driver headlight much dimmer than passenger headlight

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Shrillcaleb153

driver headlight much dimmer than passenger headlight

Post by Shrillcaleb153 »

My passenger side headlight both lows and highs are brighter than my driver side headlight, I have had to replace the socket on the driver side once or twice and I think the bulb a time or two too. How can I fix this? I want to install leds so I can actually see at night, i dont want a socket issue or something ruining my new bulbs
Last edited by Shrillcaleb153 on Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bookworm

Re: driver headlight much dimmer than passenger headlight

Post by Bookworm »

Shrillcaleb153 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:06 pm My passenger side headlight both lows and highs are brighter than my driver side headlight, I have had to replace the socket on the driver side once or twice and I think the bulb a time or two too. How can I fix this? I want to install leds so I can actually see at night, i dont want a socket issue or something ruining my new bulbs
Check the connections. It sounds like you have a minor short, which is reducing the power available to the driver's side.

When you look at installing brighter headlights - think about the people you're blinding. You're not the only one on the road.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

There may be corrosion (increased resistance) in a connection somewhere. Since headlights draw a reasonable amount of current, that may mean that connection is getting hot, and may fail soon. This may be why you've had to replace sockets. If so, I'd look for the reason and fix that. Is a liner or cover missing, allowing water and dirt into the socket?

I'd check wire splices and ground points. A volt-ohm meter and wiring diagram would be needed for this. A non-contact IR thermometer may help, too.

My wiring diagram does not show any obvious common connections between the high and low beam circuits, so I don't see an obvious place to start.

And I have to ask the obvious--is the headlight lens clean? And have you tried changing bulbs from side to side?
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Could be as simple as a aging bulb OR foggy headlight lense. I would check the condition of the headlights first....if good swap out the bulb like one member said.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
jolt

Post by jolt »

When replacing the socket, be sure to buy a quality socket ( ceramic sockets hold up to heat the best ). The wire splice must be soldered. Shrink tubing the soldered wire splice to prevent the splice from going bad. Use a inline splice joint and then solder the joint and finish with shrink tubing to cover.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Master ... everytime/

You can check the voltage and the amp draw at each light and compare the readings. Bad connections or slice joint can cause lower voltage and/or poor current, which will cause the lamp to be dimmer.
Shrillcaleb153

Post by Shrillcaleb153 »

andrewclaus wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:13 am There may be corrosion (increased resistance) in a connection somewhere. Since headlights draw a reasonable amount of current, that may mean that connection is getting hot, and may fail soon. This may be why you've had to replace sockets. If so, I'd look for the reason and fix that. Is a liner or cover missing, allowing water and dirt into the socket?

I'd check wire splices and ground points. A volt-ohm meter and wiring diagram would be needed for this. A non-contact IR thermometer may help, too.

My wiring diagram does not show any obvious common connections between the high and low beam circuits, so I don't see an obvious place to start.

And I have to ask the obvious--is the headlight lens clean? And have you tried changing bulbs from side to side?

Yeah the headlight housings are clean.. one place had it fixed for a month or two but then it went out again. Like when the light Is on you can barely see it
20191123_223218.jpg
20191123_223218.jpg (374.83 KiB) Viewed 2397 times
(Heres a pic, sorry took me awhile to reply I took a break from this)
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

What bulbs are you running? Perhaps if they are low quality bulbs they are the issue? Or have you tried swapping those around, and confirmed it is indeed the wiring?

Did you solder in a new ceramic connector?
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Have you ever ran aftermarket bulbs that were over the OEM recommended wattage? If so, you might have damaged the plug. I had to solder new connectors on both of mine because it basically melted them from higher wattage bulbs. if the connectors look ok use a multimeter and check the voltage at each headlight. If they both show virtually the same voltage, then it's likely the bulb. Have you tried swapping the bulbs with each other? You could also run a temporary ground to the driver side plug to see if that fixes the issue. Keep in mind when if you do that, your DRL will run at full brightness because of how the car controls the DRL.

In a case like this, you have to just start some trial-and-error elimination until you find the problem.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
Shrillcaleb153

Post by Shrillcaleb153 »

ill try switching them.. im not quite sure what bulbs are in there right now. the bulbs in there now im pretty sure are the ones installed by the mechanic i went to fix the issue. i will need to get a multimeter to check the levels..