Speedometer wiring diagrams?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
DopeVibeGT

Speedometer wiring diagrams?

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for the 04+ GT speedometer? I have an 04 cluster I want to put in my 03 GT but the gas gauge doesnt work. So, I'm assuming the wire for the gas gauge is in the second connector that isnt on the 03 clusters. Would I be able to rewire the gas gauge wire to the new connector?

(Hope this makes sense. lol )
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
joatmon

Re: Speedometer wiring diagrams?

Post by joatmon »

There were 4 clusters in 03, 2 each with English units and 2 each with metric units (and a low washer fluid light). For both of those variants, there was one for the base, and one with a higher red line for GTs. The faces on all four were all red

In 04, the only change was the faces were red and white, which makes it easier to see in daylight. I bought a 04 US base cluster to put in my 03 base, and the 04 cluster was fully interchangeable with the 03, only one connector, and everything worked (after reprogramming the odometer reading, which is stored in an eprom in the cluster.

In 05, they changed the cluster some and added the second connector.. if your 04 cluster has a second connector, then it's an 05-08 cluster, not an 04.

All that being said, I don't have the pinout for the 05-08 cluster, but someone here might.
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

All the clusters on eBay that are marked as '04+ GT (If they really are) that I looked at all had the second connector. Maybe the US based GT's are different with the connectors than the base?

Also, did you reprogram the mileage yourself or through a dealer? Cost?

Thanks. 8-)
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

DopeVibeGT wrote:All the clusters on eBay that are marked as '04+ GT (If they really are) that I looked at all had the second connector. Maybe the US based GT's are different with the connectors than the base?

Also, did you reprogram the mileage yourself or through a dealer? Cost?

Thanks. 8-)
In that I have only actually had my grubby hands on the clusters from 03 and 04 base, I can't testify with absolute certainty, that the 04 GT clusters have one or two connectors, so I guess its possible.

I couldn't find any on ebay one way or the other. Either they don't show the connectors, or the cluster is marked as fits a GT, but has the base 6400 redline and 120 mph top speed , instead of the GTs 8000 rpm/140+ mph

I set the mileage myself, using info from viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26526, and an old laptop that still had a parallel port. Was careful to set it to actual mileage to not be fradulent.

The only easily available wiring info is from a softcopy of the 03 Matrix manual that some folks have posted online, and that doesn't seem to have a consolidated cluster wiring diagram, the cluster is shown in various other circuits. Actual GM Vibe info seems to only be available from buying the expensive official GM service manuals from Helm. I bought a set for an 03 Vibe, and somehow lost volume 2, which contains most of the wiring info, but thats for an 03 and wouldn't help you if I still had it. (I'm still pissed at losing that book) There's an 04 set on ebay for $220, which is nuts. I don't know if anyone still active here has an 04 set, or an 05-08 set.
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

I just bought a programmer to change the VIN number in a radio for the Cruze I just got off eBay. Shame I cant use that to reprogram the chip. What I bought was:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOIC8-SOP8-Fla ... 2749.l2648

and

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-Progra ... 2749.l2648

Made things so easy. I suppose this wouldnt work? ;)

About the miles, my car has hit the infamous 299,999 miles anyway. I dont know if theres a way to set the mileage on the new cluster pass that.I'm now using the trip B for the mileage and adding it to the 299,999. lol
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

In the cluster, the odometer value is stored in a 93C46 EPROM. I don't know if that programmer tool you got will do a 93C46, but there may be something similar that did, I didn't look into it too much. The adapter cable might be useful if you can find the right programmer, as I have only ever programmed the chip while it was still soldered into the cluster's circuit board.

I've set the odometer to 300,000 and it still displays 299,999. At one point there was someone on here saying they could get it to display above 299,999 for a fee, but they didn't say how, and I don't know if anyone ever took them up on it, and I can't seem to find it via search. It may be there is some other byte(s) that control whether it will display above 299,999, I haven't messed with it enough to stumble across it.

My first 03 had 288K miles on it when I "traded" it in for another 03 with a measely 157K miles on it, and is only up to about 225K miles now.

Since nobody has stepped up with an 04+ cluster wiring diagram, maybe worth trying a new thread asking who bought the factory service manual from Helm, and if anyone responds, hit them up for the cluster diagram
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Trying to find a 04 GT or an XRS only speedometer is almost impossible. lol There was one on eBay but no top shots. Asked the seller for a top picture or if it had one or two connectors and they never answered. :roll:
jolt

Post by jolt »

You can try a search for - toyota speedometer mileage change software. There was software out on the web from Europe for programming the chip but most was older stuff. Different year speedometers had different chips in them. You can buy the chips, copy the old chip info into the new chip and then play away at changing the values and seeing if it worked for you. Keep the original chip and software intact and as a backup if something goes wrong. I seen someone on here trying to reprogram their chip and messed it up. They had to buy a used speedo after that because they did not backup the software in the chip. From that I read, Toyota moved values around in different memory locations in different years so 2004 may be different then 2005 when programming the chip. The information you find will be spotty at best when it comes to the chip programming.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

My local library has an online auto repair database that has no useful wiring diagram info for 03 and 04 Vibes. However, I did find an instrument cluster diagram for an 05 there, and I found I had an 04 Matrix cluster diagram on my hard drive, so I've attached them both. Hopefully somewhere in there it provides the info you're looking for.
Attachments
05-instrument-cluster-1-of-1.pdf
05 Vibe cluster wiring diagram
(102.51 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
04-matrixclusterwiring-046cm.pdf
04 Matrix cluster wiring diagram
(78.86 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

I just went and finally found an 04 GT cluster on eBay a month or so ago. For anyones future info, if you have an 03 GT and want the newer cluster, you only have one option, thats the 04 GT cluster. 05+ wont work.