Flip Key retrofit

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
TinyHulk

Flip Key retrofit

Post by TinyHulk »

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a flip key for my 05' Vibe Base, with plans to get an aftermarket immobilizer.
I just need the key cut, however I'm unfamiliar with the standards used for Toyota/Pontiac blank keys, which ones are compatible and which are not. I was planning on going through eBay.ca or Amazon.ca as I'm looking for a visually appealing style of key, however I'm not picky.

Please let me know what would work!
05' Pontiac Vibe Base - "Bailey"
Sony XAV-AV3000, RSSW Velocity rims, Heated seats.
JDM fanboy.
joatmon

Re: Flip Key retrofit

Post by joatmon »

I don't know if you'll find a flip key one but the 03-08's used key fobs with FCC ID GQ43VT141. A different FCC ID most likely won't work.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

joatmon wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:45 pm I don't know if you'll find a flip key one but the 03-08's used key fobs with FCC ID GQ43VT141. A different FCC ID most likely won't work.
What Joatman said. I don't think there are any readily available "flip" keys. I don't think Toyota ever got into the flip key phase.

The second gen has a key & fob in one combo. Someone posted on the FB page the other day that supposedly some seller on eBay has modded or changed the circuit board so that it would work with the first gen. Not sure whether it's true or not as I don't think anyone has ordered one. :lol:

https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/vibe ... sbEALw_wcB
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Interesting topic here and one that hit's home with me recently. We had the wife's 2009 Pontiac G8GT at the dealership finally to have a couple recalls addressed. One of them was for the "accidental shutting off the car" while driving, due to a person's knee potentially bumping the ignition key and turning it to the off position. Obviously a design flaw on GM (or Holden) when the car was built. Anyways the only thing that was done was we got a new ignition switch AND a new "fixed key" to fit the ignition switch. No more "foldable, switchblade" style key. Dealer took it and replaced it with a fixed one :twisted: In summarizing this fix, all that was really done was the key/ignition switch was rotated 90' so that if your knee bumped it, it would hit the flat side of the key/fob and NOT rotate it, thuis keeping the car running.

So the few of them that are still out there in vehicles I'd consider lucky and keep them at all costs. Since this is the wife's car I rarely have to deal with the larger bulky key BUT that foldable key was nice.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"