2007 vibe exhaust leak and new maintenance

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
murdermitten99

2007 vibe exhaust leak and new maintenance

Post by murdermitten99 »

So I was redoing my coolant on the new (to me) 2007 vibe 1.8. Had the green coolant and I wanted to go back to Toyota red 😬 so when I was draining the block I found the source of my small exhaust leak. https://imgur.com/a/axmknxy

Anyone have history with exhaust damage like that?

Also with doing the coolant flush. I’ve found it pretty hard to get the radiator to kick on/circulate in and attempt to burp the system. I’ve water flushed it multiple times then just started putting red back in but haven’t been able to get it to kick on with the cap off/ coolant topped off for bubbles. I does push hot air now and the top rad. Hose is pretty solid/full of liquid.

Other random stuff, sorry if my ranting. Is it possible for me to shut off the automatic headlights at night/in dark? Ive been working on it multiple times and at night I can’t do anything about the auto head lights when started. Super annoying.
zbyers

Re: 2007 vibe exhaust leak and new maintenance

Post by zbyers »

1) Exhaust Leak-- That appears to just be a heat shield around the manifold. Unless the donut gasket from the exhaust manifold to the next piece of exhaust is gone, that shield wouldn't be the source of the exhaust leak. If you have a second set of hands, put the car up on jack stands and/or ramps. Have someone cover the tail pipe with a rag and their hand You should then be able to crawl under the car and hear where the leak is blowing back from.

2) Coolant Bleeding-- Are you holding the idle around 2k RPM? If you're just keeping it at the regular idle (750 RPM), it'll take forever to bleed the coolant system. I also recommend have the nose up in the air that way gravity forces the air bubbles to the top. A funnel like this is great for filling your coolant. https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Radiator- ... 126&sr=8-3

3) Auto Headlights-- Yes, you can disable the auto headlights. If you just unplug the sentinel in the upper left hand corner of the dash, you'd retain your DRL function, but the auto headlights would not work; you'd have control over them using the stalk. There are also the below write ups on adding switches to retain stock function, and disable. If you're like me, I am supposed to have the lights function as it came from factory for inspection. By adding the switch, I can just toggle it, and they're none the wiser. :D

Disable DRL/auto lights: viewtopic.php?t=897

Rewire fog lights: viewtopic.php?t=9844
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
murdermitten99

Re: 2007 vibe exhaust leak and new maintenance

Post by murdermitten99 »

thank you for the detailed reply

as far as the exaust leak and pics go. i was working solo so ill probably have to bag the tailpipe or something you can hear a pretty small leak driving though with higher rpms.

couldnt find that funnel but will be jacking up the front and running up the rpms to make sure systems has no air bubbles.

as for the lights im going to hold off before everything else since now my battery/ alternator is dying. getting a slow crank and sometimes the battery just gives up before start. checking the running voltage at around 13.5 which i thought was pretty low. luckily i believe i have a good battery so if the other one dies ill know its the alternator or a ground/wire.
im getting cheap since this is just after i redid all the brakes, front struts/sway bars,tires and like everyfluid flush.