photos

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Jubjon

photos

Post by Jubjon »

i have been around this forum for awhile but not very actve here

my question, does anyone know why i don't see photo's as attachments?

i see the attached icon and message

thanks
Attachments
please update your account
please update your account
Screenshot 2017-08-10 at 8.57.29 PM.png (169.57 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
bigdoug

Re: photos

Post by bigdoug »

Most pictures on this forum are hosted at photobucket.com. In the past, photobucket had a limit to how much a picture could be shared off site, once you reached that limit, you would get an image like that.

However, recently (apparently over a month ago, but I only heard about it this past week), Photobucket has been charging people in order to link to pictures off-site at all. Sadly, that means a lot of images on this site are going to appear like this.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919 ... aid-update

Photobucket has been steadily going into a hole of crap for the longest time now, and I think this is the final straw. They apparently just don't want anyone to use their site anymore. I think they can honestly go blow themselves and I've been planning on moving my own pictures to a new image hosting site soon. I've also considered starting a thread here to let people know and figure out alternatives to photobucket, like maybe imgur or flickr.
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Yep. Basically it boils down the Photobucket holding the internet hostage. :evil:
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

There is a parallel thread at viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46184 but I replied to this one since it has a more recent reply

A lot of threads recently became less useful when photobucket changed their policy. Other threads have been less useful for longer when someone who posted a nice writeup with pictures lost interest in genvibe and didn't maintain their externally hosted pictures.

I've tried to always upload my genvibe pictures to genvibe. Most of them are still here, a few got confused some years back when the forum software was switched. If you find anything I've posted that has broken images, let me know and I'll fix them.

For other people's posts with missing images, or now the photobucket third party hosting image, it will be more difficult. Some of those folks just don't come here anymore. You can try sending them an IM, or replying in the specific thread, but they may be completely gone.

If you follow someone's how-to with broken images, take pics along the way and post them. I usually take pics of any non-routime car task, to help me remember how things connect up. Handy for vacuum hoses and for drum brakes
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

yeah my threads are probably trashed now. I was typically pretty pic-heavy.
Photobucket nailed us all with the long con, huh?
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Can we just upload Photos now or still have to be linked?
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

vibolista wrote:Can we just upload Photos now or still have to be linked?
You have always been able to directly upload photos, its just that the size limit was restricting. The limit has been raised (to 1MB, I think), but it will likely still require the pics to be resized. I've been using an online service (picresize.com) to resize my pics for anything new I've posted. One of these days, I'll go back and update the pics in my old threads, but I probably don't have too many that people are actually looking for.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Photobucket messed up big time. They would have been wise to leave the pictures that were already up as a courtesy for long time users and as a good PR move. A lot of forums are really hurt by their actions. I doubt that they will pick up a lot of paying customers after erasing years of useful pictures linked to forums all over the planet. Dumb move on their part. No one's happy with them for this.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires