New owner. 07 with 158k

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Ofhs93

New owner. 07 with 158k

Post by Ofhs93 »

Just wanted to introduce myself and throw a little info out and maybe a cpl questions. Did my homework (I think).
Picked up an 07 with 158k miles…car has been in the same family from day 1. Had a solid carfax service history to go with it. Hardly a hint of rust on it (a miracle for a life long PA car). Everything works…drives and shifts well etc.
1st question is trans fluid change interval. It LOOKS like it had possible been changed at 53k miles (carfax service just says transmission serviced) that was in 2010. Just wondering if 100k miles and 13 years is too long to be wanting to drain and replace at this point. I’m aware of the whole too often is no good and doing it after too long is also not good. Just looking for tips from those who have owned these.

Thanks and looking forward to learning lots here :)
SSizler

Re: New owner. 07 with 158k

Post by SSizler »

Welcome to the site!
I would change the transmission fluid now and again next oil change, then every 3rd or 4th oil change after that.
That is just me.
It is an easy task using the drain plug, and no need to drop the trans pan if is FWD.
There is only a screen in it, not a filter.
Just measure what you drain out and replace the same amount.
Use only Toyota T-IV transmission fluid. I get it from the local Toyota dealer for about $36 per case (6 bottles).
Use a new crush washer each time also. I buy 2 at the Toyota dealer when I get the fluid.
Might as well get new oil drain plug crush washers while you are at the dealer. I buy them 6 at a time.
Use a torque wrench and don't over tighten the plug,

Enjoy the Vibe.
They are awesome cars if you maintain them.
2003 Vibe Base/ Frosty White Mono/ Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD/ Lava Red Mono/ Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg/ 150k mi
2006 Vibe Base/ Stealth Gray Mono/ Loaded w/Leather/ 180k mi
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Ditto all the above. I got my Vibe under much the same circumstances, except I was pretty sure the ATF had never been changed. I drained and dropped the pan, replaced screen and gasket (count the bolt holes to get the right gasket), and added fluid. Then did the fluid again roughly as described above. The drain plug in the pan makes it a snap, but when you drop the pan the first time do it over an old piece of cardboard. Now, 70K miles later, it appears healthy and still shifts fine.
lexicon

Post by lexicon »

You may wanna read past posts on other owners experience, but, many state that the filter has pretty much been clean upon experience. For sure do two or three fluid changes and then decide if you want to drop the pan. Ive got 250k on my transmission and have only changed the fluid periodically. Yes, regular changes are important, but you also dont want to stir up problems with a complete flush at this mileage.... just my opinion
2005 VibeAutomaticStockNon AWD125 hp model
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. Can't throw my 2-cents in as all my vehicles are manual transmissions 8-) Post pics when you get a chance and visit often :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Ofhs93

Post by Ofhs93 »

Thanks for the input. I’ve heard conflicting thoughts from family members who are long time mechanics so have been hesitant to drain it quite yet. The whole worry of once you go a certain period of time then the material in the fluid is acting as friction enhancement for the trans to shift properly. I’ll have to get things together and tackle it next oil change.
2003Vibeyota

Post by 2003Vibeyota »

One thing I would add is save the old fluid when you drain it. If it starts to slip with the new fluid, drain it and put old fluid back.