Troubleshooting Airbag Fault Codes

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
snowshreddersam

Troubleshooting Airbag Fault Codes

Post by snowshreddersam »

Hi all,

I have a base 2006 Vibe that had the airbag light flicker on recently. I pulled the codes and they are as follows:

B1615 - Front Airbag Sensor LH Circuit Malfunction
B1650 - Occupant Classification System Malfunction
B1660 - Passenger Airbag ON / OFF Indicator Circuit Malfunction

After doing some researching and thinking, I'm almost sure its a malfunction in the airbag control module due to the seemingly unrelated fault codes all occurring at the same time.

Two questions: Am I correct in thinking this? If I am, can I just find a module with the same part number in a junker that didn't have the airbags deployed? I read somewhere that they could be VIN-specific and I'm not sure how to deal with this.

Thanks!
joatmon

Re: Troubleshooting Airbag Fault Codes

Post by joatmon »

None of the service info I have really talks about the airbag system, other than to be careful. A number of toyota forums have people with various airbag codes including the B1650 that were resolved by doing a passenger seat calibration, which requires some kind of test tool, perhaps something you could get a loaner from one of the auto parts chains that loan tools. Some of the youtube videos also had seemingly unrelated airbag codes that resolved with the calibration

I don't know about the VIN specific. All the other gm cars from the era had radios that were VIN aware, but the Vibes didn't have the required GM databus so if you replace the radio with another OEM unit, you need to get one from a Vibe but you don't need to deal with the GM theftlock radio stuff. Perhaps its the same for airbag components.

Did you have the airbag recall done on yours?