General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
toovibes

Post by toovibes »

Hi, Thanks for let me join. We have two 1st gen Vibes, both automatics. Just found out the latest one has a bent rear axle beam. The previous owner said it was his mom's car and had been side swiped-drivers side. Everything appeared fixed and it seems to drive OK but we noticed bad weird rear tire wear-inner edge on both. Now the question in my parts search-how much compatibility between the Vibe and Matrix? It is a base model, FWD Vibe. I plan to replace the whole rear axle beam assembly-brakes and all. It get new struts and bushings. There are alot more Matrix cars available for parts. Also, this is 2005 Vibe, is 2003-07 the range for parts? The previous owner's mom used this as a work vehicle around her place, <90k miles so it's worth the repair. Thanks.
Bookworm

Re: New member

Post by Bookworm »

Vibe and Matrix, FWD, are pretty much interchangeable below the skin. You're looking at 2003-2008 for compatibility. The 2009 and 2010 aren't as good, because the rear glass doesn't open independently :) .
toovibes

Post by toovibes »

Thanks for the info Bookworm. I thought 03-07 but figured best to ask those owning the cars. We're in Sacramento area, fair amount of salvage yards to check. The axle replacement looks straight forward, will need aligned/shimmed afterwards.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

toovibes wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:38 am Thanks for the info Bookworm. I thought 03-07 but figured best to ask those owning the cars. We're in Sacramento area, fair amount of salvage yards to check. The axle replacement looks straight forward, will need aligned/shimmed afterwards.
I've never had to replace an axle, so I haven't a clue as to how easy or hard it might be. There are several folks here who have replaced rear ends, but I think most of those were AWD.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. And a "two Vibe " owner at that ;) You'll find a lot of us here are multiple Vibe owners! Seeing how you're in a part of the country that does NOT salt/brine the roads, your undercarriage on the Vibe should be fairly solid (rust free) to where wrenching off old parts for newer ones should be a breeze. Post pics of Vibes and keep us in the loop of things when repairs are made. We ALL benefit from it :)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

www.car-part.com

Use that site to search the yards near you. I have no clue how difficult the solid axle beam would be to replace. I would imagine it would be a little easier than the AWD subframe which can be a PITA (that whole rust thing)
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe