Argh. Why can't I remove my rear hatch glass liftgate??

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
pointbob

Argh. Why can't I remove my rear hatch glass liftgate??

Post by pointbob »

Argh. Why can't I remove my rear hatch glass??

I need to replace the rear lift gate spoiler (I dented it)...circled in red...

So I'm trying to remove the rear hatch glass and spoiler from rear. I undid the liftgate struts; and bolts and glass bolts (they are a torx 30 size screw by the way)...

And when I try to lift the hatch off I get a little wiggle room from where the 4 bolts were removed but it still wont release from the car...I evenly took off the rear DOOR bolts and that was a wasted hour trying to put that back by myself...

any help appreciated..thx

Image Image Image

Last edited by pointbob on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
petervivian

Re: Argh. Why can I remove my rear hatch glass??

Post by petervivian »

When I removed my lift gate glass, the top cover was also attached to it. I intended to only salvage the glass, but I was not able to figure out how to get the cover off.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
pointbob

Post by pointbob »

some more pics for reference...there has got to be a way...

pointbob

Post by pointbob »

petervivian wrote:When I removed my lift gate glass, the top cover was also attached to it. I intended to only salvage the glass, but I was not able to figure out how to get the cover off.

Do you recall how you actually removed it? I cannot even get it (as seen in the above 2 pics) off the car.

here is a pic of the rear spoiler I want to attach....

joatmon

Re: Argh. Why can't I remove my rear hatch glass liftgate??

Post by joatmon »

I've never taken that off. One pic shows the glass and spoiler with the four T30 screws in place, but you said you took those off in the first pic

There's what looks like some guide pins in the hinge between the two bolts, could they be catching?

The matrix manual glass replacement procedure seems to say there's some double sided tape holding it on, see the attached PDF step 1e
Attachments
x040001.pdf
(48.51 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
pointbob

Post by pointbob »

joatmon wrote:I've never taken that off. One pic shows the glass and spoiler with the four T30 screws in place, but you said you took those off in the first pic

There's what looks like some guide pins in the hinge between the two bolts, could they be catching?

The matrix manual glass replacement procedure seems to say there's some double sided tape holding it on, see the attached PDF step 1e

It's a bit confusing to me since I'm not mechanical lol...

FIRST ...in the pdf instructions it says remove 1) 2 nuts/stoplight cover/4 glass screws/4 hinge nuts.

And then at step 8) it says to remove back door RH and LH hinge assembly to get to the glass...remove 2 nuts etc

Does that mean I have to remove the back door?? lol

SECOND: I've completed step 1 - shouldn't that be enough for the 2 pieces (glass and top spoiler) to just come off?
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

I easily took the top cover off my hatch a little over a month ago. I left the glass on the car, too. Sounds like that's all you need to do, if you're messing with the spoiler.

I'm pretty sure you're indicating all the correct fasteners: (4) thru the glass, (2) at each hatch glass hinge. There's also some double sided tape holding that thing to the glass.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
pointbob

Post by pointbob »

runningslow wrote:I easily took the top cover off my hatch a little over a month ago. I left the glass on the car, too. Sounds like that's all you need to do, if you're messing with the spoiler.

I'm pretty sure you're indicating all the correct fasteners: (4) thru the glass, (2) at each hatch glass hinge. There's also some double sided tape holding that thing to the glass.
Well i'm clearly a failure. I just tried the 3d time with the instructions I downloaded from here and it's not coming off.

I hope I'm using the correct terminology...

I Want to remove the upper outer "spoiler" piece above the rear window hatch. I have removed the bolts and screws and struts. I'm lifting upwards and the upper outer "spoiler" is only slightly moving but just won't remove totally at all. I'm afraid to pull too hard break the glass. I tried a fish filet knife to cut the adhesive tape from the outside of the window and the spoiler is SO TIGHTLY flushed against the rear window i can barely insert the blade. sigh.

I uploading this last pic....i'm pretty sure the problem is that the hinge that attaches to the rear glass (no bolts or screw access as seen) is preventing me from lifting off the spoiler...

joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Could it be hanging on what looks like spoiler guide pins that stick through the hinge?
spoilerguidepin.jpg
spoilerguidepin.jpg (31.71 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

I wonder if it has been off before and someone put on extra mounting tape. The only thing I remember fighting with was the adhesive and then having to mes with the sprayer hose. There are only those (8) fasteners. (4) in the glass and (2) in each hinge. There shouldn't be anything else holding it in place except adhesive tape. From the factory, that would only be at far left and right bolts through the glass. Maybe try running some fish line or wire through it.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
pointbob

Post by pointbob »

Ok. I finally got the spoiler removed.

The problem was 2 fold.

The adhesive on there was very very strong and the cutting with a filet knife helped a lot. Plus the fact that there was some carbon black graphite tape added on the spoiler I had put on a few years back to mask the dent. I wrapped it underneath the spoiler and that also melted a bit so that was super sticky too.

Thanks for your help guys!