How to open a dead sunroof?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Jackstand

How to open a dead sunroof?

Post by Jackstand »

I searched the forums but couldnt find an answer to this question. I have a 2003 vibe gt. I believe my sunroof drains need cleaned. It leaks anytime it rains. But the motor is dead on it and I cant figure out how to get it open to work on it. Anyone know any methods? Thanks in advance!
vibrologist

Re: How to open a dead sunroof?

Post by vibrologist »

I found this video based on a GM vehicle. Hopefully it helps you. I'd first check the fuses, then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNuDFx35UW0
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Jackstand

Post by Jackstand »

Thanks a bunch ill give it a watch.
Jackstand

Post by Jackstand »

Pretty sure its the motor. I dont think that will work.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The sunroof gets power from the same relay and fuse as the power windows, so if you have power windows and they work, then its not a relay or fuse.

If it is the motor, you may have to drop the headliner and hope that you can take the whole assembly out. THeoretically it could also be the sunroof control, which is easier to replace, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot without just swapping it out with another

Since its been broken/inop, in the short term you could just lay a bead of black silicone RTV around the outside perimeter of the sunroof to really seal it, but if it were my car I'd rather fix it
Jackstand

Post by Jackstand »

Well I popped the switch out of the headliner for the sunroof, and someone had cut the wires to the switch. Thats pretty irritating. They cut it real close to the connector plug so im going to have to figure something out there.Hoping to get it all fixed right. Thanks for all the input guys.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Jackstand wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:54 pm someone had cut the wires to the switch.
I take it you have not owned this Vibe for very long? If the prior owner intentionally cut the wires, they either did it for a couple reasons. One, something is broke and this was a way to make sure it never got opened up. Two, someone wanted to P I S S O F F a certain driver who enjoys the sun. Three, it got left open once during a monsoon rain and soaked the interior so by cutting the switch they would not be able to make the same mistake twice! Four, use your imagination .....

Some of those examples I've personally lived through ... BUT would never go to the extreme of sabotaging the integrity of the wiring to the roof. Just curious so fill us in on some more details.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Its baffling to find out what previous owners have done to their cars. I can not come up with a reasonable justification to do something like that. Hope you can get it hooked back up, even if only enough to clear the drains
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I take it you have not owned this Vibe for very long? If the prior owner intentionally cut the wires, they either did it for a couple reasons. One, something is broke and this was a way to make sure it never got opened up. Two, someone wanted to P I S S O F F a certain driver who enjoys the sun. Three, it got left open once during a monsoon rain and soaked the interior so by cutting the switch they would not be able to make the same mistake twice! Four, use your imagination .....
I had sunroof issues on my old Volvo... It worked, but wouldn't close without some coaxing because it had little plastic arms that helped it lift up. After finally replacing it, i wrecked the car 3 months later lol. For a while, I simply unplugged the switch so we didnt' touch it.
Last edited by zbyers on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Jackstand

Post by Jackstand »

joatmon wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:37 am Its baffling to find out what previous owners have done to their cars. I can not come up with a reasonable justification to do something like that. Hope you can get it hooked back up, even if only enough to clear the drains
I agree. Whoever worked on this car last was a complete goondick. Why anyone would do all that is beyond me.
Jackstand

Post by Jackstand »

tpollauf wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:18 pm
Jackstand wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:54 pm someone had cut the wires to the switch.

Some of those examples I've personally lived through ... BUT would never go to the extreme of sabotaging the integrity of the wiring to the roof. Just curious so fill us in on some more details.
Oh I know exactly why they did it thinking back on it. The car lot that I bought it off of did it to keep any possible buyers from trying to open the sunroof and ruin the caulk gun seal they put on it. Which btw didn't work. It still leaks. I ended up buying a car cover for it until I can afford the new parts.