TireToast's 2009 Vibe GT | The TireToaster Mk II

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
TireToast

TireToast's 2009 Vibe GT | The TireToaster Mk II

Post by TireToast »

Hello

May I present the TireToaster Mk. II
Better picture coming soon

Purchased used November 2017 to replace the TireToaster Mk I. The car is great. No modifications of my own yet (car had aftermarket remote start when I bought it), but I want to carpet the cargo area and add some side stripes to cover a small paint blemish on the passenger door. I'm also considering getting a set of winter tires and rims.
tpollauf

Re: TireToast's 2009 Vibe GT | The TireToaster Mk II

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. From a seasoned Mechanical engineer to a future one, you've chosen an excellent career path ;)

Your car looks very familiar :lol:

Yes, definitely get a set of winter wheels. Otherwise the harsh winters in our territory will eventually destroy those nice 18" rims. Below is what I do every winter.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
TireToast

Post by TireToast »

Thanks for the advice, I'm trying to exercise my work connections to find a cheap set of rims for winter. I also considered getting these rims for summer and using the stock in the winter since they have some road rash and minor corrosion, but they still like so nice even with their minor flaws.

P.S. If you don't mind me asking, where do you work as a mechanical engineer?
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

TireToast wrote: P.S. If you don't mind me asking, where do you work as a mechanical engineer?
Honeywell ... for a few more years anyways! Retirement is right around the corner for me :) HVACR related work.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
TireToast

Post by TireToast »

Cool, I want to work in the automotive industry when I finish my degree.
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

TireToast wrote:Cool, I want to work in the automotive industry when I finish my degree.
While I'm not as seasoned as @tpollauf, I too am a Mechanical Engineer (by degree anyway)... and when I left for college, I wanted to work in the auto industry.

However, fast forward more than a few years and I now work in construction as a concrete formwork engineer and just last year I passed the Civil PE exam.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
TireToast

Post by TireToast »

Congrats on passing your exam. What made ya switch from mechanical to civil engineering.
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

TireToast wrote:Congrats on passing your exam. What made ya switch from mechanical to civil engineering.
Sorry, just saw you responded. :shock:

Its just where my career has taken me. My first job out of college was in the construction industry, designing doors for aircraft hangars. They thought they wanted a ME, but what they really needed was a structural engineer and a drafter. That's basically what they did before hiring me; they worked with an outside engineering firm and a freelance drafter. I came in, basically took over the drafting role and became a liaison with the engineer. I don't know what they were thinking hiring a green as hell ME to do that job. The one good thing I took away from that job was an interest in construction. So, when it came time to move on from that job, I landed with my current company who likes to hire CivEs and MEs with an interest in construction. If you're wondering how an ME fits in here, we deal with equipment systems for forming concrete. Pretty much my entire career is based on two (junior level?) classes Statics and Mechanics of Materials. Fast forward a few years, I'm approached with an opportunity for a promotion, but it requires me to be a PE. I inquired whether I should pursue my PE as and ME or CivE and pretty much every other engineer I work with said for the work we do, a CivE is more appropriate. So... A lot of studying and two exam attempts later, I'm a Licensed CivE in the state of Texas (and I didn't get the promotion :cry: ).
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.