MacGyver's - 2009 Vibe Base

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
Steve41337

Re: MacGyver's - 2009 Vibe Base

Post by Steve41337 »

So far I am leaning toward a license plate mounted cam for security reasons https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4L2OEE/re ... NK7VDHSWS0

There are similar designs that are in the $30 price range.

I like the price of the one you provided the link but I would be afraid someone might vandalize it because whatever I install on the exterior rear of car will be very noticeable.
2006 Two-Tone Frosty AWD with Sunroof
Purchased June 2016 in Loxley AL
Steve41337 Tucson Arizona :D
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

I installed the FIAMM Freeway Blaster F-note on my car and I had a great chance to use it yesterday on my way home from work. Driving through the downtown core, a pedestrian who did not have the right of way, stepped out in front of me expecting that I would yield to him. I think the blast of my horn scared the crap out of the guy based on his body language, and he quickly retreated back to the curb where he started. But even better, was that EVERY other person at the intersection looked right at me and made eye contact! I had to do my best not to laugh maniacally.

This horn commands respect on the road! And less than $20, what a cheap and easy upgrade.
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Stopped by the junkyard today and picked up an auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass, microphone and OnStar for $4 from a dead Cadillac. Hooray for Kenny-u-pull! Also snagged a mirror harness which provided a donor wire and pins as the 09 Vibe does not have 12V to the mirror. Ran 12V from the same fuse tap that does my dashcam and I'm in business!
Attachments
mirror1.jpg
mirror1.jpg (62.42 KiB) Viewed 11113 times
2009 Vibe Base
2010GTJT

Post by 2010GTJT »

Any further Detail on the mirror install? More Pictures?
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

2010GTJT wrote:Any further Detail on the mirror install? More Pictures?
I made a how-to thread on the mirror: viewtopic.php?t=45437
2009 Vibe Base
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Doesn't onstar require an extra antenna? Or did you get it for everything else besides that?
2003 Vibe Base A/T
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

BenWA wrote:Doesn't onstar require an extra antenna? Or did you get it for everything else besides that?
My car came with OnStar. The old mirror had Onstar but with manual dimming.
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Scored a set of alloy rims off a wrecked Matrix with TPMS sensors and nearly new Pirelli P7 plus tires. I'll put them on next spring, since the OE tires still have some tread left.

Installed the mud guards this evening and was able to do it without taking the wheels off, although the rear guards were a bit more difficult.
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Installed white LEDs in the HVAC controls and gear shift indicators. Yay, no more orange lights, which I never liked.

I used T4 Neo Wedge for the HVAC controls, and a 74 LED for the shifter.

Good news, I am now an expert at disassembling and reassembling the dashboard with all the mods I have done.

Bad news, I left my lights on for about an hour after I put in the lights and now the battery doesn't have enough juice to start the car. :{ I'm debating whether I should bother boosting or just replace the original battery :P
Attachments
white.jpg
white.jpg (7.32 KiB) Viewed 10885 times
2009 Vibe Base
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

MacGyver wrote: Bad news, I left my lights on for about an hour after I put in the lights and now the battery doesn't have enough juice to start the car. :{ I'm debating whether I should bother boosting or just replace the original battery :P
Nice work ;)

If yours was a manual tranny you could simply push start it :lol: But seriously if it's original, which would be 7-8 years old, then go ahead and replace it!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Water pump starting making horrible noise. Did some searching on the issue, and apparently the water pump installed at the factory is crap, and most were changed under warranty with a superior pump as they failed well before the warranty expired. But because my car was not driven much, the water pump never failed until now, and the warranty is long gone, too. It's ok, the coolant was probably original and could stand a change.

The only frustrating thing, is that I'm so busy I don't have time to do it myself, and it looks like a relatively easy job. Oh well.
2009 Vibe Base
JPark

Post by JPark »

MacGyver wrote:Water pump starting making horrible noise. Did some searching on the issue, and apparently the water pump installed at the factory is crap, and most were changed under warranty with a superior pump as they failed well before the warranty expired. But because my car was not driven much, the water pump never failed until now, and the warranty is long gone, too. It's ok, the coolant was probably original and could stand a change.

The only frustrating thing, is that I'm so busy I don't have time to do it myself, and it looks like a relatively easy job. Oh well.
How many miles are you at?
RIP '06 Platinum Vibe--at 189k miles, you died too young
'09 Vibe GT--we're still getting acquainted
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

JPark wrote:How many miles are you at?
26,000 mi / 42,000 km

Now with the new water pump (definitely more robust and better built than the original), everything is back to being super smooth and quiet. It sounded like a turbo spinning up!

Also replaced the battery last month after I ran it down, went from 335 CCA to 650 CCA :D :D Sure starts quick now.
2009 Vibe Base
Capt.Vibe

Post by Capt.Vibe »

Gotta say I've never heard of this engine having a water pump problem. Does this affect the 1.8's found in the Corlla/Matrix/xD as well? Can you provide the part number and price for this 'updated' water pump? I'm at 87,000km zero issues so far, I changed my coolant last year @ around 78,000.
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Capt.Vibe wrote:Gotta say I've never heard of this engine having a water pump problem. Does this affect the 1.8's found in the Corlla/Matrix/xD as well? Can you provide the part number and price for this 'updated' water pump? I'm at 87,000km zero issues so far, I changed my coolant last year @ around 78,000.
http://media.fixed-ops.com/toy_serviceb ... 362t09.pdf

The replacement part is Aisin WPT140. I'm pretty sure that's what my mechanic put in. It's not an expensive part, only $68CAD at rockauto.
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

My backup camera bit the dust. I'll have to pull it apart in the spring and see if it's a loose wire, or if I need a replacement. It was only $20...

I suspect it died because I powered it continuously, but still I expected it to last a lot longer than it did.

EDIT: I confirmed it was full of water and salt residue. The paint on the outside did not stand up to a few months of Ottawa winters. Still disappointing for $20.
Last edited by MacGyver on Wed May 03, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

The first nice day in a long while. I replaced the backup camera today. I ordered the exact same one, and wouldn't you know, the wiring harness is now different. So while I was hoping to replace only the camera at the back of the vehicle, I ended up having to run wires through the car to the head unit again. What a headache. At least this time I powered it off the reverse light. I hope it lasts longer. I like the form factor.
2009 Vibe Base
MountainVibe

Post by MountainVibe »

Waaaay back in this thread you mentioned getting OEM stalks for fog lights and variable intermittent wipers. I ordered what I thought was only the turn signal/light stalk for the fogs but also got the intermittent wiper stalk. Do you know if installing the stalk alone will bring variable intermittent function, or is the addition of a relay or anything else required?
2009 | 1.8 L base | 5M | Carbon Gray Metallic | ~108,000 km
K&N intake, AEM filter. TRD lowering springs, strut brace & sway bar. Nokian WRG3s. Matrix rims, roof rack & floor mats. Morimoto fog lights (install of stalk and relay pending).
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

MountainVibe wrote:Do you know if installing the stalk alone will bring variable intermittent function, or is the addition of a relay or anything else required?
Yes it will! Nothing else needed. The relay is in the base of the wiper stalk unit itself, which you can hear click when the intermittent wipers are on.

Make sure you have a friend to help you with removing the turn stalk (the wiper stalk is easy). I managed to do it solo, but once you have the airbag, steering wheel, and clockspring off, it's way easier if one person squeezes the compression ring with a pair of pliers while the other pulls the thing off the steering shaft.
2009 Vibe Base
MountainVibe

Post by MountainVibe »

Bonus! Thanks.
2009 | 1.8 L base | 5M | Carbon Gray Metallic | ~108,000 km
K&N intake, AEM filter. TRD lowering springs, strut brace & sway bar. Nokian WRG3s. Matrix rims, roof rack & floor mats. Morimoto fog lights (install of stalk and relay pending).
JetBlack

Post by JetBlack »

@MacGyver Do you happen to have the part number for the Onstar module? I spoke to gm and they wouldn't even sell me the 4G modules. Appreciate your assistance!
Join the VibeTribe on Drive Tribe https://drivetribe.com/t/LGVEe7TeQceVCW ... rTPsS40_rQ
2009 Vibe 2.4l Premium Package w/ Roof Rails
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

JetBlack wrote:@MacGyver Do you happen to have the part number for the Onstar module? I spoke to gm and they wouldn't even sell me the 4G modules. Appreciate your assistance!
The invoice for the OnStar upgrade doesn't have an eight digit GM part number, it just says "4G PARTS HANDLING". Canadian subscribers got the upgrade because 2G service has been completely discontinued in Canada, while Onstar negotiated a deal to keep 2G going in the USA for basic services. Of course, the WiFi won't work over 2G. (source: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php ... it-upgrade )

I could get the info off the module under the seat, but remember I live in Canada, so it's probably different (Bell Canada) than a US spec (AT&T).

My advice, If you want to upgrade, you need to start by calling OnStar and subscribing, then they will ship the part to your local GM dealer who will perform the install and programming. But in a world of smart phones, Google Voice, and Siri, OnStar is functionally obsolete, and ridiculously expensive. I only pay $5 a month for theft tracking. Plus the upgrade in the Vibe has instructions that tell the dealer tech to purposely disable Bluetooth and even discard the Bluetooth antenna that the upgraded module comes with, which is dumb. And there is no remote link app support for the Vibe, either.
2009 Vibe Base
JetBlack

Post by JetBlack »

[/quote]The invoice for the OnStar upgrade doesn't have an eight digit...is no remote link app support for the Vibe, either.[/quote]

Thank you MacGyver! I too were really thinking about going down the path, But Onstar's unlimited wifi for 20 USD really was swaying me sideways. If I can't get GM to get me the unit I'd probably have to decode the CAN bus and re-purpose the nice always on power. The security system is the last straw that keep me think of OnStar. Now that I have a new neighbour with an Matrix XRS I may just look into the opportunity to swap a toyota security system.
Join the VibeTribe on Drive Tribe https://drivetribe.com/t/LGVEe7TeQceVCW ... rTPsS40_rQ
2009 Vibe 2.4l Premium Package w/ Roof Rails
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

The 09+ had a dealer option for an alarm. There are two connectors, one for the alarm module that was to go behind the glove box, and another next to the traction control button for the glass break sensor. My advice, go aftermarket if you really need an alarm
2009 Vibe Base
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

Hey I've started my planning to replace the HVAC knob lights in the center on my car. I looked up the lights you used and found these on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-Instrume ... B00KVXTVZ6) and I wanted your opinion on them. Also if you're able to kinda explain how to replace the lights that'd be awesome!
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

ImN3XU5 wrote:Hey I've started my planning to replace the HVAC knob lights in the center on my car. I looked up the lights you used and found these on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-Instrume ... B00KVXTVZ6) and I wanted your opinion on them. Also if you're able to kinda explain how to replace the lights that'd be awesome!
Engage parking brake, turn key to on, shift into N, key to off. Then you can remove the bezel around the radio, pull up and out from the bottom. There is a catch at the top which will eventually release. Next, remove the HVAC knobs, there are some screws. Now the HVAC knobs are free, the temperature and direction knobs have cables attached to the back, don't pull them out! Instead remove the large clips on the back of the knobs to which the cables are attached. Now you can access the light bulb sockets from the rear of the knobs. You might need a long thin screwdriver to get them out. When installing the new LEDs, remember they are polarity sensitive - so test them before putting everything back together.
2009 Vibe Base
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

MacGyver wrote:
ImN3XU5 wrote:Hey I've started my planning to replace the HVAC knob lights in the center on my car. I looked up the lights you used and found these on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-Instrume ... B00KVXTVZ6) and I wanted your opinion on them. Also if you're able to kinda explain how to replace the lights that'd be awesome!
Engage parking brake, turn key to on, shift into N, key to off. Then you can remove the bezel around the radio, pull up and out from the bottom. There is a catch at the top which will eventually release. Next, remove the HVAC knobs, there are some screws. Now the HVAC knobs are free, the temperature and direction knobs have cables attached to the back, don't pull them out! Instead remove the large clips on the back of the knobs to which the cables are attached. Now you can access the light bulb sockets from the rear of the knobs. You might need a long thin screwdriver to get them out. When installing the new LEDs, remember they are polarity sensitive - so test them before putting everything back together.
Mine is a stick so I don't need to worry about moving it from park, I'll just stick it in reverse to get the shifter all the way out of the way. Are those the correct LEDs and do they look like they're good quality or would you suggest a different kind? And for the polarity sensitive part, does anything break if you happen to put the LED in wrong or will it just not turn on when its installed the wrong way?
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

ImN3XU5 wrote:Mine is a stick so I don't need to worry about moving it from park, I'll just stick it in reverse to get the shifter all the way out of the way. Are those the correct LEDs and do they look like they're good quality or would you suggest a different kind? And for the polarity sensitive part, does anything break if you happen to put the LED in wrong or will it just not turn on when its installed the wrong way?
No, nothing breaks. the D in LED stands for diode and a diode only allows electricity to flow in one direction.
2009 Vibe Base
ImN3XU5

Post by ImN3XU5 »

MacGyver wrote:No, nothing breaks. the D in LED stands for diode and a diode only allows electricity to flow in one direction.
Ok cool. These LEDs should work for this though correct? The page says T4.2 Neo Wedge but your post shows T4 Neo Wedge so I just want to confirm these'll work before buying anything.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

ImN3XU5 wrote:Ok cool. These LEDs should work for this though correct? The page says T4.2 Neo Wedge but your post shows T4 Neo Wedge so I just want to confirm these'll work before buying anything.
This is the exact item I ordered. http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-T4-T4-2-N ... 1672383691 Your order should be fine.
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

I made a how to on the steering wheel audio controls, because it deserves a thread all its own.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46067&p=518874
Attachments
1a.jpg
1a.jpg (121.92 KiB) Viewed 9487 times
2009 Vibe Base
Alpine

Post by Alpine »

Hi, new to the forum. How is the backup camera holding up now that you've had it for a while? Thinking of doing the same with this system (or something similar) Just trying to decide on placement: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071D9TWSG/
MacGyver wrote:Backup camera was installed today! I used this https://www.amazon.ca/Car-Rover-Rear-vi ... B0140Y15QY which for only $20 was an absolute bargain. Solid metal housing; should last for a long time.

I started by removing the license plate and the light above it, then drilling a 1/4" hole above the plate, so I could still take out the screws holding on the plate. The camera design is wonderful because the camera disconnects from the harness and the plug is only 1/4" in diameter, so that's as big of a hole as you need. Then placed the camera with the included double sided foam tape, and reaching in the license plate light opening, installed the nut hand tight to secure it, and replaced the license plate light. Then removed the trunk deck and the storage compartment holding the tire irons, giving access to all sorts of space. Then ran the camera wire through a rubber gromet in the back of the trunk. To do this I used a stiff piece of metal rod to poke a new hole in the grommet, down below the bumper, where I attached the camera wire and then pull it into the interior of the vehicle.

The camera wires for power are very fine, so I used soldered joints with heat shrink tape instead of but connectors.

The camera came with a wiring harness which allows the camera, video and camera power plugs to be connected and disconnected. The video wire also had an extra red wire embedded in it, which allowed me to power the camera from the front of the vehicle, so it's always on when the vehicle is on, and I can view it any time I wish. The alternate method is to power the camera from the backup lights, which I might change to in the future if camera life becomes an issue being constantly powered. This harness I bundled up and zip tied in the trunk area (photo attached).

I then ran the video cable along the passenger side door sills, which was a bit tough since the washer line also runs through there, so you have to be careful not to puncture it. Once at the front of the vehicle, the rest of the way was easy behind the glove box and up to the head unit.
09 - 5 speed - 2.4L
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

[quote="Alpine"]Hi, new to the forum. How is the backup camera holding up now that you've had it for a while? Thinking of doing the same with this system (or something similar) Just trying to decide on placement: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071D9TWSG/

The camera crapped out after one winter due to salt water intrusion rotting out the inside. I replaced it with another identical model, that didn't turn out to be identical as the wiring harness changed. I didn't figure out the water intrusion issue until after I replaced it. So I don't recommend this model. Try something from Echomaster. https://echomaster.com/catalog/all-prod ... mera-black
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Alpine wrote:Hi, new to the forum. How is the backup camera holding up now that you've had it for a while? Thinking of doing the same with this system (or something similar) Just trying to decide on placement: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071D9TWSG/
Welcome to Genvibe!

The camera crapped out after one winter due to salt water intrusion rotting out the inside. I replaced it with another identical model, that didn't turn out to be identical as the wiring harness changed. I didn't figure out the water intrusion issue until after I replaced it. So I don't recommend this model. Try something from Echomaster. https://echomaster.com/catalog/all-prod ... mera-black
2009 Vibe Base
Alpine

Post by Alpine »

Thanks for the reply! Is Echomaster what you are using now? Seems way over priced. Trying to decide between mounting a 4.3 monitor in the corner of the dash or a system with a mirror, thoughts? This cam looks good: https://www.amazon.ca/AUTO-VOX-License- ... B01DNMDVY8
09 - 5 speed - 2.4L
Joe09Vibe

Post by Joe09Vibe »

MacGyver wrote:Installed white LEDs in the HVAC controls and gear shift indicators. Yay, no more orange lights, which I never liked.

I used T4 Neo Wedge for the HVAC controls, and a 74 LED for the shifter.

Good news, I am now an expert at disassembling and reassembling the dashboard with all the mods I have done.

Bad news, I left my lights on for about an hour after I put in the lights and now the battery doesn't have enough juice to start the car. :{ I'm debating whether I should bother boosting or just replace the original battery :P
Hi, Nice work and great informative posts.
The lights of the radio, HVAC controls and gear shift indicators are off. Bulbs are fine, no lose connectors and everything else is working fine.
Cannot locate the reponsible fuse. Any idea where to look for a cause?
Thanks,
Joe
2009 Base Vibe
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Joe09Vibe wrote: Hi, Nice work and great informative posts.
The lights of the radio, HVAC controls and gear shift indicators are off. Bulbs are fine, no lose connectors and everything else is working fine.
Thanks,
Joe
2009 Base Vibe
Check for a broken wire under the gear shift area or behind the radio. Check one of the non-working sockets with a multimeter to test for any voltage.

With the headlights on, the traction control button and the "Auto" on the driver's power window switch should be illuminated. Are they?
2009 Vibe Base
Joe09Vibe

Post by Joe09Vibe »

Thanks,
Joe
2009 Base Vibe[/quote]
Check for a broken wire under the gear shift area or behind the radio. Check one of the non-working sockets with a multimeter to test for any voltage.

With the headlights on, the traction control button and the "Auto" on the driver's power window switch should be illuminated. Are they?[/quote]

Test head lights on, ignition at Acc and on: No voltage at transmission indicator socket, traction control light off, mirror control light off. "Auto" light comes on.
As mentioned above, no radio lights and testing radio harness pins other than speakers/power did not get any voltage with head lights on/ignition Acc-on

I followed the wires after removing the radio and transmission trim as far as I could, no visible breaks or disconnected harness.
Remaining: locate the fuse and and common source of these lights.
Thanks again