Vibration? around 65 mph

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
deira

Vibration? around 65 mph

Post by deira »

Summary : My exhaust rusted at the rear axle and broke a few years ago. Decided to finally throw a new exhaust on and the car feels different. Feels a little slower. With that said, it felt VERY different around 65 mph on the highway, I can't think of any words to describe it. Car seemed fine 0-60 and 70+ mph, but right around 65 felt WEIRD.

I don't know where to start.
What should I start doing my research on? Back pressure? O2 Sensor? If its running lean? Fuel pressure or pump?
andrewclaus

Re: Vibration? around 65 mph

Post by andrewclaus »

I caught mine from doing that just in time last year. I was going to replace the gasket but the flange was nearly rusted off. I replaced the pipe from the cat converter to the muffler, which includes the resonator. Mine sounded a little different, from the aftermarket resonator, but drives the same.

If yours broke at the axle, that means your muffler was disconnected. A new muffler in the system would reduce engine power a little. If you got used to driving without a muffler, I could feel different with one. There could be loose heat shields causing a vibrating noise, but the car wouldn't shake.

If the check engine light is on, get codes read to determine if you have a fuel or O2 sensor problem.
deira

Re: Vibration? around 65 mph

Post by deira »

Thankfully no check engine light. I was thinking it was just because I'm not used to the car with a full exhaust system (as you stated), but I wanted to see if there was anything I should check out. Thanks!