It's 10 model years old already

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
vibolista

It's 10 model years old already

Post by vibolista »

Been a while since I've been on GenVibe... really good to see it's still active. Bummed that photobucket decided to have a brain phart. Lots of great pictures are gone. We need to be able to upload pictures directly.

Our 2008 Vibe is still doing really well. Mostly used for SUV (Small Utility Vehicle) lugging and Winter driving duty. Engine and transmission like new, but since we don't take it on trips, the odometer is just moving through the upper 50K range. Mobil 1 oil has to be part of the reason the engine is still going so strong. Body and Paint still excellent, even though this car spends its days and nights outside. I do wax it after Winter is over, sometime during the Summer and then again before Winter weather sets in. Nothing has broken so far. Knocking on wood at the moment.

I found a little rust bubbling under the glass hatch rubber seal at bottom center of hatch. No clue why that developed in there. Will be treating it before it gets worse. Not visible with glass closed and I guess I don't really open that glass hatch enough. Usually only when I clean and wax the painted area covered by the glass hatch. The interior of this car has held up really well. Maine is not known for it's strong sun, although our Summers are now significantly more humid, longer and definitely warmer. The Vibe did spend about 9 months in the western part of Virginia as a loaner for my son. It stayed there Summer through this past March and I worried that it would suffer some UV damage, but it held up fine.

Just bought a new set of snow tires for the dedicated "Winter" wheels. Had the alignment checked and found the rear driver's could not be brought to to alignment spec. Not sure how I'm gonna fix that quite yet. I'm hunting around for suggestions.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
SeattleJeremy

Re: It's 10 model years old already

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Congrats, on such a low mileage 10 year old Vibe!
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

SeattleJeremy wrote:Congrats, on such a low mileage 10 year old Vibe!
Thanks. It's been a great trouble free car so far. Carts the kayaks, bikes, supplies and even people once in a while. Does commuter work, mostly in the Winter. The cargo room inside impresses everyone.

'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Great to hear the Vibe is still doing well after a decade!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
finebead

Post by finebead »

Our 2009 Vibe was bought new in May 2008, so its 9.5 years old. It commutes 14 miles each way to work Mon - Fri, with much stop and go with lights having to cycle once or twice before getting through an intersection, it take 45 min. to get to work. The car has been trouble free, except it does use oil between changes. You have to check the oil twice a month, and certainly before a trip.

I replaced the struts, brake pads, spark plugs, serpentine belt recently. As a commuter, we could keep it another 4 years. Not a scratch on the paint job, no dings, sleeps in a garage every night, but in the sun all day long in work parking lot.

Only new issue is the ignition coils are going out. First one, replaced it myself, a year later another went out. Now I am going to order two more from Amazon so they will all be new ( Delphi GN10341 for $31 each).

The Vibe has been rock solid reliable, comfortable, and the space utilization is highly functional for its size. Love the Vibe!