help! -- torx bolt removal on belt tensioner pulley

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
raz

help! -- torx bolt removal on belt tensioner pulley

Post by raz »

Has anyone removed the T50 torx bolt from a 2003 or 2004 belt tensioner pulley (idler pulley)?

There is just enough clearance for a T50 L-wrench, but it is so tight it needs much more leverage than the 6-7" of the wrench. I've also tried a large crescent wrench for a handle on a T50 socket bit to no avail. (The space is too narrow to use the actual socket wrench handle). I've WD-40'd it over a couple days.

At my wits end. The indentation in the bolt is also so shallow that it's hard to even get a good grip. If you pull on it hard the wrench just slips out. Same thing if you try to give it a good whack with a mallet.

This is the part that was changed in 2005 I think to what all the Toyotas use, that six-pronged m10s bolt. Any tips greatly appreciated!
2003 Fiesta Red
Bookworm

Re: help! -- torx bolt removal on belt tensioner pulley

Post by Bookworm »

I have a pass through socket set for things like that. I've had to use it a few times on really narrow spots, like changing a sway bar link.

At harbor freight, they're called 'Go Through', at Lowes they're Xtreme Access sockets. I just use a quarter inch socket with a star bit. (not for that particular part that you're fighting with)

Good luck!
ihaveavibe

Post by ihaveavibe »

was it meant to come apart at all? you could remove the entire tensioner assembly and work on it in a vice. or if you lift the engine a little (which you would need to do anyway to get the tensioner out) you might get better purchase on it.
raz

Post by raz »

Hmm, yeah I have a Craftsman pass-through set. Problem is the handle needs the adapter insert to use the 5/16 socket that a plain T50 bit will fit into ... and that makes it too wide to reach in the gap. Guess I'll check for pass-throughs that can directly hold a 5/16 socket -- but what I've seen when you get that small is the handles get so short they're not up to the job.

The other alternative is to unbolt the engine and tilt it up like you have to do to remove the belt tensioner itself. Only it would require about 4" of lift to clear, instead of just an inch or so.

Also pricing taking it into the shop. Sucks to do that for what would otherwise be a simple job!
2003 Fiesta Red
raz

Post by raz »

ihaveavibe -- yes, it's definitely meant to come apart. But only 2 years of the VIbe (and none of the Matrix models) come with this silly bolt.

And yeah, an option could be to lift the engine, but it the pulley bolt is much lower down than the tensioner bolt.
2003 Fiesta Red
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

raz wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:47 pm Hmm, yeah I have a Craftsman pass-through set. Problem is the handle needs the adapter insert to use the 5/16 socket that a plain T50 bit will fit into ... and that makes it too wide to reach in the gap. Guess I'll check for pass-throughs that can directly hold a 5/16 socket -- but what I've seen when you get that small is the handles get so short they're not up to the job.

The other alternative is to unbolt the engine and tilt it up like you have to do to remove the belt tensioner itself. Only it would require about 4" of lift to clear, instead of just an inch or so.

Also pricing taking it into the shop. Sucks to do that for what would otherwise be a simple job!
Look for a sacrificial 1/4" socket wrench. Then add a cheater to it.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I think you're going to have a hard time removing just the pulley with it in the vehicle. i replaced just the pulley one, and then the whole tensioner assembly another time. Both times, it was easiest to unbolt the passenger engine mount, jack the engine up a bit, and remove the whole tensioner assembly. The tensioner assembly bolt will not clear the frame without jacking the engine up some.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
ihaveavibe

Post by ihaveavibe »

I vote for removing the whole tensioner : )

Slightly unrelated, but I have one of these Crafstman Max access sets folks are talking about, but it didn’t come with an adapter to put a standard bit into. I searched online and see that some sets come with one.. but I can’t find the part on its own. Anyone have a part number or a suggestion how to get one? I’ve in the past tried to put the bits in one of the sockets that came with the set but it falls out and so isn’t the greatest solution.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

ihaveavibe wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:55 pm I vote for removing the whole tensioner : )

Slightly unrelated, but I have one of these Crafstman Max access sets folks are talking about, but it didn’t come with an adapter to put a standard bit into. I searched online and see that some sets come with one.. but I can’t find the part on its own. Anyone have a part number or a suggestion how to get one? I’ve in the past tried to put the bits in one of the sockets that came with the set but it falls out and so isn’t the greatest solution.
I just used the quarter inch socket, but that's me. If you get a spare one, you can put some wax in it to help lock the bit in place.
ihaveavibe

Post by ihaveavibe »

I was watching a video on youtube of a tech taking apart an audi 2.0 engine and at the point where he takes the tensioner pulley off, he taps a hex or torx bit in with a hammer prior to attaching the wrench. Obviously engine was out of the car.