2005 Vibe heat shield rusted off

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
littleblackdogs

2005 Vibe heat shield rusted off

Post by littleblackdogs »

The gas tank heat shield is so rusted (Central New York salt) that it has been held on only with cable ties. So much has rusted off of the heat shield on the passenger's side that there is nothing left to attach it with. A quick look online doesn't show that part as available any more. Any suggestions? If I can find one, is it a pain to install? Can it be installed without dropping the exhaust? Has anyone used peel-n-stick heat shield materials?
2005 Pontiac Vibe base model 117,000 miles.
tpollauf

Re: 2005 Vibe heat shield rusted off

Post by tpollauf »

I sort of feel your pain. While putting on the winter tires on my son's 2009 Vibe Gt I noticed that his rear heat shield directly above the muffler is completely loose and just hanging/laying there in place. Just like you, the Ohio/Michigan winters are nasty with salt/brine all over the roads! I'll look it over when I get a lift opportunity and this may stay like this till spring when we're through with winter weather. Not sure how to reattach it BUT I'll try to put it back exactly where it belongs. Also not sure if these were bolted, riveted, or welded in place. Won't know till I inspect it. Good thing I have my Red 09 GT to use for reference as it has seen very little winter driving and is resting peacefully at 25000 miles :)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
littleblackdogs

tpollauf wrote:Just like you, the Ohio/Michigan winters are nasty with salt/brine all over the roads! I'll look it over when I get a lift opportunity and this may stay like this till spring when we're through with winter weather.
The heat shield over the muffler rusted out the holes for the fasteners. I just keep using a larger fender washer. I'm concerned about the one over the tank since the tank is plastic and a lot of the heat shield is missing. There isn't enough left for me to wire up or use cable ties, and the part appears to be no longer available.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

You may consider getting a larger heat shield of another model and cut it to fit your application. A decent mechanic/muffler/body shop can do this for you.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

mine rusted off a while back. it was fixed by running a couple screws up through it. so basically, i'm just counting the days until it falls off again.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
littleblackdogs

vibrologist wrote:You may consider getting a larger heat shield of another model and cut it to fit your application. A decent mechanic/muffler/body shop can do this for you.
Not only are there a lot of weird bends involved, the mounting tabs look like they will break off when you try to remove the bolts. Also, you need to drop the exhaust to install it. I'm wondering about peel-n-stick heat shield material. I don't know anyone who has used it and I would like to know if it works on exterior applications in severe weather environments.
Owim

Post by Owim »

I'm not trying to be smug, but my 09 vibe has gotten through 3 minnesota winters so far with no rust. As far as I can deduce it was a rental car in the southern states before I got it(seems silly to have AWD in arkansas but that's probably why they moved it up to MN to sell it). I drive it about 1-1.25k miles a week for work and they like it to stay cleanish. I just make sure the car wash I go to has undercarriage wash and spend my sweet time going over that to get as much of the crud off as I can. Last time my mechanic had me in the shop to show me what he was talking about he commented about how good the underbody looks.
2009 2.4 AWD
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

It needs a special plastic part. So Mine is held by some wires.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (79.3 KiB) Viewed 7348 times
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

I think you do need to unbolt the flange of the exhaust to take off the heat shield.
Attachments
IMG_0490.jpg
IMG_0490.jpg (85.08 KiB) Viewed 7347 times
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
RDG25

Post by RDG25 »

Also posted in another thread: Gas tank heat Shield. I have a 2003 2WD Base Vibe. If your heat shield over the gas tank has gotten rusted to a point where it can't be reattached or restrung (if applicable), some mechanics will tell you that you don't need it. But the heat shield protects the gas tank from the hot exhaust pipe & other objects below, and probably needed more as the car ages since the gas tank may be rusting. So I decided to replace it. The replacement parts are no longer available from GM. So I went to Toyota, trying to match the 2003 Base Matrix. But not any Toyota (local dealer was much more expensive, and no returns), I went online to Toyota South Atlanta (phone 404-363-1953 Gil, head of online parts orders). They charge a reasonable flat rate shipping charge. The parts that worked for me are: 1) 7764102030 (Fuel Tank) Heat Shield about $102. 2) Fuel tank strap band #1 77602-12250, about $47, and 3) Fuel tank strap band #2 77602-122210 About $53. They charge a reasonable flat rate shipping charge. https://onlineparts.toyotasouthatlanta.com/ Note that on the fuel tank strap #1 and #2, the rubber protector already comes with the fuel tank metal strap (to protect metal on metal between the fuel tank and heat shield). So there is no need to get separate rubber protectors. I'm happy that my mechanic was able to install them. I tried an aftermarket part for the fuel tank straps from Advance Auto Parts, and even though it says it fits my Pontiac Vibe, it does not. Stick with Toyota parts for this one. Note: Vibe AWD uses different parts.