'06 Vibe, which fluids?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
PontiusVibe

'06 Vibe, which fluids?

Post by PontiusVibe »

Title covers the basics. Sits about 150k miles. What would be the best oil option? & filter brand?
Know it's 5w30, but from what I've seen on here, a few use 5w20.
I put about 60 to 80 miles a day, mostly highway, but it is used in town heavily at times.
Xerex Asian for the antifreeze, any other fluids I should be aware of the vibe being picky over?
TIA
'06 Vibe ~ base
ehoff121

Re: '06 Vibe, which fluids?

Post by ehoff121 »

For oil, I use Mobil 1 5W-30 and Mobil 1 M1-103 filter, though the oil change interval has more to do with keeping your engine running well than the oil type. You could also use 0W-30. Note that your oil capacity is 4.4 quarts.

You would also want to change/refill:
- Power steering fluid (I use Mobil Synthetic ATF)
- Washer fluid (Rain-X orange)
- Brake fluid
- A/C (check and charge with R-134a, if needed)

Also, lube all the door hinges/latches with white lithium grease spray.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
PontiusVibe

Post by PontiusVibe »

Thanks for the list of types of fluid you use.
1 question, with why I'm curious lol

By my understanding, when you change oil, you "prime" the filter with some of the oil you're using. The 4.4 quarts you've mentioned above, is that with or without?
( Yea I know it's a bit on the sad side, never personally changed oil have it done by family or at a business lol )
'06 Vibe ~ base
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

That's the total capacity. You fill the filter in order to get the proper pressure quicker. You could put the filet on empty . It would take a few seconds longer for the oil pressure light to go out. It won't matter to you because you are buying 5 qts. change the filter and add 4 qts, Then start the engine and check for leaks at the filter. Then you check the level and add if needed.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
PontiusVibe

Post by PontiusVibe »

:lol:
Hmm knew this vibe was needy, didn't think it actually liked McDs though :shock:
'06 Vibe ~ base
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

vibrologist wrote:You fill the filter in order to get the proper pressure quicker.
:shock:

I've been changing my own oil for 30 years over 5 different vehicles and have never pre-filled the oil filter. Not sure how I would get it on without spilling, especially the ones that fit horizontally...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
PontiusVibe

Post by PontiusVibe »

ive heard its used sometimes with some rides, just wasnt sure on this one. :shrug:
'06 Vibe ~ base
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

ehoff121 wrote:
vibrologist wrote:You fill the filter in order to get the proper pressure quicker.
:shock:

I've been changing my own oil for 30 years over 5 different vehicles and have never pre-filled the oil filter. Not sure how I would get it on without spilling, especially the ones that fit horizontally...
No need to be shocked. Pre-filling the filter is not necessary and with horizontally mounted filters you cannot pre-fill a lot without causing a mess.
If you can pre-fill it will shave a few seconds of the time it takes to build pressure. Let's say you start 600 x between oil changes ....... I think I quit my habit.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I used to prime the filter. Sure, it may have made the oil pressure light go out just a little bit sooner. But I stopped doing that when I had to walk to the parts store mid-project for another new filter. I had two 5 qt jugs of oil, identical in appearance from the outside. One had new oil inside and the other was refilled with what I just drained out of the car. Guess which one I grabbed and poured in the new filter... :lol:
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
PontiusVibe

Post by PontiusVibe »

I bought the oil filter the other day, holy jeez that thing is tiny... not used to them being so small lol
'06 Vibe ~ base
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Yeah, there isn't much to them.

The 2ZZ in the GT used a slightly longer filter. Those will fit the 1ZZ and provide a small increase in oil capacity. I've ran many of those over the years.

Image Image
PontiusVibe

Post by PontiusVibe »

Is there a different suggested brand of oil that's not horridly expensive? lol that mobil 1 stuff was nearly $10 a dayum quart!
so, yea, any chance anyone could suggest a cheaper oil that would still be good for this ride?
thanks in advance!
'06 Vibe ~ base
Mark

Post by Mark »

Mobil-1 full synthetic is usually $25 - $27 for 5qt jugs at Walmart. I use Mobil-1 0w-30 in my Vibes and 0w-20 in my Honda CR-V. I also only use NAPA Platinum filters on all my vehicles. I only change the oil on average twice a year, and I don't see the value in using cheap oil or filters. If I ever spot Mobil-1 0w-40 diesel I'll buy that, but for now my truck gets Rotella T6 5w-40.

I also pre-fill my filters every time. If you just fill it once the paper will soak almost all of it up pretty fast, I figure that will help the pump just a little bit. If I had a horizontal filter mount I'd probably still do the same thing, but make sure I didn't put more oil in that the paper could absorb.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
jolt

Post by jolt »

If you watch around, you can find deals on oil. Example: This month Advance Auto Parts has Mobil 1 oil (5 qt jug), Mobil 1 oil filter, and a roll of paper shop towels for ~$13.00 after rebate from Mobil. In store purchase only. You can do 2 rebates on this deal.

Another rebate oil deal that is running now is Pennzoil has a $10.00 rebate on 5 qts or jug of their synthetic motor oil too. You need to check on line but the big oil manufactures are always having rebate deals on oil.

The rebates are easy to do because there is nothing to send in. Just go to their web site, fill out the information for the rebate, attach a scan or photo of your invoice, and click send. I have received every rebate I have applied for, just read what is required and if questions, you can call them. I have gotten full synthetic motor oil for as little as $1.00 a qt after rebates. If I find synthetic oil for around $15.00 for 5 quarts after rebate, I buy it and stock up.

Note: These cheap synthetic motor oil deals are because the oils are not "true" synthetic. For a "true" synthetic motor oil, you would have to pay around $10.00 and up per quart. America has lower standards for what is called "synthetic". Search the web for more info.
PontiusVibe

Post by PontiusVibe »

I was just re-reading through here, cars been out of service, (expired tags, nothing mechanical), so am just now getting to get that problem (tags) fixed & still need the oil change, but after re-reading, I've noticed a few say use synthetic, but I didn't think the vibe took synthetic by default? I am pretty sure it's on standard stock oil type, (hasn't been flushed/swapped).
& honestly if it takes more $ than just doing the change to same type already in it, not sure I can afford to flush to synthetic.
does it start with synthetic oil? if not what's needed to go to synthetic beyond the oil? is there a flushing process for oil change type?
sorry for the long post & thanks for any & all help
'06 Vibe ~ base
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

These cars came with 5W-30 conventional oil from the factory. Synthetic for these cars is more of a preference, not a requirement. If you wanted to switch to synthetic, all you need to do is drain the old oil and refill with the new.

I've used conventional oils of various price points (store and name brand) for many years in the '03. I did switch the aging Vibe over to a high mileage synthetic blend a couple years back (Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30.) Pretty stout oil for a good price (usually costs me around $18 or less for a 5 quart jug.)

I do use full synthetic in our other vehicles, but both are turbocharged and demand much more from the oil than this 16 year old Corolla wagon.

Image Image
PontiusVibe

Post by PontiusVibe »

ok so swapping to synthetic is no harder than just using it instead.
now a bit of looking around to see which might be better to use, thanks!
'06 Vibe ~ base
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

PontiusVibe wrote:ok so swapping to synthetic is no harder than just using it instead.
now a bit of looking around to see which might be better to use, thanks!
Over on the Toyota Nation site, they have this extensive maintenance sticky. I have used it often.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132- ... hread.html
2003 Base Vibe