check engine light

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
frostyvibegt

check engine light

Post by frostyvibegt »

so about 3 weeks ago i noticed my car was idling extremely high at about 1800 and normal all warmed up. and it continued like this for a couple weeks and i notice i was getting terrible gas mileage i was filling my tank from empty to full every 170 miles and was experiencing a huge loss of power couldn't even maintain 40 i was planning to take it in to the dealer the next week. a couple days passed like this and then my check engine light came on and now the car has more power than I've ever seen it have and I'm getting great gas mileage but my check engine light is still on. it is also very hard to start when the engine is warm. any ideas on what is causing it
2004 Pontiac vibe base with 5 speed automatic GT engine 770000 miles on it
andrewclaus

Re: check engine light

Post by andrewclaus »

Read the code indicated by the check engine light. Some auto parts stores will do that for free. Budget scanners are available for under $20, too.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

a check engine light could be caused by something as trivial as a loose gas cap or as serious as imminent engine death. I don't know of a specific condition that would cause your symptoms, but as andrewclaus said, get the specific error code read and let us know what it is.

Please let us know what the code is, a condition that would both add lots of power and greatly increase gas mileage might be something I'd want to cause in my car ;)
frostyvibegt

Post by frostyvibegt »

joatmon wrote:a check engine light could be caused by something as trivial as a loose gas cap or as serious as imminent engine death. I don't know of a specific condition that would cause your symptoms, but as andrewclaus said, get the specific error code read and let us know what it is.

Please let us know what the code is, a condition that would both add lots of power and greatly increase gas mileage might be something I'd want to cause in my car ;)

today as i was driving to a couple of stores when i parked the light went off and the on when i started it and then as i was driving went off again and is currently off
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Hey Frosty,
Someone at the dealer already called the Vibe a Lemon. That makes me think they don't want your business. Also, the dealer will charge you 50% more than anywhere else.

Try to write down everything that is wrong with the car. Then take that list to a local mechanic. Have them inspect your car, tell them about your concerns, and work together to prioritize repairs. Here are a few highlights I've read so far.
  • High idle
  • Engine stalls out randomly
  • Transmission does not shift properly
  • Automatic headlights do not work
  • Check engine light
Any professional auto mechanic can fix these cars, they are simple to work on, but it's really hard to diagnose issues as extensive as the ones you are having over the internet.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

I'll be the echo. Get a code reader or at least get your codes read. They will be key to diagnosing your car's problems. Your car's gas mileage may have actually improved because the car is now in limp mode, a default set a parameters the car uses when its detects an issue.

Issues like you're reporting are hard to diagnose via the internet. We need some more data to work with.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
frostyvibegt

Post by frostyvibegt »

SeattleJeremy wrote:Hey Frosty,
Someone at the dealer already called the Vibe a Lemon. That makes me think they don't want your business. Also, the dealer will charge you 50% more than anywhere else.

Try to write down everything that is wrong with the car. Then take that list to a local mechanic. Have them inspect your car, tell them about your concerns, and work together to prioritize repairs. Here are a few highlights I've read so far.
  • High idle
  • Engine stalls out randomly
  • Transmission does not shift properly
  • Automatic headlights do not work
  • Check engine light
Any professional auto mechanic can fix these cars, they are simple to work on, but it's really hard to diagnose issues as extensive as the ones you are having over the internet.
If i wrote down everything wrong with that car i would owe them like 6000
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

frostyvibegt wrote:If i wrote down everything wrong with that car i would owe them like 6000
How about fixing the things needed to use the car?

I don't know dude, maybe it's not worth actually fixing. It's certainly not worth investing over $5k to fix a car with 700k+ miles on it.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT