DIY Remote Starter for 2008 Vibe

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Jzemaitis

DIY Remote Starter for 2008 Vibe

Post by Jzemaitis »

I'm a pretty good generalist with cars and wiring and would like to install a remote car starter in my 2008. I was ready to purchase the "Avital 4103LX" from Amazon, but had a few questions before I went ahead. I'm getting conflict answers if I need a "by-pass" for a 2008 Vibe or not. Is my key a "transponder" key? I'm finding conflicting answers on it. The Avital site doesn't have vehicle specific directions and seems to leave it up to the customer to sort out. I'm up for whatever is a cost effective solution that is generally easy and reliable. Does anyone have any good information for a 2008 Vibe that I could reference for an install? I found something for a 2005... would that apply?

Thanks!
Joe
ehoff121

Re: DIY Remote Starter for 2008 Vibe

Post by ehoff121 »

I don't think any 1st gen has a transponder key.

The easy way to test this is to look at your current key. If the top is thin, then no transponder.

If you don't have a spare key, it's worth going to the local hardware store to have them make one for a few bucks anyway. I'd bet they'd use a blank without anything on it.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Jzemaitis

Post by Jzemaitis »

Thanks for the reply! I have two keys already. The key doesn't have any indication of having a chip. The black handle is pretty darn thin, but chips can be thin too I guess. I attached a picture.

I'm pretty sure the key won't be an issue but some sites say its a transponder which makes this project more difficult as I still want a spare key. Some of the wiring with a "by-pass" looks like it could be a little tricky without good directions. Anyone have anything that I could run though? Also, do you think the Avital or the Bulldog is the better choice?

Thanks!
Attachments
key.jpg
key.jpg (15.43 KiB) Viewed 5197 times
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Looks just like mine = no transponder.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Jzemaitis

Post by Jzemaitis »

Cool!

I was looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002F ... _i=desktop

Do I need a bypass if I don't have a key with a chip? From the vague descriptions out there, there's another form of security that I need a bypass for. Can anyone speak to that? It's freezing up here in Michigan and this year is the year to install one of these things!
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

No you do not need a bypass if you don't have a chipped key. I believe the Vibe is different from the Matrix because the Matrix implemented chips in their keys starting in 2005.

Go with the Avital. It's made by the same folks as Viper/Python/etc. DEI is the largest vehicle security/convenience company in the world. It's the only thing I will install.

If you need any help, feel free to ask. I've been doing remote starts since 1993. The Matrix/Vibe is super easy to do, with the exception that the lower dash does not come down so you need to be a contortionist to grab some of the wires.

Btw, here are a couple different sites with wire locations.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/for ... 994#557778

http://diagrams.marktoonen.nl/index.asp ... elID=19979
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
Jzemaitis

Post by Jzemaitis »

Great to hear! I've never spliced wires like how things are described.... Cutting back the insulation midwire, without cutting the wire. Is that the approach you take or do you have some connectors you use?
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Jzemaitis wrote:Great to hear! I've never spliced wires like how things are described.... Cutting back the insulation midwire, without cutting the wire. Is that the approach you take or do you have some connectors you use?
I know people say you shouldn't use them, but I use a combination of 3M scotch locks and 3M t-taps. In all my years, I could probably count all my bad connections on 1 hand, and that's because I guessed the wrong size connector to use.
2011 Rav4 Sport
Derf

Post by Derf »

Agree, Vibe remote start is easier easier than most models. Your kit should come with a hood open interrupt switch, you can run the wire out through the rubber boot in the firewall. I also think you have to tap a wire down by the driver side kick panel. Link to video I made installing a different brand remote starter, should help show were some of the wiring on your model will tap into the vehicle. Also has link to PDF document showing wiring color codes for 03-08 models (even though sheet says 03-07)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40426
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
Jzemaitis

Post by Jzemaitis »

I looked at some of the info online like you pointed out... A lot of "NA"'s.... Which I hope means they're just not requored for the vibe... Looks like 14 need connecting.

12 VOLT CONSTANT WHITE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
STARTER RED (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 1 BLACK/WHITE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
IGNITION 2 BLACK/YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 BLUE/RED (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
KEYSENSE BLUE/BLACK (-) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
PARKING LIGHTS ( - ) GREEN/WHITE (-) AT HEADLIGHT SWITCH ( #775 RELAY REQUIRED )
POWER LOCK GREEN (-)TYPE B WHITE CONNECTOR IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL
POWER UNLOCK BLUE/YELLOW (-)TYPE B REQUIRES DOUBLE PULSE UNLOCK AT WHITE CONNECTOR IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL
DOOR TRIGGER RED/WHITE (-) AT INSTRUMENT CLUSTER PIN 26
HORN GREEN/YELLOW (-) STEERING COLUMN HARNESS
TACH BLACK AT INSTRUMENT CLUSTER PIN 27
BRAKE GREEN/WHITE (+) AT SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL OR DRIVERS KICK PANEL
ANTI-THEFT TRANSPONDER ANTI-THEFT TRANSPONDER @ IGNITION SWITCH TUMBLER

STARTER 2 N/A N/A
IGNITION 3 N/A N/A
ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 2 N/A N/A
PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) N/A N/A
LOCK MOTOR WIRE N/A N/A
DOMELIGHT SUPERVISION N/A N/A
TRUNK RELEASE N/A N/A
SLIDING POWER DOOR N/A N/A
WAIT TO START LIGHT N/A N/A
FACTORY ALARM DISARM N/A N/A

10 aren't used. Is the headlight switch one, and "instrument" cluster ones easy to access?

How much time do you think it would take to install the Directed Avital 2 Way LCD Security System 3300L system... I finally order it today! So looking forward to getting this thing in. It was 2 degrees today here in Michigan!

Thanks!
Joe
Derf

Post by Derf »

Since you indicated this is your first major wiring project on the car, I would allow a full day for install. That will allow a slow steady approach, in case you need to research a wire location or ambiguous step in the installation instructions. Hope you have a heated garage, it will make removing the plastic panels and splicing wire a lot easier. The N/A should mean not available, not needed for your installation.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
Jzemaitis

Post by Jzemaitis »

Thank you for the help! I'm trying to figure out the wiring locations now as I won't be in a heated location likely. I'll probably stop and start a few times. I've been comparing the above into and trying to corolate that information to whats in the Avital manual. Since it's completely generic it's making it a little hard. This will be my most complicated car wiring project so far but if I get things sorted out now it should be a snap later.

Below I have some questions... Some things don't seem to be in the manual but are part of the Vibes wiring. Not sure if those apply or not. Please check out my notes below....

Avital Harness# - Avital Colors - Vibe Item - Vibe Colors - Rough location

H1/2 Red (Remove supplied fuse before connecting) - 12 VOLT CONSTANT WHITE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

H1/4 Yellow - STARTER RED (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

Isn't this the same as the starter?: IGNITION 1 BLACK/WHITE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

Isn't this the same as the starter?: IGNITION 2 BLACK/YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

Is this needed?: ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 BLUE/RED (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

Is this needed?: KEYSENSE BLUE/BLACK (-) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

H1/11 White (Check into relay or jumper) - PARKING LIGHTS ( - ) GREEN/WHITE (-) AT HEADLIGHT SWITCH ( #775 RELAY REQUIRED )

H2/E Green/Black - POWER LOCK GREEN (-)TYPE B WHITE CONNECTOR IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL

H2/B Blue/Black - POWER UNLOCK BLUE/YELLOW (-)TYPE B REQUIRES DOUBLE PULSE UNLOCK AT WHITE CONNECTOR IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL

H1/8 Green - DOOR TRIGGER RED/WHITE (-) AT INSTRUMENT CLUSTER PIN 26

H3/2 Brown/Black - HORN GREEN/YELLOW (-) STEERING COLUMN HARNESS

Is this needed?: TACH BLACK AT INSTRUMENT CLUSTER PIN 27

Is this needed?: BRAKE GREEN/WHITE (+) AT SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL OR DRIVERS KICK PANEL

Is this used some how?: ANTI-THEFT TRANSPONDER ANTI-THEFT TRANSPONDER @ IGNITION SWITCH TUMBLER

To Siren:
H1/3 Brown to Red wire of siren
Ground Siren

Just want to limit my freezing in the garage time as much as possible! It seems like those wires will control the doors and start the car.... Not sure what all the others might be for. Let me know if ya can. Thanks!

Joe
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Not going to quote your previous post, but will try and answer some of your questions. First off, several of those NA wires are optional, such as truck/hatch release and dome light supervision. Some of them however will not be needed as well.

Your main ignition wires can be accessed right up the steering column. All your heavy gauge wires should be able to be caught there.

Ignition #1/#2 are NOT the same as starter wires. Ignition wires will be HOT with the key in the run AND starting position. Accessory wires are only HOT with the key in the run position and dead in the starting position. Yes, you will need your accessory wire. As far as key sense, I can't think of a single instance where I hooked it up.

Tach: This wire is what monitors the vehicles engine while remote starting and keeps the engine from keeping the starter engaged. However, with that said, many of the newer systems have incorporated voltage sensing that you don't really need to hook it up. My recommendation. Try doing without at first, and if you are having issues with the starter disengaging once the engine starts, then hook the tach wire up.

Brake wire is very much needed. It's what keeps somebody from driving away in your car when it's remote started. If it's remote started and you tap the brake, it will kill the engine.

You should be able to ignore any transponder wires.

I'm going to PM you my direct email address in case you have any questions while you're installing. I don't always have a chance to check this site, and email goes directly to my phone.
2011 Rav4 Sport