Replacement Head XM Receiver Compatibility

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Bookworm

Replacement Head XM Receiver Compatibility

Post by Bookworm »

I've finally tired of the half blank screen on the radio, the CD player working intermittently, poor reception, and inability to use USB or a media device.

So, do _any_ of the so-called XM ready head units work with the XM Radio already in the back quarter panel of the Vibes? Mine is a 2007 - I don't even know the model of the XM radio installed. Crutchfield shows that my XM radio won't work after installation - on everything.

Thanks!
ColonelPanic

Re: Replacement Head XM Receiver Compatibility

Post by ColonelPanic »

I can't say for reusing the stock XM, but unless there's a reason you had to keep the stock service (e.g. "lifetime" subscription) it seems the Sirius XM tuners are getting pretty cheap. Best Buy has the tuner on sale for 33.99. Crutchfield has it free after rebates, haven't looked into what the terms are for qualifying for that rebate however.

You'd probably have to install the new antenna, not sure if the factory one could be used with the aftermarket tuner.

There's a good selection of inexpensive radios that now support the tuner, that surprised me (it used to be reserved to much more expensive models.) I'd like to upgrade to that setup, but I still have a plug-n-play dock and tuner from 2004 that still works. The car doesn't get driven enough these days to make a dedicated subscription for it worthwhile. :(
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

.......but unless there's a reason you had to keep the stock service (e.g. "lifetime" subscription) it seems the Sirius XM tuners are getting pretty cheap.

After 116 months, I'm down to about $3.60 a month on my XM "lifetime" rental. I don't want to get rid of my Vibe until I'm down to under $3 which will be 24 months from now.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

That's awesome. I would have saved a bundle if I had went with a lifetime subscription on that tuner I bought so long ago.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Caretaker wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:21 pm
After 116 months, I'm down to about $3.60 a month on my XM "lifetime" rental. I don't want to get rid of my Vibe until I'm down to under $3 which will be 24 months from now.
I'm right up (or down) there with you on the amortized savings :D

2009 Vibe GT, 110 months of XM service = $3.80/month ! (was $399 lifetime and ZERO royalty fees!)
2007 Sirius boombox, = $2.40/month! (was $299 lifetime then)
2005 Sirius home station = $2.05/ month (was $299 lifetime then)

Somewhere in the early "tens" they started adding ROYALTY fees to all subscriptions. For those of us who gambled and went with an early lifetime plan, we didn't pay that extra fee. Not knowing the future (especially when we got out first satellite radio in 2005) I gambled that they would still be around and my investment would not have been a waste of $$$. It more than paid off since then and I listen to it pretty much around the clock where possible ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I'm in my car anywhere from two to six hours in a day (IT consultant driving from customer to customer), and I'd rather _not_ have to rewire everything.

I used to have a MiFi - I loved that. But it was stolen out of my car, along with my backpack/laptop, a mac mini, and damage to my center console.

Anyway - I figure I'll use HD Radio more, but I want the _option_ to activate XM radio. if I end up taking another 2000 mile drive to Michigan and back to Texas, paying for a three month XM radio membership would be worth it - just for the one trip.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Bookworm wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:48 pm if I end up taking another 2000 mile drive to Michigan and back to Texas, paying for a three month XM radio membership would be worth it
I totally agree with you there. Get one and go with the 6 month "XM select" package for $30. They just recently offered 12 months for $60. I grabbed that offer for my Silverado and my son's Vibe GT. I'll be driving down to Orlando again next month and the difference it makes having uninterrupted music is simply amazing. Even through the mountains I rarely get any disconnects! Love it :D

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I'll be moving that way....gulf-side.....in about a month. Decided to have the Vibe shipped instead of doing another 5 day trip towing it behind a Uhaul. It would be awful to make that 2500 mile journey knowing that 80s on 8 is on a trailer 10 feet behind me. I don't believe I ever got a flyer outlining the $60 a year deal. I've seen the 6 month offer for $30 many times........ TP: The main problem with those of us who got the $399 lifetime during that mother's day $100 off special so many years ago is that they won't allow us to transfer our "lifetime" to another unit; not even once. So once the Vibe is dead and gone, the only "lifetime" that will remain is the in-home, on the computer access.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

If you can figure out how to pull the XM receiver and use it with another radio, you could build it into a stereo box.

One radio, two speakers, an antenna, a wooden box, and a DC power supply, and you have a nice stereo system that doesn't cost much. When I was younger, they used to install that sort of thing into the wall of rental cottages and seaside condos. Harder for drunks to damage, and still works quite well.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Caretaker wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:03 pm I don't believe I ever got a flyer outlining the $60 a year deal. I've seen the 6 month offer for $30 many times........
Nobody got the offer ! I had to search the internet to discover it. Most of these promotional offers aren't advertised thus they hope you are willing to pay the higher rates! Here's one of my receipts showing the offer just last month:

Also PM me in a month if you'll be anywhere near the Orlando area and I'll swing by and visit you when I'm there. Only if you're already there by then.

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

TP: I sent you several PMs but I don't think it is working. They just keep getting dumped into my outbox and don't get delivered. :roll: