Painted grill inserts and Pontiac Emblem gloss black
-Alloy wheels from a VW GTI and new tires
-Polished the headlights
-Oil change every 5,000 miles with K&N or Mobil 1 filer and full synthetic
-Sea Foam every 20k miles

-Not in this picture, but I also put a "Fujiwara Tofu Shop" vinyl on the passenger door. As it is in essence a Corolla hatchback. It may be a FWD Auto, but it is the great grandson of the Hachi Roku, so I have the style as a tribute car.

I've had it since 64k miles and just rolled over 182k now. I've driven it completely across the country from Washington to Florida and it's ran 1,000s of trips for Uber/Lyft in its lifetime as well.
I have only had to change brakes, oil, transmission filter and fluid once, and replaced the radiator fan twice. This car has been perfect, fun, practical, and reliable. I plan to keep it forever. It is by far THE BEST car I've ever owned. I have owned 12 cars before it and 6 cars after, everything from Hyundais and Hondas, Fords and Chevys, VW and BMWs, Toyotas and Nissans. The only one that came close was it's Cousin an 2004 Corolla, which is the same car but a sedan instead of a wagon, which would be my 2nd choice for a vehicle.

Keep your car, put money into it if you want to. It won't demand it from you, but you'll enjoy it more if you do.

Thank you!!!! This is awesome and has given me some wonderful ideas, love the white on matte by the way!