Odd question any one know the volumetric efficiency % of the 1.8L?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
WhiteRabbit

Odd question any one know the volumetric efficiency % of the 1.8L?

Post by WhiteRabbit »

I got the ODBII app "OBD Fusion" and it asked in the Vehicle setup page for our Volumetric Efficiency in percentage. I have tried to look up the way to calculate it and it is like trying to read ancient Greek. Has any one figured this out before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jolt

Re: Odd question any one know the volumetric efficiency % of the 1.8L?

Post by jolt »

Volumetric efficiency is how well the cylinders are being filled with air and is given in a percentage. If you take the known total cubic inches of the engine and you are able to fill all the cylinders full when the engine is running, then you 1.0 or 100% volumetric efficiency. This can be measured on a engine dyno where you are looking at the air flow going into an engine at a given rpm. Most local racers and dyno shops do not measure this as they are more concerned about power and torque curves. Some things that do effect the volumetric efficiency depends upon throttle opening and engine speed as well as induction and exhaust system layout, port size and valve timing and opening duration, turbo or naturally aspirated; pretty much anything that can affect the air getting into the cylinder.

As a given rule of thumb naturally aspirated 4 cycle engines are going to fall in the 0.7 to 0.8 range or 70 to 80 percent. A turbo charged engine can have numbers over 100% because the pressure is pushing in more air then the engine cylinder volume. These numbers are not steady and change as engine rpm and load change. If you find an engine that was dyno'ed, the value given is peak volumetric efficiency because the actual efficiency changes and would be on a curve like the power and engine torque are. As a side note: peak volumetric efficiency on a naturally aspirated engine engine always occurs at the same rpm as engines peak torque value. If you had an engine that would run at a steady rpm, under a constant steady load, then you could get a given value, for a given engine, for volumetric efficiency. It is a moving number and as stated above will most likely be in the 70 to 80 percent range.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I believe the 2zz is surprisingly high for a N/A. I've delved into this myself, but the research was years ago. Doubt I've got anything left related but I'll take a quick look as I do not want to give a wrong number...

:(
Nope.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
WhiteRabbit

Post by WhiteRabbit »

WOW!, Jolt you have to be employed in a scientific field. That was very helpful. IMurOB if you could find the info that would be great, but don't have to go out of your way to find it again. All info I could find points to 75-85% so looking like that might be the ball park.