New guy

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Gmr102

New guy

Post by Gmr102 »

Hey guys. Joined up a couple weeks ago and forgot to introduce myself. My wife and I purchased a 2005 AWD vibe about a year ago. It is a huge upgrade over our old car and me being a Toyota guy I was happy to find this Toyota in disguise. So far all I have done to it is maintenance stuff that was neglected by the previous owners. I also swapped the center console from a 2004 into ours after reading about it here. It's much better. I don't see why GM and Toyota did away with it. Anyways excited to be here!
2005 Salsa AWD
vibenvy

Re: New guy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Glad you finally introduced yourself! We love pictures around here, so be sure and post some of your Vibe when you get a chance ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Welcome! Glad to have you here. Not sure of your location, but we are having a GenVibe meet in Louisville first weekend of June this year. If you're close, feel free to come on down! If you're on Facebook, you can also join us over there!
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Gmr102

Post by Gmr102 »

Well I would post a pic of the Vibe but whenever I try I am told the file is too large. Any way around this?
2005 Salsa AWD
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Setup a photobucket account and link them to your posts.

Welcome to GV!
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe Gamer :D Looking forward to pics and then update your profile showing your location. Glad you finally came to your senses and joined up :lol:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe!

...and welcome to the 1st gen AWD club!
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Gmr102

Post by Gmr102 »

There she is. This is the day that we got her. Named her ruby. I have since had the headlights cleaned up, put new tires on,changed all the fluids, replaced the front struts and fixed that darn viscous coupling whine and the tickling blend door motor. I don't have any more recent glam shots but I will take one once she is cleaned off.
2005 Salsa AWD
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Gmr102 wrote:There she is. This is the day that we got her. Named her ruby. I have since had the headlights cleaned up, put new tires on,changed all the fluids, replaced the front struts and fixed that darn viscous coupling whine and the tickling blend door motor.
Nice! Which struts did you go with? What did you end up doing to fix the whine? I have it too and am trying to decide if I want to fool with it (change bearings, etc.) or let someone else do it without trying to get me to replace the whole rear diff.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Gmr102

Post by Gmr102 »

ehoff121 wrote:
Gmr102 wrote:There she is. This is the day that we got her. Named her ruby. I have since had the headlights cleaned up, put new tires on,changed all the fluids, replaced the front struts and fixed that darn viscous coupling whine and the tickling blend door motor.
Nice! Which struts did you go with? What did you end up doing to fix the whine? I have it too and am trying to decide if I want to fool with it (change bearings, etc.) or let someone else do it without trying to get me to replace the whole rear diff.
I went with Monroe quick struts. I have Monroe products on my Tacoma as well and they held up just fine so I figured I would give them a shot on the vibe as well. They have been good so far. No issues ride quality has improved for sure. The viscous coupler was actually easier than I expected. However I have a shop here where I live that lets you rent a lift and tools from them. So that's why it was easier. This video goes over what needs to be done to fix it.
https://youtu.be/GOd40uoc1SU
If you have the tools and a way to get the car in the air it is definitely doable if you have a tiny bit of mechanical ability.
2005 Salsa AWD
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome Gmr102!
And thanks for the link tot he video. I referenced ti in the Maintenance how-to index.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Ooh... Salsa! I'm not typically a fan of red cars, but I do like Salsa!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage