Oil filter

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
awdVibeNoobie

Oil filter

Post by awdVibeNoobie »

I know these first gen Vibes have a Toyota engine. When I buy car parts, I try and buy OEM when I can. When I was searching on amazon, I used a Matrix and this part number came up 90915-YZZF2, is this right oil filter? It wanted me to provide more info of the Matrix and I clicked on base but didn't have an option for awd. So then I used a Vibe in the amazon search and clicked on the ACDelco filter (part number PF1233) and it asked for more info and I clicked on base and awd which said this fits, so I know it's correct but not 100% for sure if the Toyota filter is what I need?
03 awd Vibe my backup vehicle
Caretaker

Re: Oil filter

Post by Caretaker »

Yep, the Toyota oil filter number you have is exactly correct for the Corolla, Matrix and first generation Vibe
Mark

Post by Mark »

I use this filter and Mobile-1 0W-30 oil in all three Vibes.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Mark wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:27 pm I use this filter and Mobile-1 0W-30 oil in all three Vibes.
I personally won't run the 0- series oils in my Vibe, and I'm not sure I like my wife's Mazda using them. We're in Houston, and considering the temperature is very rarely below freezing - and often into the 100's - extremely low weight oil won't actually protect well. So, consider where you are. Heck, if I only used the car during the summer, I'd run 30 weight :)
awdVibeNoobie

Post by awdVibeNoobie »

I bought one at the local Toyota dealership as I didn't want to wait for amazon. What is the difference between the filters 90915-YZZF1, 90915-YZZF2 and 90915-YZZF3?
awdVibeNoobie

Post by awdVibeNoobie »

Bookworm wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:24 pm
Mark wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:27 pm I use this filter and Mobile-1 0W-30 oil in all three Vibes.
I personally won't run the 0- series oils in my Vibe, and I'm not sure I like my wife's Mazda using them. We're in Houston, and considering the temperature is very rarely below freezing - and often into the 100's - extremely low weight oil won't actually protect well. So, consider where you are. Heck, if I only used the car during the summer, I'd run 30 weight :)
What year is your wife's Mazda? If it's fairly new, there is a reason why car manufacturers now a days use very thin oils in their engines is because of the tighter tolerances these engines are made. You can cause damage if using thicker oil.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thirty weight is thirty weight is thirty weight, no matter the outside temp. It's 30w at operating temp, which is all the 30w matters for. Whether the temp is 0º or 100º when you start the car, it's a cold start. 0w flows better than 5w or 10w, and the only difference between a 0w-30 and a 10w-30 is how it flows when it's cold. And whether the engine operating temp is 200º or 175º, 100º is still a COLD start.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

awdVibeNoobie wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:33 pm
What year is your wife's Mazda? If it's fairly new, there is a reason why car manufacturers now a days use very thin oils in their engines is because of the tighter tolerances these engines are made. You can cause damage if using thicker oil.
2013. After the 2012 redesign, they apparently gave more leg room, so my wife, who is 5'11 with very long legs (and overweight), was comfortable in the 2013, but marginal in the earlier years.

The weird part about it is that some places say 5-20 for the Mazda, others say 0-20.

I'm trying to figure out exactly which is _really_ intended. Their default is 0w20, but Mexico is 5w30, or 5w20 in a pinch. I'm suspecting that considering where we are, I should be putting 5w20 into the sucker.

Oh - a "Cold Start" is not the same in 20 degree weather as it is in 60 degree weather. The low number is the viscosity level at some arbitrary minimum temperature (the 0W means 'winter'). The high number is the viscosity level at operating temperature of the vehicle (roughly 212F). It has nothing to do with the ability of the oil to coat the cylinders when sitting - rather it's the ability to be pumped through the engine when at nominal ambient temperature

https://www.rymax-lubricants.com/blog/w ... ally-mean/

So, in Houston, in the winter, I could use a straight 30 weight oil most of the time. In summer, I could probably get by with a 50 weight oil. However, if we hit a cold snap, then 30 weight wouldn't cut it. It's only good down to about 50 degrees before it's mud. Conversely, if it gets above 85 or so, then it starts getting too thin for the pump. So, you use a 5w30 for the Vibe. HOWEVER, Toyota apparently released a TSB saying you could also use 0w20. I'd suggest 0w20 for cold weather zones, not the Gulf Coast.

In short - if you use too low of an oil weight, it'll thin down too much to keep oil pressure up. If you use too high of an oil weight (or base oil weight), then the pressure will be too high, leading to an assortment of nasty problems.

Fun fact. Briggs and Stratton engines, like that in my lawnmower, are straight 30 weight, and doesn't even have to be SAE.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

awdVibeNoobie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:39 am I know these first gen Vibes have a Toyota engine. When I buy car parts, I try and buy OEM when I can.
For actual parts, most of us will use the Toyota parts department because AC Delco just gets them from Toyota and marks them up.

For maintenance items (like oil filters), you can use any reputable aftermarket brand that provides 'OEM or better' performance- Mobil 1, NAPA, Wix, & Purolator have performed well on tests (https://filtrationcomparisons.weebly.co ... sions.html). After that, it's really price and brand preference. Search the forum and you will find threads about the "best" <insert part here>... :lol:
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I'll say this - in 30 years or changing my own oil, I've had problems with _one_ brand unscrewing itself.

Wix. I've used it once, and I'll never use it again.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I've been using purolator oil filters, because that's what they sell at the parts store I go to, and because I can remember the filter number without having to look it up (14476). When I had a long commute, I was changing oil every other month.

I can't remember, for the toyota 1zz engine used in vibes and matrixes, they all use the same filter. Did the GT/XRS with the 2ZZ engine use the same filter as the 1ZZ?
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

joatmon wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:47 am Did the GT/XRS with the 2ZZ engine use the same filter as the 1ZZ?
That's what I was curious about also! I'll be giving my 2004 Vibe GT it's first oil change soon since I bought it 18 months ago :o
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

The F1 filter is designed for the 2ZZ... the F2 is for the 1ZZ. You can swap them around with no issue. Most run the F1 filter as it has a slightly larger filter capacity.... No idea on the F3 filter.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

zbyers wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:57 am The F1 filter is designed for the 2ZZ... the F2 is for the 1ZZ. You can swap them around with no issue. Most run the F1 filter as it has a slightly larger filter capacity....
The F1 filter is also used on 2009-2010 2.4L Vibes.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

vibenvy wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:15 am
zbyers wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:57 am The F1 filter is designed for the 2ZZ... the F2 is for the 1ZZ. You can swap them around with no issue. Most run the F1 filter as it has a slightly larger filter capacity....
The F1 filter is also used on 2009-2010 2.4L Vibes.
:D welcome back.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

If you think you'll own it for a very long time ... OR ... have a fleet of Vibes in your household, then you may want to consider purchasing them in bulk quantity :o It drops the price down to $3.50 per filter. I'm on my second case of 10 as we have three active Vibes to maintain :D

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I try to keep two filters on hand.

I won't use Wix again, however. It's the only brand, in 30+ years of oil changing, that I've had unscrew itself. Luckily it didn't come _off_ before I caught it, but it was leaking like crazy.