ImN3XU5's 2010 Ignition Orange GT 5-Speed

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
ImN3XU5

ImN3XU5's 2010 Ignition Orange GT 5-Speed

Post by ImN3XU5 »

Been meaning to post this for a while but keep getting tied up. I'm Sam and this is my 2010 Vibe GT Ignition Orange Metallic 5-Speed. Bought this back in late December from an insurance auction after it had been in a decent accident. Total after fees and uHaul from Detroit back to Cincinnati came out to about $3000. When I got the car, it needed a new front right headlight, steering wheel airbag, curtain airbags, airbag control module, driver seatbelt, and for some odd reason, the power mirror switch wasn't working either.

Got the airbags, control module and headlight off eBay for total about $450. The headlight I ordered came broken so I got another one for free, so if someone needs a repaired front headlight hit me up lol. Picked up a seatbelt from an absolutely destroyed 2009 AWD for $20 and the power mirror switch for a couple bucks. Running total now at about $3700.

Once the car was in a drivable state, the brake pads needed to be replaced. All 4 were almost to the metal and the brakes were almost unusable (good thing I found out by just moving it from the uHaul to my driveway that the brakes were crap). Replaced all 4 of those as well as the 2 front rotors due to a warped rotor. I've also replaced the spark plugs and PCV valve to try to combat the oil drinking. Right now it loses about 1.5 quarts every 3000 miles.

I was fortunate in that when we took the bumper off and put it in my garage before beginning any major work, the bumper was able to begin bending back into the original shape. Before putting it back on, we used a heatgun and molded out the bumper dent for the most part. Its definitely noticeable that it was hit there on the right side, but not nearly as bad as it was and I think I can live with it.

Here are the photos the insurance company took for the auction (Before Pictures)

I need to get some pictures of after so I will update this tomorrow with some new ones.

Unfortunately when I got it the radio knobs were already broken and basically unusable. I found a 3D model someone made on Thingiverse and was able to get them printed and sent to me. Here's the Before/After of the knobs. I didn't go through the hassle of taking the radio apart, mostly because the new knobs don't have the lips on the base of them that keep them locked in, so I just yanked them out using some pliers.

Here's the list of what I'm planning to do/what I'd like to do to the car:
• Planning to replace the original HU with a touchscreen unit that supports Android Auto while retaining the steering wheel controls and subwoofer
• Would love to do an HID retrofit but don't have the money/knowledge/experience to do that at the moment
• Would like to replace the lights all around with LEDs (interior and exterior lights)
• Would like to change the dial lights on the center console to white instead of the ugly yellow

I think that's all for now, I'm planning on replacing my HU within the next couple weeks, still trying to decide which unit I want to go with. I'll be updating this post and thread with more about the car and more recent pictures of the car will be going up on Saturday or Sunday. I can also post some pics of the 2004 Copper Orange AWD I owned for about 7 months and got to drive for 2 or 3 of those months. Thanks for stopping by everyone!

Bonus pic of the destroyed 2009 AWD
ImN3XU5

Re: ImN3XU5's 2010 Ignition Orange GT 5-Speed

Post by ImN3XU5 »

Here my up-to-date pictures of the car.

As you can see, the bumper isn't perfect on the side it was hit, but its pretty good for just being molded back out. I need to some how adjust the new headlight I installed, its aimed down and to the left right now but is still usable and just an annoyance. I'm also missing the little trim piece next to the right side fog light. Must've fallen off from the crash but I'm not too worried about it.

You'll also probably see another 2nd gen in the background here as well as the gray 1st gen on the street. Both of them are my dad's. He got the gray 2003 GT in August of last year, and just got the Silver Blue 2009 GT in January from an insurance auction. He's currently in the process of repairing the blue one so its sitting on a jackstand right now. He's also got another black 2003 GT that he's trying to sell right now because we have too many cars lol.

Also here's a picture of the day we picked up the car and got it up on the trailer for the 3 and a half hour drive home
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice progress so far. Where were you located (profile update please) I thought earlier you said the Cincinnati area? Anyways a little touch up paint and buffing and that bumper will look as good as new. They're not cheap either (400+) just for the rubber shell :o You're also missing one of the fake cowl inserts into the bumper but don't bother replacing it with a factory because that is a perfect spot for some LED mods to fit into (currently working on some for mine)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

tpollauf wrote:Nice progress so far. Where were you located (profile update please) I thought earlier you said the Cincinnati area? Anyways a little touch up paint and buffing and that bumper will look as good as new. They're not cheap either (400+) just for the rubber shell :o You're also missing one of the fake cowl inserts into the bumper but don't bother replacing it with a factory because that is a perfect spot for some LED mods to fit into (currently working on some for mine)
Yup I'm in Cincinnati, didn't realize my profile didn't say that. I actually didn't think of adding LED's there, now I want to add some there connected to the DRL's. Can't wait to see what yours looks like when you're done. I got some regular red touch-up paint from Autozone that has clear-coat with it, I need to get some on the right quarter-panel by the headlight before it gets too bad. And the bumper cover is ridiculously expensive, no one makes aftermarket OE replacements either. That's why I just used a heatgun and molded it back out.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Great looking Vibe once you rescued it!

The oil drinking problem is a known issue on the 2.4L engine which you can read about here: viewtopic.php?t=45296
GM will not do anything. Toyota is trying but only if oil consumption is extreme. You'll just have to get used to topping off the oil every few trips to the gas pump.

Head unit recommendation: Pioneer.

LEDs: On the exterior, I have only changed out the license plate light for LED. I have already changed out the lights in the center stack to LED white, and have leftovers for the HVAC knobs if you want them, PM me your address and I'll send them along! I can't change the color of the lights in the power window switch, traction control button, and 115V button.

You can see more about what I did in my garage thread: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=45247
2009 Vibe Base
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

MacGyver wrote:Great looking Vibe once you rescued it!

The oil drinking problem is a known issue on the 2.4L engine which you can read about here: viewtopic.php?t=45296
GM will not do anything. Toyota is trying but only if oil consumption is extreme. You'll just have to get used to topping off the oil every few trips to the gas pump.

Head unit recommendation: Pioneer.

LEDs: On the exterior, I have only changed out the license plate light for LED. I have already changed out the lights in the center stack to LED white, and have leftovers for the HVAC knobs if you want them, PM me your address and I'll send them along! I can't change the color of the lights in the power window switch, traction control button, and 115V button.

You can see more about what I did in my garage thread: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=45247
Those lights look awesome on the dash, I may have to take you up on your offer for the lights! I considered a Pioneer unit, but I had a JVC in my 2004 AWD which is now in my dad's 2003 GT, and I loved it. But also almost every other unit's UI outside of Android Auto is atrocious, and JVC's on the KW-V830BT looks so much sleeker, modern, and not straight out of the 90's. Probably ordering my unit tonight as well and likely install it this weekend.
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

Got the new head unit delivered on Thursday and installed it over the weekend. It took us probably close to 12 hours total to install everything. I installed the JVC KW-V830BT head unit, Axxess ASWC-1 interface to retain the steering wheel controls, and the SiriusXM SXW300V1 receiver to continue being able to use my SXM subscription (and they were able to transfer from the old Radio ID to the new one for free). I didn't take any pictures through out the install, but I did get a picture of all the wires before sticking the head unit back into the dash and pictures of the finished product.

Wiring harness wires behind the headunit:

Installed showing the SiriusXM screen:

Installed with Android Auto running:

When I installed the unit, I didn't wire the parking switch wire from the unit's wiring harness because I didn't think it was needed. When I tried to setup Android Auto, I was told to put the car in park (not possible with stick shift obviously) and engage the parking brake. It didn't know that the parking brake was engaged, so I wasn't able to set that up last night. I called Crutchfield today and they were able to give me a picture showing the location of the parking brake wire to tap into for the radio. Ran that cable earlier this afternoon and now AA is working. Here is the picture showing the location of that wire in case people want/need it for their installs. And for the Google search indexing: "2010 Pontiac Vibe Parking Brake Wire Tap Location"

ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

Also just found out today that my power mirrors aren't working again. I swapped the movement controller from my dad's 2009 he's fixing to mine and that didn't fix the problem, and also confirmed that the one from my car worked in his. So now I need to figure that out. I suspect its a fuse that is loose or blew but I'm not too worried about it. I'll probably take a look at it this coming weekend if its not going to be as hot as the rest of this week.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice work so far ;) Do you know if a similar radio (or same manufacturer) also incorporates a back up camera feature with the heads unit? That would be the hottest set-up in our 09-10 Vibes! Will be looking into radio options for my son's 09 Vibe GT.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

tpollauf wrote:Nice work so far ;) Do you know if a similar radio (or same manufacturer) also incorporates a back up camera feature with the heads unit? That would be the hottest set-up in our 09-10 Vibes! Will be looking into radio options for my son's 09 Vibe GT.
Yup on the back of this unit there's a yellow AV-Out and yellow Rear Camera, labeled accordingly. A lot of other receivers similar to this have the feature as well. I would suggest looking on Crutchfield and browsing by touchscreen radios that support rear cameras (link to the search I just said https://www.crutchfield.com/g_462250/To ... a_(Backup) add that last ")" to the URL in the address bar otherwise you get a 404). And then you can add features you want through the sidebar on the left until you're down to the remaining ones supporting what you want. And when you add a unit to your cart on Crutchfield, it will prompt you asking what package of items required for installation you want as well.
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

ImN3XU5 wrote:Also just found out today that my power mirrors aren't working again. I swapped the movement controller from my dad's 2009 he's fixing to mine and that didn't fix the problem, and also confirmed that the one from my car worked in his. So now I need to figure that out. I suspect its a fuse that is loose or blew but I'm not too worried about it. I'll probably take a look at it this coming weekend if its not going to be as hot as the rest of this week.
Update to this, I had a hunch it was a fuse issue since I was messing around in the fuse box for the stereo install. After pulling Fuse 12 out to try to tap that fuse for the stereo, I accidentally put the original fuse back into Fuse 9 instead of Fuse 12. That's why they weren't working. Moved the fuse back and its good again.
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

Sorry for not posting any updates recently, been real busy with work. Since my last update, I've gotten the HVAC control lights swapped to white LEDs and swapped the head unit mounting to the Scosche kit from the Metra kit. In my opinion, the Schosche kit is much higher quality compared to the Metra and fits much better on the 2nd generation cars.

Before the LED swap

After LED swap (not as clear to see because it wasn't dark enough, it is a lot better)

Also, just turned over 115K miles the other day
Bluephoenix

Post by Bluephoenix »

First time I've ever seen a Vibe in that shade of Orange much less on a GT, looks like it is Inferno Orange from the 2010 Camaro. Beautiful car.
2010 Camaro 1SS/RS ABM L99
Mods: Corsa Catback, Stainless Works LT's & Hi-Flow Cats, Roto-Fab CAI, Factory GFX, Blade Spoiler

Previous:
09 Vibe GT Dark Blue
05 Vibe Satellite Silver
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

Had nice weather today so was able to go out and rummage in the cables for my head unit to wire up the Illumination wire. Found the wire and was able to get tapped into it and made sure it was all good. Also went to Home Depot and got more M6 bolts to mount the radio after losing 2 or 3 to the dash never to be seen again. And since it was adjusted to be mounted with 2, had to spend a good amount of time adjusting the unit to be mounted correctly with the trim piece placed over it again.

Next step, window tint.
Joe09Vibe

Post by Joe09Vibe »

ImN3XU5 wrote:Sorry for not posting any updates recently, been real busy with work. Since my last update, I've gotten the HVAC control lights swapped to white LEDs and swapped the head unit mounting to the Scosche kit from the Metra kit. In my opinion, the Schosche kit is much higher quality compared to the Metra and fits much better on the 2nd generation cars.

Before the LED swap

After LED swap (not as clear to see because it wasn't dark enough, it is a lot better)

Also, just turned over 115K miles the other day
Hi, Nice work and great informative posts.
The lights of the radio, HVAC controls and gear shift indicators are off. Bulbs are fine, no lose connectors and everything else is working fine.
Cannot locate the responsible fuse. Any idea where to look for a cause?
Thanks,
Joe
2009 Base Vibe