Exhaust manifold stud size

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
brandon4987

Exhaust manifold stud size

Post by brandon4987 »

Hi All,

I had a hell of a time getting the nuts off to remove the exhaust manifold from my recently inherited 2004 base Vibe with over 300k on the clock. After rounding a couple of rusted nuts off with hand tools, I was eventually able to get them out with a bolt extractor kit and impact wrench. During this, one of the studs sheared off pretty close to the block. I'll be removing the rest of the shortly and was wondering if anyone could provide with the measurements for a replacement stud? I've done a fair bit of searching online and couldn't find much info. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
zbyers

Re: Exhaust manifold stud size

Post by zbyers »

As far as I can see they are either M10-1.50 or M8-1.25.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
brandon4987

Post by brandon4987 »

zbyers wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:45 am As far as I can see they are either M10-1.50 or M8-1.25.
Appreciate it! After more digging I found a post on another message board for an M2 Spyder and believe them to be M8-1.25. I will make a run to the parts store this week once I get the broken stud out and will post back to confirm size for anyone interested.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I believe the screw that holds the spare tire in the cargo area is the same. you could try to take that out and thread it in to confirm.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
brandon4987

Post by brandon4987 »

Wanted to give an update. I got the broken stud out and also got a good one out for measurements. The measurements are M8-1.25 X 38MM. The studs also have a shoulder about a quarter way up the short end of the stud. I picked up a couple of studs from the parts store but the shoulder is too long and prevents the nut from fastening down the manifold. I'm wondering if I could get away with a stud that has no shoulder, but not sure if it'd just spin in too deep then or bottom out. I can't seem to find an exact replacement at any local stores, and am not turning up much online either.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Hacksaw and a grinder?
hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

I would say just stack a few washers or a spacer under the nut so it clamps the manifold properly without hitting the shoulder.
brandon4987

Post by brandon4987 »

Thanks for the advice. Before I put it on with washers I ended up calling a local Toyota dealership after finding the correct part number online and they were able to get them in the next day for me. For reference I have the 1ZZFE Engine. Toyota Part number for the correct studs is 90126-08043 and the nuts are 90179-08101. If ordering replacements be careful as there is another part no. listed for the studs which is 90126-08026, but they aren't the correct size. I'll be getting the new manifold on today, then start addressing the rest of exhaust that needs repair.

Thanks everyone!
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Glad to hear you managed to get the right part! Keep the forum updated with the results of your work. I never did my own exhaust work, it was always more cost effective to get the right parts and pay a shop to put it in.
brandon4987

Post by brandon4987 »

Bookworm wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:48 am Glad to hear you managed to get the right part! Keep the forum updated with the results of your work. I never did my own exhaust work, it was always more cost effective to get the right parts and pay a shop to put it in.
Absolutely will update and post as I make progress. I've always done basic maintenance on my cars such as oil, brakes and stuff, but never tackled a project like this and thought it would be a good learning expirience. This is the first car that I've been able to work on that isn't my daily driver, and boy what a relief that is to be able to take my time working on it. I inherited this car from my girlfriend who didn't want to put money into fixing it after having some suspension issues and the odometer maxing out at 299k lol. When she was looking for a new car, I jokingly suggested to buy another Vibe since it'd be so damn realible, and low and behold that's exactly what she ended up doing. Going to tackle the exhaust first then move onto suspension next. I got the new manifold in, and have to fix where the catalytic converter attaches to the resonator next.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

brandon4987 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:30 pm I jokingly suggested to buy another Vibe since it'd be so damn realiable, and low and behold that's exactly what she ended up doing.
So what Vibe did she end up getting? (year, trim, mileage, etc...) Assuming the price was right you probably paid cash OR a very small loan! Another great reason that you talked her into another one :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
brandon4987

Post by brandon4987 »

tpollauf wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:25 am
brandon4987 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:30 pm I jokingly suggested to buy another Vibe since it'd be so damn realiable, and low and behold that's exactly what she ended up doing.
So what Vibe did she end up getting? (year, trim, mileage, etc...) Assuming the price was right you probably paid cash OR a very small loan! Another great reason that you talked her into another one :D

She got another 2004 base model. She wanted to get a newer one or GT model , but we set a budget and stuck to it since we're currently saving to buy a house. Ended up finding a 2004 with only 85k miles on the clock. She got a great deal and paid cash for it . The car was taken care of extremely well and definitely garage kept. The previous owners were older and literally had every service under the sun performed at the dealer, the car fax on it was pages long of maintenance records.