Low beam headlights, not DRL, on 100% and no foglights

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
mntn-biker

Low beam headlights, not DRL, on 100% and no foglights

Post by mntn-biker »

2003 Vibe base. My low beams are on all the time. There is no difference between DRL and my low beams at night. Also, at some point, I noticed my fog lights also stopped working. Thinking the 2 issues are related. Any ideas? I just don't want my full power low beams on all the time. Getting my fog lights back would be a plus. Don't care if my drl's aren't on during the day. Don't have an issue with turning lights on/off manually if it's an easy fix.

Did a bunch of searching and found some drl threads but not sure if those apply to my issue?
2003 base model
joatmon

Re: Low beam headlights, not DRL, on 100% and no foglights

Post by joatmon »

at night, the light sensor in the left corner of the dash top will cause the headlights to come on full. when it senses enough light (day), it should revert back to DRL, as long as the headlight switch isn't set to headlights. If you set the switch to off and still get full headlights in the day, make sure you don't have anything covering that sensor in the dash top

First thing I'd check on the fog lights are the bulbs.
Head and fog lights share the same control in the turn signal lever, if everything else is fine it could be that.
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

Sounds line you are eluding to the turn signal lever? I will add to your diagnosis that I was occasionally having an instance where my hi beams would be on when I start the car in the am. A little wiggle and flashing them off and on would turn them back off. Seems like I should be shopping for a turn signal lever.
2003 base model
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Having to wiggle the turn signal lever to get hi beams to go off sounds like there is something wonky in the turn signal lever.

There was a problem with some early 03 Matrixes, and to a lesser extent some 03 Vibes where the turn signal lever could cause the headlights to come on randomly at night when cold. Toyota put out a TSB on it, https://www.tsbsearch.com/Toyota/EL003-03 but it doesn't include the procedure to replace the turn signal lever. This record breaking summer makes it unlikely your issue is cold related, but after 20 years, definitely possible your switch is suspect.

That TSB gives the Toyota part number as 84140-02200, and there's lots of them on ebay, a number are sold as "new" for around $25, I wouldn't go for a used one.

I couldn't find a procedure specific to Vibe/Matrix, but I found a youtube for a right hand drive corolla, and if Vibe/Matrix is similar, look like you don't have to pull the airbag or steering wheel, which would be really nice to not have to. I got a kick out of the video where the tech struggles to get the cover trim off, and to undo the electrical connector. That's the kicker in reading a procedure, it will list a simple step like "Disconnect the connector" and you have to spend seemingly endless time trying to figure out exactly how to do that.

edit, found a better video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7UV8bkDOdg

Anyway, good luck, hope its an easy fix. Let us know how it goes
Last edited by joatmon on Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

Thanks Joatmon! Your continued presence on this forum is very much appreciated!

I think I am going to opt for OEM equipment ACDelco D6253C for $75 on Amazon. I don't know what kind of quality the $25 ones from China would be.
2003 base model
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

Is the Toyota 84140-02200 the same as the AC Delco part I referenced above? I'm considering going the $25 route since it looks like I now need to replace my ac compressor clutch.
2003 base model
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

Well, the Toyota 84140-02200 fits just like the OEM Pontiac however...the Toyota fog light switch can only be turned to the on position if you have the headlights in the manual on position. Not a biggie, but kind of annoying. I haven't had time to drive the Viberator around to see if the DRL is working as it should to control by nightime headlights vs daytime headlights since I have had my ac compressor off the car since Monday.

joatmon - My fog light bulbs were burned out :oops: I had replaced them not too long ago. Wondering if maybe that turn signal switch doing funky things smoked them at the same time. I have new bulbs arriving today. We'll see what happens.
2003 base model