So, why Facebook?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Bookworm

So, why Facebook?

Post by Bookworm »

Why did people migrate away to Facebook?

I mean, the content is mostly here, it's searchable, and it's easier to separate out real content from general Facebook feed chatter.

It's also not locked out for non-members. (That lockout is counter-productive, as it means that people looking for Vibe information are basically... shtupped.)

So, is it just because one person said "I don't want to actually visit another web site! I want it to pop up constantly on my feed!" ?

Any way to encourage those people to come back _here_?
SeattleJeremy

Re: So, why Facebook?

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I stopped using Facebook years ago, and I'm not going back.

It's likely easier to Chat on, but I'd rather come here for real Vibe information.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
ZZvroom

Post by ZZvroom »

What is this FakeBook thing you mention?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

For most, I think it's just the convenience. I already am logged in and on Facebook. Why join ANOTHER website, and have to check there. I think another big aspect is there was a time frame when the forum was down quite a bit, no?

Outside of that, for the most part, I agree this website is better. Less chitter chatter, and easier to use and find the info.

At one point, I took every single major write up off of this website, and others, and converted them to PDFs. I had Mike upload them to here, and I uploaded all of them onto the FB page. That has been helpful on there, since we have a hard time getting people to get off of FB to come here.. Now they can download the PDF of the write ups. Sucks it doesn't bring the traffic in, but still sharing the knowledge.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Do they know the forum is back on-line and reasonably active again?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Bookworm wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:30 am Do they know the forum is back on-line and reasonably active again?
I'm sure they do... However, I will make a post on the FB. I will even link to this thread, and tell them to come join and give their input ;)

Anything you folks want communicated to them to try and get some of those peeps to spend time here?

Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

ZZvroom wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:57 am What is this FakeBook thing you mention?
Check your spelling. It is actually spelled FaceCrap.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
Natetrix

Post by Natetrix »

Better user interface, design, usability, more active people, etc... This is my first time logging on in years.
2006 Toyota Matrix 1zz turbo project car

Let er rip
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Natetrix wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:41 am Better user interface, design, usability, more active people, etc... This is my first time logging on in years.
The "more active people" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If people came here, it'd be more active.

I wouldn't say it's better user interface - if _I_ can't use it without a Facebook account, it's a terrible interface, and completely unusable.

If you can't use it without joining the "Elite" group, then it's again, not very usable, and the interface doesn't matter.

What would be necessary here to make it more friendly as an interface? (This is a serious question, BTW)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Facebook & drama go hand in hand and it's not for me :o . When the facebook site was public, I would occasionally browse the comments to see what was posted/shared and noticed the stupidity (sorry for saying that out loud!) of some of the members. A lot of it was general BS'ing and not Vibe related material. Over here, this site seems more for the serious car enthusiast who wants or shares knowledge specifically for the Vibe/Matrix line and I welcome that every day. I doubt many will return as old habits are hard to break BUT you may get a few. I'll be here as long as the site exists and I hope that is for a very long time
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Bastranz

Post by Bastranz »

zbyers wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:57 am
Bookworm wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:30 am Do they know the forum is back on-line and reasonably active again?
I'm sure they do... However, I will make a post on the FB. I will even link to this thread, and tell them to come join and give their input ;)

Anything you folks want communicated to them to try and get some of those peeps to spend time here?
Hi there! Heh, the forums kind of died down a bit. I just find Facebook to be easier as I'm already on the app anyway with other groups and such.

It's nice to see people back here, though! Of course, my Vibe is now gone, so I probably won't be visiting here as much as I used to.
Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
Moved into the next generation, what's new is "Azúl" 2010 2.4 Vibe, AWD
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Bastranz wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:01 pm
zbyers wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:57 am

Hi there! Heh, the forums kind of died down a bit. I just find Facebook to be easier as I'm already on the app anyway with other groups and such.

It's nice to see people back here, though! Of course, my Vibe is now gone, so I probably won't be visiting here as much as I used to.
That sounds like the best reason to have stopped visiting the Vibe forum that I've heard :)
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Anddd here is some feedback from Facebook users:

"I forget to check it, forget my username and password, it was down for a long time, Facebook is way easier to converse and a billion times easier to share pics."

"What car did those rims come from? Solstice? Also I like to use the forums too but they seem kind of dead but I do tend to get better, more detailed / lengthy replies than on Facebook, I like them both."

"People check Facebook constantly so you're apt to get a response pretty quickly. The same can't be said for specific websites."

"The few times I looked on the forum the posts I read were from a LONG time ago. I never did register, but I will. I remember on FB I asked my first question and someone said "check the pinned post," I didn't want to admit I never figured out where they were trying to direct me to go. I couldn't find any pinned post on FB and at the time I tried the forum again it happened to be down. I'll figure it out eventually."

aaaaaannddddd the essay:

"Honestly? The forums feel like when I was 15 and the internet first came out and everyone used forums to communicate. The html only interface feels extremely dated.
I use Facebook for everything social media. I even set up my classes so they can live stream my lectures (I teach college) for students who are absent or want to return to the material. It’s short, sweet, and simple with a quick and modern interface. I don’t own a computer and exclusively use my phone or iPad and Facebook has an app that makes it seamless.
The forums search function is more difficult to me than Facebook since I’ve used Facebook since 2004 when it was for college students only and I’m extremely comfortable and familiar with it. I can bring up specific content on Facebook without having to open forum posts.
And finally, while I was a longtime lurker on the forums, when it came time for me to make my first post, it took a week and a half to approve an account for me. By the time my account was generated, people here had long answered the question I had.
I still use the forums for historical knowledge—it’s how I knew to be prepared to log my mileage prior to the 299,999 freeze—and have several relevant posts bookmarked. But I haven’t and probably won’t post on them for all the reasons mentioned here."

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

tpollauf wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:41 pm Facebook & drama go hand in hand and it's not for me :o . When the facebook site was public, I would occasionally browse the comments to see what was posted/shared and noticed the stupidity (sorry for saying that out loud!) of some of the members. A lot of it was general BS'ing and not Vibe related material. Over here, this site seems more for the serious car enthusiast who wants or shares knowledge specifically for the Vibe/Matrix line and I welcome that every day. I doubt many will return as old habits are hard to break BUT you may get a few. I'll be here as long as the site exists and I hope that is for a very long time
Well, there was a bit there where people were posting totally unrelated content, hence the BS'ing. It still happens, but we've managed to cut it down quite a bit. As for the stupidity, well, that's what happens when you gather large groups of people with immediate access.

The frustrating part of FB is no one does research, and just will post the same question that was asked yesterday, since FB isn't about archiving the information. As others have said, it is the NOW, and no one cares about searching for older things.

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Don't sweat it guys. All good things must come to an end. Car forums have always been about new owners buying new models, learning new things about their new car: how to modify it; where to get maintenance parts; tips on performing maintenance in their driveway.......
This site has been dead for 5 years. The Vibe ended almost 10 years ago. This once vibrant site has gone through the cycle of life. Here's a historical breakdown:
2003-2006: I love my new Toyota Vibe - Pontiac Corolla. Best-car-ever posts. Where do I buy parts for my car posts. Posting pictures of a Vibe when we all know what a Vibe looks like posts. Making virtual friends and finding the one posted female member picture that everyone sucks up to and hits on posts (god, was that annoying).
2006-2010: We're all virtual buddies now so lets have some meetups in the midwest posts where we can awkwardly stand around and stare at each other standing in front of a car we've seen a million times, hoping that the hot virtual girl will show up to the meet.
2010-2014: Reminiscing about members who used to post all the time. Complaining about the genvibe website being too rigid and not allowing pictures to be posted easily, so I'm going to start taking my business elsewhere (aka: to facebook)
2014-2019: We are now down to 25 active posters.............then 15............then 10.............Posts are now 95% "welcome to genvibe" or "my car runs great, I can't understand what the problem is with you because my car runs great" posts. These latter ones are the kiss of death normally brought on by those who hijack dying websites. People come to forums for answers; not how wonderful my car is and there must be something wrong with you if your think our beloved Vibe is not worthy of the "greatest car in the history of vehicles" moniker.
2020: RIP Genvibe. What has needed to be mechanically documented has been thoughtfully and thoroughly done by some great people who have passed through this site. All that needs to be known about the Vibe can be searched on the internet using the keywords genvibe and whatever topic you require information about. As Norman Bates said to Milton Arbogast: "I don't know why I even bother to turn on the light. No one ever passes by here anymore."
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

What's interesting is that there are several active 'vintage car forums' out there - including for the original ford mustang, which hasn't been in production for 40 years.

I guess our cars just aren't old enough :)
Natetrix

Post by Natetrix »

Bookworm wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:35 pm
Natetrix wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:41 am Better user interface, design, usability, more active people, etc... This is my first time logging on in years.
The "more active people" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If people came here, it'd be more active.

I wouldn't say it's better user interface - if _I_ can't use it without a Facebook account, it's a terrible interface, and completely unusable.

If you can't use it without joining the "Elite" group, then it's again, not very usable, and the interface doesn't matter.

What would be necessary here to make it more friendly as an interface? (This is a serious question, BTW)
It's all BS HTML. No one want to deal with url codes for pictures. You still have to join GV and wait for approval, so signing up is no different than Facebook. So that point is moot. You can't respond or post on here without an account. Everything about Facebook is easier, as it's constantly being updated and made better. GV never changes. Is that what you're in favor of? Change is good :)

This platform needs updating. Badly. It still feels like using Myspace, honestly.

Let er rip
Natetrix

Post by Natetrix »

Bookworm wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:42 am What's interesting is that there are several active 'vintage car forums' out there - including for the original ford mustang, which hasn't been in production for 40 years.

Note that the older cars generally have an older fanbase. Which supports the idea that they don't like the idea of new technology. "Back in my day..."

It's a matter of not wanting to accept change. Admit it.

Society evolves and adapts. Go along for the ride.

Let er rip
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Natetrix wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:29 am
Bookworm wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:42 am What's interesting is that there are several active 'vintage car forums' out there - including for the original ford mustang, which hasn't been in production for 40 years.

Note that the older cars generally have an older fanbase. Which supports the idea that they don't like the idea of new technology. "Back in my day..."

It's a matter of not wanting to accept change. Admit it.

Society evolves and adapts. Go along for the ride.
Sounds like _you_ don't want to change, frankly. I'm an IT Consultant, and have been for 25 years. I use pretty much everything _but_ Facebook, because I don't need that level of data mining in my life. Everything else, I have to be conversant with as it changes constantly at my customers. I'm well aware of what it is, and isn't. It also isn't constantly 'updating'. It's just changing, like everything does. phpBB doesn't really need to change, but there are lots of add-ons to give additional options. Including interacting with other sites, like Google and Yahoo, for authentication purposes.

So, what I'm hearing is "The site was down for a while/slow registrations, Facebook was already there, so there!"
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I used to work at a place where participation in social media was discouraged, for various reasons, so when Facebook took off, I never signed up. I also have the counter example of a few relatives who are serious addicts, always checking their phones for the constant facebook notifications about what people are having for dinner, or comments on the weather. I don't have that job anymore, and now most of what I hear about Facebook is related to it being a preferred tool for foreign governments to meddle in elections by swaying gullible americans.

There was a time when I was trying to improve participation here, but I've let that go, for a number of the reasons that have already been offered in previous posts. When i first joined the forum, there was real enthusiasm, the novelty of the car, discoveries to be made, mods, and the long term maintenance topics that are most of the new posts were much less common.

So, I don't often log in here, but I do check it at least daily, guess I'm a bit of an addict. Not being a member, I can't/ don't check the private facebook group. I guess I could sign up for facebook, but I feel I already share too much info with google, and trust facebook's data mining even less than google's.

So, for you facebookers, if you see some good content show up in the group, post it back over here for those of us that can't/won't see it, and so it'll be around for later. There's a role for both the forum and the facebook group, both work best if its a cooperative rather than a competitive relationship.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

joatmon wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:28 amThere's a role for both the forum and the facebook group, both work best if its a cooperative rather than a competitive relationship.
I absolutely agree, which is why I have been trying to spend time here, and help out here, as I do on the Facebook group. TBH, there aren't many thing posted on the FB group that hasn't already been discussed here.

PS: you could sign up for Facebook using an alias and fake email and call it a day. :D

GORGO

Post by GORGO »

I have a facebook account but barely use it. I just get the wife to post on it since its mostly family. I pop in here once in awhile,registered about 10 years ago but used different names when I got new pc's & different providers.I haven't had too many problems with my Vibe but it's nice to come here & just do a search. I wouldn't know where to put the O ring on the canister filter if it wasn't for this forum, or how to fix the radio knob.
Previously known as,TONY-TAT2 /GODZILLA
09 Base bought new. 08 Pontiac G6 the Wifes bought new. 93 Vette 40th Ruby Red Anniversary Rag top 6spd.
SSizler

Post by SSizler »

Hello remaining Gen Vibers!
There are a lot of relevant answers and opinions posted on this thread.
I think Caretaker nailed it best.
I am a never-Facebooker, as I have seen what it has done to friends who have become addicted to it.
I don't need the drama, and find it hard to follow anything there when looking at it thru their accounts.
Facebutt just isn't for me.
I also believe that the Photobucket fiasco was a prime reason users left traditional forums, since many helpful posts were made practically useless with the images gone.
I've seen the same thing on most other forums I frequent, especially devastating to the diecast collecting forums that lost almost all of their photo content in 2017.
But, as previously stated, life is always changing / evolving, so keep up or get left behind. :evil:
Also, many of the younger folks use a phone instead of a computer, and facebook seems to be more efficient using scrolling instead of PC clicking.
That is crazy to me, as I have a difficult time using a tiny screen and constantly swiping, but that's just the way it is.
I will continue to use a PC with a large, easy to see monitor, and old fashioned forums and their harder-to-use photo posting interface because I am also old fashioned and harder to use. :lol:
Now I know what my parents meant about not understanding the younger generation, may they rest in peace.
It sure is fun getting old and obsolete. :roll:
2003 Vibe Base / Frosty Mono / Moon & Tunes / Auto / 206k mi / Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD / Lava Mono / Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg / 150k mi
Many other 2 & 4 wheel toys :mrgreen:
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

SSizler wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:20 am I am a never-Facebooker, as I have seen what it has done to friends who have become addicted to it.
I don't need the drama, and find it hard to follow anything there when looking at it thru their accounts.
Facebutt just isn't for me.
Awesome testimonial :D We must somehow be related (although probably close in age if anything ). Here's to watching your post count climb steadily upwards as you reach out to us for advice, or offer advice to us. :)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"