Block Heater

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
HammerHead

Block Heater

Post by HammerHead »

Since the SEARCH feature has been disabled I will ask this question. Has anyone installed one of these block heaters? I searched for an hour trying to find the hole (no jokes please), but couldn't find it. So, I went the dealer to see how much they would charge me and the said $137.50. There is NO WAY I'm paying them to do this. Any help out there??? Thanks
Hammer
joatmon

Re: Block Heater (HammerHead)

Post by joatmon »

I know there are people here with block heaters, especially those way up north. I don't have one, and didn't need one last winter.Looking in the service manual, (which is pretty inadequate on block heaters) it looks like there is a thing the book calls the "heater cartridge" which just clips on to the outside of the engine block somewhere. So, it seems as if there is no hole, it is an external block heater. Installation looks as simple as clipping the heater to the block, and then running the wiring over by the battery. Would help to get someone with one already installed to take a picture or two.Was the $137 for just installation labor, or was it for parts and labor? How much does a block heater cost for just the parts?
Altus

Re: Block Heater (silverawd26)

Post by Altus »

You are correct -- installing the block heater requires:1 - drain the coolant2 - remove one of the drain plugs in the block3 - install the heater into this opening4 - run the wires to where you want the plug located5 - fill the coolant, run, test for leaks, and get the air out of the system.As someone who's done it before, if the dealer wants $140 to install the thing for you, I'd go for it....
2003 Shadow Vibe -- Alloys, Auto, and Allota fun!Vibe #4,873Sadly, traded-in for a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I only had the book at the time, would like to see a pic of an actual Pontiac installed block heater to be able to compare it to the book to see if the book is wrong, or if I don't know how to read
AKLGT

Re: Block Heater (joatmon)

Post by AKLGT »

i have a block heater in mine. haven't needed to use it yet. but yes, $140 is cheap for installation.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
DavidPIL

Post by DavidPIL »

Hi there...Just ordered mine for my GT. It doesn't usually get too extremely cold here for too long but I still think I want to be prepared. It always seems I need to hit the high-ways on the coldest of days. ALways running late so it would be nice not to have to worry about doing bad things to the engine. I'm going to try to install it myself so I hope it's not too labor intensive. I'll let you know how things go here when I get it installed (or not)Dave
joatmon

Re: Block Heater (DavidPIL)

Post by joatmon »

Dave, I see your signature has: *Wish List...*CAI - Krera RacingYoiu probably ought to readhttp://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=3693 and http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=5274 before you commit to Krera Racing
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

quote:Since the SEARCH feature has been disabled I will ask this question. Has anyone installed one of these block heaters? I searched for an hour trying to find the hole (no jokes please), but couldn't find it. So, I went the dealer to see how much they would charge me and the said $137.50. There is NO WAY I'm paying them to do this. Any help out there??? Thanks You really don't need it. We have members in Ontario who don't use their block heaters, as they are standard in Canadian models. You definitely do not need one in IL. But, it's your call.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
DavidPIL

Post by DavidPIL »

Hi joatman,yeah, I actually put it on the list from just reading their statements on their web-site. I'm not sure I'm a good candidate for such an upgrade nor am I sure I'll stick with my current "wish". I just want a little more noise and the knowledge that I have a little more go for passing. I'm actually quite happy with the stock set-up but it's only a couple hundred bucks. As for the Engine Block Heater, I know it may not be a neccessity but it's not such a major expense to give me a little peace of mind. Dave
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Dave, I wasn't saying to not get a CAI, just that you probably should avoid that particular vendor. They tried to rip off trdvibe over an aftermarket hood. A lot of people have CAI's and swear by them as an easy, cheap, and powerful mod. Krera= - CAI= ===================================================I looked at the service manual again, and I don't think there's any way I could be misinterpreting the block heater installation/removal instructions. According to the service manual, the Vibe block heater just clips on to the outside surface of the engine block. If anyone with a Factory or GM installed block heater can check theirs out and see if it's an internal or external device, let us know.
dmitri

Post by dmitri »

i dont think krera is even a company lol. there is no way to even reach them.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

ok, so my question is this: when you say cold, how cold are you talking about? 30F, 10F, 0F, -20F, -60F? I've had block heaters on 4 vehicles and i've never used one on any of them. it can get to -30F here. now, i understand the vibe's battery isn't so great, but i don't think the block heater does anything to the battery. red, did you have any probs with yours last winter? fairbanks can get to -80F outside in extreme conditions.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
MadBill

Re: Block Heater (trdvibe)

Post by MadBill »

There are several reasons to use a block heater in cold weather:o Batteries lose capacity as the temperature goes down, and the oil thickens, thus the feeble Vibe battery cranks slower and slower until a no-start results.o An hour or so of blocker heater use at a price of pennies/day allows easier cranking, quicker heat for comfort and defrost, warmer cylinder walls for reduced lubricant wash off by gasoline and faster circulation of oil for reduced engine wear.o Many serious car racers use pre-warmed oil and coolant to aid durability.
joatmon

Re: Block Heater

Post by joatmon »

I found this previous thread about block heater installs, but unfortunately Frosty's pictures no longer exist, so I can't see what it looks like.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=978
HammerHead

Post by HammerHead »

That was just for the labor. I already have the part.
Hammer
HammerHead

Post by HammerHead »

By looking at the plug itself, it has no way to seal. It does have a clipon it. So, I don't think it goes into a freeze plug.
Hammer
AKLGT

Re: Block Heater (MadBill)

Post by AKLGT »

thanks madbill. i didn't know that. i will keep that in mind this winter.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
DavidPIL

Re: Block Heater (trdvibe)

Post by DavidPIL »

Hi All...Well, got the block heater today. I think I was expecting more from this. It's just a metal probe that apparently slips in and attached into a designated slot on the driver's side of the engine. I honestly thought it was more complex with the need for draining the coolant and and attaching a heating element to something in there. The photos I've seen makes it look like there's a heating element that is attached to some thermostat looking thing. This is something that won't be too difficult to install nor should it cost $100+ bucks for the install from GM. (I've seen a price over $100 quoted in another post) The only thing that might be difficult is being able to get to the part of the block without lifing the car up then figuring out how to route the plug to the grill. If I remember, I'll take pictures as I install so you see what I did.Dave
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

So, you both have the block heaters in your hands and it is an external type, clips on to the outside of the engine block. at least the service manual was correct then. I feel all vindicated and stuff
DavidPIL

Post by DavidPIL »

Hi all...Well, I just got done installing the block heater. The instructions, though relatively accurate, were a bit vague in the actual process. They used rough drawings instead of accurate illustrations... well, what can you expect for a part that probably should be installed at the dealership...Someone posted pics of their install but the pics don't show up anymore. I believe they said something about not being able to actually see the block heater in the pics, that you have to follow the wiring... well, that is very true. The instructions showed a drawing of the area in which to look for the machined hole. The area has the 2zz stamp on it though with the 2zz, the machined hole is maybe 8" closer to the front of the block. You can not see the hole unless you move the rubber intake tube and then look from the driver's side of the engine (from over the Fuse box). It's almost directly below that but still maybe 8" further down. You can see the hole just below a shiny 3/4" or so, tube (Have no idea what this tube is though). If you find the hole, I would suggest, while standing in front of the car, to try to reach for it and feel find it by touch with your right hand. I managed to do this and it helped me plot my path for the heater itself. THere is also a set of wires which "Y" just below where the heater goes. This will help you place the heater as well.I moved the heater core into place position it resting on the "Y" of those wires... Then I double checked my position of the heater core by once again looking toward the engine block from driver's side, over the fuse box. I then went back to the front of the vehicle, put my hand back to where the heater core was, remembering the general position of the core, I moved it to where I remembered the hole was and gently moved the core till it was at the tip of the hole. Slowly I pushed it in, twisting it slightly to aid in the insertion (there is a pipe, this shiney one mentioned earlier, and wires than might be slightly in the way. Pushed it in till it could not go in any further. Double checked the position to make sure it was inserted all the way then routed the wires around the battery to the well just behind the headlight.It's a garage-kept vehicle though the garage is open. I guess more like a 3 sided car-port really. Anywho, I wish I was able to plug it in without having to lift the hood but I don't think that will be an option because of the wire routing and shortness of the wires itself.I will take pictures if anyone needs them but I think if you have GM's instructions and read what I wrote, you should be able to figure it out.Oh, this took me about 2 hours though an hour and 30 munites were used uo in just trying to find where the machined hole was.Dave
HammerHead

Post by HammerHead »

Got my Block Heater installed today. I had a friend who is a mechanic install it for me. It took longer to find the hole than it did to install. The block heater slides into the machined hole and clips in place. It took a whole ten minutes for him to install. Glad I didn't pay $137 bucks to have that done. I will use that money to have my Hotchkis Springs installed. We also installed my Borla Exhaust today and boy is there a big difference. So, today was a good day. ;o))))
Hammer
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Well I lived in the north country where it would stay -43C for about a week the block heater worjked fine, until the battery began to freeze, bought a battery warmer to keep that from happening again. Block heaters are a good investment however unless your in an ice box hell where I was you rarely need to plug it in. My Old saturn SL1 never got plugged in here in Calgary and started every morning even at -20c. The biggest thing is how much cranking amps your battery has to turn the engine over until it starts. On a side note still can't believe that a friend of mine when he moved up here from Jamaica thought our cars were battery powered because we had plugs hanging out of them..hehe still kills me to this day.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
applebit924

Re: Block Heater

Post by applebit924 »

I'm replacing bulbs on my 2007 Vibe and found this as a reference:

https://www.lightbulbs.com/automotive/2 ... ight-bulbs