2006 Pontiac Vibe front wheel drive - motor mounts

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Aug

2006 Pontiac Vibe front wheel drive - motor mounts

Post by Aug »

I live in the state of Virginia - with the "great" car inspection program. Today my 2006 Pontiac Vibe got rejected for its annual state inspection for failed front and rear motor mounts. Great. So I do have a couple of questions:

1. I would like to double check, or "verify" the claim that the engine mounts are bad. I 'believe' you have to have the car in park while someone else pushes it back and forth and measures the amount of deflection?

2. They didn't say which one specifically failed, just that the front and rear engine mount. The repair center also didn't say how much deflection there was - shouldn't they?

3. The check engine light is on, and I need to read the code(s). Couldn't a rough idling or running engine give a false impression that the motor mounts are going bad?

4. The big $$ question: My mechanical skills are intermediate, so how much of a pain would it be to replace all of them? Looks like from the Haynes manual, there's 4 motor mounts. I do have a good inventory of mechanics tools, and I do have an engine hoist.

Thanks!