Down to Two

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
kc6yot

Down to Two

Post by kc6yot »

Well the oldest daughter hit a deer with the 2004 AWD, insurance company said it was totaled, son in law traded it in for a new car for her and got $4,000.00 on trade even with the damage. I just sold my 2006 Base Neptune blue 5 speed. All I have left is a 2005 Moon and Tune my youngest daughter's daily driver and my wife's 2006 Moon and Tune daily driver. Today I filled up my F-150 and after the $50.00 + gasoline purchase, I sure miss my old Vibe. The 2005 has over 200,00 miles and the only major repair I have had to do was the radiator fan, the wife's car only regular maintenance, has over 180,000 on it. Most reliable cars I have ever owned.
vibenvy

Re: Down to Two

Post by vibenvy »

Sucks to hear about the Vibe being totaled, but at least your daughter is okay.

Just curious, why'd you sell yours?
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
kc6yot

Post by kc6yot »

Retired, one less tag, tax and insurance payment. Also I am the only person in my family that knows how to drive a manual shift. The 2004 AWD was not damaged that bad, but per the insurance company the repair cost exceeded the car sell value. All it needed was a new headlight assembly, bumper cover and paint.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

kc6yot wrote: Also I am the only person in my family that knows how to drive a manual shift.

That's even MORE of a reason to keep it !!! With you being the only one able to drive it, NOBODY will mess with it and alter settings, change radio stations/volume levels, seating positions, trash left behind, etc... On the other side though, if there were an emergency where the car needed moved and you weren't around, well it would just sit. All three of my Vibes are all manual transmissions. Yeah I can only drive one at a time (one is a project car and currently not registered or drivable) but I like variety and YES I pay for it. Still reasonable in Ohio for now (registration & insurance rates that is) Similar to you, I will be retiring in 3-4 years and may change my tune on auto expenses.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
kc6yot

Post by kc6yot »

Well, as a back up car and no one but me can drive a manual, it was becoming useless except for me, but every weekend I always have a call for a pickup truck. One of the kids needs it for one thing or the other to move stuff. But when one of their Vibes was down, they took my truck because no one could drive the manual. When I advertised it for sale I jokingly said it comes with a 5 speed anti Millennials theft device. Got a good price for it, only had 124,000 miles on it. My hat is off to this site, nothing that has ever come up with maintenance that I could not search this site and fixed everything myself. Even the radio lights, the thumping noise in the dash, added cruise control to the base and so on. I am not a total trader, still have two registered in my name. I still love the aggressive look of the 2003, 2004 front end. PS you still know it was your picture that inspired me to do mine in front of the house. But as the kids moved to other places was hard to get all 4 in-front of the house at the same time.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

kc6yot wrote:Retired, one less tag, tax and insurance payment. Also I am the only person in my family that knows how to drive a manual shift. The 2004 AWD was not damaged that bad, but per the insurance company the repair cost exceeded the car sell value. All it needed was a new headlight assembly, bumper cover and paint.
Understandable.
tpollauf wrote:All three of my Vibes are all manual transmissions
You got a third one Tim?!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

vibenvy wrote: You got a third one Tim?!
Yep. Couldn't resist the offer and the timing was perfect. Orange 2004 Vibe GT, only 125k miles. Florida car ZERO rust! Had union conferences in Orlando during February so flew down one way and drove the Vibe back. You can see it in person at our GV meet June 30th!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

tpollauf wrote:Yep. Couldn't resist the offer and the timing was perfect. Orange 2004 Vibe GT, only 125k miles. Florida car ZERO rust! Had union conferences in Orlando during February so flew down one way and drove the Vibe back. You can see it in person at our GV meet June 30th!
Awesome! I had no idea!

I'm still unsure of whether I'll be making the meet or not :|...