New user, new Vibe owner!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Kheldar

New user, new Vibe owner!

Post by Kheldar »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for having me! I just bought my first car - a 2005 Vibe AWD :) I bought it off a relative, my great uncle, who had always taken care of it, treated it well and didn't drive it much either (only 111,664 km when I picked it up last week!). Got a fair price, as well - $4500 CAD! I've always pushed off buying a car (I'm 33), because I didn't want the money pit, and I've been a student for so long, so I just relied on public transit or my feet. But now I'm commuting to work, and a car will truly help.

So far, I'm loving it! Not just having a vehicle, but THIS vehicle. It's quite sizable for a hatchback, more spacious than I'd realized at first. It's got good solid handling, is tight around corners, and it just feels comfortable and responsive. Reading a bit on here, it seems like I've just purchased a pretty reliable car, so I'm looking forward to this experience!
vibrologist

Re: New user, new Vibe owner!

Post by vibrologist »

Congratulations and Welcome!

You have a keeper. You think you can post a picture of your ride?
Also: it's a good idea to put your location in the signature. You may have a neighbor or two right here.

The AWD has independent rear suspension which makes the car handling even better than the base.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe!

Especially to another 2005 AWD owner!! :D

One thing to note is that your AWD gas tank is a little smaller than other Vibe models, holding 41.6 litres which should get you around 350 km in mixed driving range. These are rough figures based on conversion from miles and U.S. gallons. ;)

Hopefully, your uncle kept the service records. You'll want to make sure it has had all of the fluids replaced even though it's low km's as it has been 12 years since it was new.

Good luck and wish you trouble free travels!
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Kheldar

Post by Kheldar »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

And thank you for the good advice, esp about fluids. I don't have the service records, sadly (though we might have them. My Great Uncle passed away last summer; I purchased the car from his son, so I can ask if he has those records). In any event, I see that the windshield's got the "service due" sticker, and it indicates I need to bring it in when I hit 144k km. I could just bring it to my mechanic now, and ask him to flush the systems and replace the fluids entirely, so that I *know* it's all new moving forward.

Thanks for the tip re: gas mileage. Typically I'm using this to supplement my morning commute - i drive to a commuter train station and take that into the city. So I'm only driving it about 10-20 km a day. This info helps me budget for gas each month :) I've also heard of the issues w/ rear differentials in the '05s, but I assume if my vehicle had that issue, my uncle would have been aware of it after 12 years. Someone also told me that he noticed his vibe went through batteries quicker than other cars he's had - anyone notice this?
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome To GenVibe from the shallow end of Lake Erie :) Sounds like a good deal you got there. Clean her up and post some nice pics of this Vibe. Visit us often!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! You definitely scored yourself a great vehicle! Post a picture or two when you get a chance.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Kheldar wrote: Someone also told me that he noticed his vibe went through batteries quicker than other cars he's had - anyone notice this?
So many factors will affect your battery service life. The average annual temperature where you drive, the length of your drives, the type of battery, the battery specs (warranty months, cold cranking amps), how many times it has gone dead...

That said, my driving habits aren't that different from yours, commuting to a train station during the week with longer trips (mixed city/highway) on weekends. I've had the car since 2007 and have only changed the battery once. I have been known to top off a "maintenance free" battery with distilled water and use an external battery charger with a 'refresh' mode once a year or so, especially after someone leaves the lights on :?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum