Rear Bumber for backup sensor install ?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Jbenrod

Rear Bumber for backup sensor install ?

Post by Jbenrod »

Does anyone know anything about the back bumper in regards to cutting the small holes and installing the 4 sensor heads on an aftermarket backup warning system? Some rear bumpers have a metal bracket or no void space which may mean having to remove the bumper or otherwise complicate installation. I'm hoping that I could mount the sensors and run the wires to the inside without removing the bumper.

Normally I would just go out and take a look but the Vibe is now being used by a family member who is 600 miles away. When they are visiting for a few days at the end of the month I am planning to complete a few mod's so I want to order parts in advance.

I think the hardest part of the installation will be mounting the four sensors in the bumper so thought I'd check and see if anyone has done that to their Vibe. I know a backup camera with a double din head unit would be the other option but I already installed a nice single din Pioneer a few years ago and believe the double din could increase the chances of break-in (it's parked in an area that this is a growing problem although maybe the double din units are no longer a target for most thieves?)
2005 Base - 220k
jolt

Re: Rear Bumber for backup sensor install ?

Post by jolt »

In the case of the '09-'10 vibe there is the bumper cover, the bumper, and sandwiched between the two is rear energy absorber foam. You may be able to find a breakdown of the parts used on the rear bumper on one of the GM parts stores on line.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

03-08 is basically the same as jolt mentioned.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

Good idea on looking for a parts diagram. Mine is a 2005 Base and I found one.

Just as you (jolt) mentioned, there is the visible outer cover over an absorber and then there is an impact bar (assume it would be metal). So I would have to drill at least through the foam absorber to push in the sensors heads and see if there will be room to snake the wires through the absorber and around that metal impact bar (or perhaps change bits and drill through the metal).

It's hard to think about drilling that first test hole in the bumper because there will be no going back if it becomes more difficult than expected. If anyone else has something to add to the conversation please do so as I'll wait a few weeks before deciding on this one.
2005 Base - 220k
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Call a local salvage yard and see if there's a crushed bumper they'll give or sell to you cheaply?