Blower Motor wires are hot

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
ygatorvibe

Blower Motor wires are hot

Post by ygatorvibe »

My blower motor sometimes does not come on. I got under the glove box a few times and got it working again by disconnecting and reconnecting the connector. I just assumed it was a bad connection. Tonight it stopped working again so I looked into it a little more and I found that the wires are getting warm very quickly. It also does not seem like the connector is an issue, but the something with the wire bundle.

Is it normal to get warm. Any recommendations as to what next to do?

Probably of no use, but attached is a picture of it disconnected.

Thanks
vibe-blower-motor-connection.jpg
vibe-blower-motor-connection.jpg (893.46 KiB) Viewed 481 times
andrewclaus

Re: Blower Motor wires are hot

Post by andrewclaus »

The blower is a fairly large load, so some resistance heating makes sense, especially at a connector. (I notice a warm plug when I put the house vacuum cleaner away, for instance. But I've never checked the Vibe blower motor, and probably never will.)

If you can feel a spot heat source, investigate it by removing the harness cover in that area and look for damage. Check connectors carefully for discoloration and clean them well, and apply an antioxidant paste.

Another possibility is that the motor is failing and drawing full electrical load, not enough to blow the fuse but enough to warm up the wires. Connections often get the hottest, so it's weird that that's not the case here. I've pulled the fan before to clean some debris out, and it's very easy to get to, at least. New motors appear to be fairly inexpensive, under $50.