Weird Grinding Noise from Front Driver's Side Tire

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
sarahp1031

Weird Grinding Noise from Front Driver's Side Tire

Post by sarahp1031 »

I bought my 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT a couple of months ago, used. A few weeks after I got it, I started hearing a grinding-like noise from the front driver's side tire. I took it to a mechanics shop and they said it was the CV Axle. I took it to another shop just to get a second opinion before I spent all the money for something that might not even be the problem (I have had bad experiences in the past). The second shop I went to (which specializes in CV Axles among other things) confidently told me it was the brakes and that if I got new brakes the sound would cease. I replaced the brakes on it and the sound went away for about a week then it came back. Now the sound has gotten worse and it happens when I slow down to about 40 mph and slower and increases when braking or turning the wheel to the right. I have looked up things about it on the internet and some people say it is the hub or a wheel bearing. Also, the tire does not want to go on correctly. I thought it might be because the rim was bent but once changing the passenger and driver's side tires around I discovered that, that was not the issue. Does anyone have another opinion or can confirm one of the already standing possibilities?
jolt

Re: Weird Grinding Noise from Front Driver's Side Tire

Post by jolt »

Also, the tire does not want to go on correctly.
Are these factory or aftermarket rims? What were the lug nuts torqued too? The wheel has to hold the brake rotor in place, and if the wheel does not fit properly on the hub, your rotor many be walking around causing the noise and more damage. Do not drive this as you are causing more damage to the front brakes and drive train besides being a major safety hazard. If you still trust the shop that did the brake job, then take it back to them. Sounds like they missed something when doing the work.
sarahp1031

Post by sarahp1031 »

Jolt-
Thanks for the feedback! They are the factory rims that came with the car.
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

How is the wheel not going on correctly? Are the lugs angled or spaced strangely?
That's a pretty big deal if the wheel won't sit correctly.

Could be a bad wheel bearing, but they have to be pretty far gone to make a grinding noise. Problem with wheel bearing starts off as a drone or humming noise, did you notice anything like that first?
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Look at your brake rotors. Are they smooth, or are the gouged and scraped up? Look at or feel both sides, not just the easily visible side. If you have a bad caliper or plugged brake lines, you could have a dragging brake pad, bad enough that the friction material comes off the brake pad backing plate after a very short amount of time. Brakes are very easy to do, but you have to make sure you do them correctly. Brake lines are also really easy to do, and cheap as well.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Stevemo

Post by Stevemo »

It's a bit late but your problem is the wheels. They are rubbing on the brakes now that you have full thickness brake pads. I ran into this when I bought some aluminum wheels. I needed wheel spacers to get the front wheels to clear the brakes...however, the studs are too short for 5 mm spacers.
When I bought the wheels I had tried putting one on the rear and it was OK. When I got home to install them on the front I found that the wheel would not sit properly. When tightened the front wheels would not turn.
Steve
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Not the wheels, he was using factory wheels.