Dome light door switch

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Mark

Dome light door switch

Post by Mark »

My dome light on my 08 stopped working. Light comes on with the switch in the On position, but doesn't work when set to "Door". Any idea where to look for the switch for that? Or where to look period? I know it has worked before.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
joatmon

Re: Dome light door switch

Post by joatmon »

There are switches in the door jambs for each of the four doors, about four inches below the silver loop that the doors latch onto. There's also a switch for the hatch, I think that one might be hidden, part of the latch itself. Did you try all of the doors or just the drivers door?
Mark

Post by Mark »

I realized this morning that the rear light is working, not sure how I missed that yesterday, other than looking at it in the daylight.

So that rules out the door switch. Playing with it some this morning I found I could push up on the lamp switch and get it to come on. So something loose or broken in there. Any idea how to get that apart without breaking things? Looks like I have to get the end of the switch off first, then the lens. Not sure how they come apart.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Stupid light wasn't working this morning, so when I got home from work today I decided to try to work on it. Of course it was working fine. I popped the lens off and poked around some, nothing seemed loose or anything. I think it's just screwing with me.
DanJo

Post by DanJo »

Don't mean to resurrect a thread from the dead, but this is the most relevant one I could find. I just picked up an '06 and my rear dome works fine. Passenger dome light however, does not. I've taken it apart and found that the selector switch (for choosing between off/door/on) is missing (broke off) the pieces on one side that hold it in contact with the circuit. All I need is an intact switch, but am having a tough time even figuring out what to call that to narrow searches down. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

You'll probably need the whole light assembly. I'd use https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota_2006_ ... tml#81260A or something similar (use your VIN to search) to get a part number for the whole light assembly, then shop on eBay for a used one.

Mine barely works. Selector switch contacts need cleaning. I was going to dig into that soon.
DanJo

Post by DanJo »

Alright. I was thinking I’d end up having to buy the whole assembly. Surprisingly, all the junk yards around me allear to be Vibe/Corolla/Matrix free. Thanks for the quick reply!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

the site adrewclaus posted seems to say its toyota part number 81240 (or 81240B/D/E) and it looks like Toyota used those lights in lots of vehicles. check ebay, such as https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-81240-0 ... kG&vxp=mtr

my 03 doesn't have a switch on the dome lights, so I don't know what it looks like
DanJo

Post by DanJo »

Actually I went to the closest junk yard today (found one I didn’t know about) and they have 7 first gens on site! Got the part I needed, plus a spare, cross bars, better center console, and some other good stuff. All for less than a new dome light assembly!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Sweet. Image I love a good junkyard score, closest i'll ever get to winning the lottery
DanJo

Post by DanJo »

Much fun was had. Planning on going back soon to harvest some more!