Shifter bushings

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Fatpaul

Shifter bushings

Post by Fatpaul »

I looked around and couldn't find a post about how to change these out, I just bought a tcs kit and would love for some how to! 2008 vibe base 5 speed manual
ImUrOBGYN

Re: Shifter bushings

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

You should be able to see the cable underneath. I'm not sure on the 2008, but jacking up the car and removing the front driver side may help. After that, I just started prying. One came out easily, one did not. :x

Pro tip: Changing the shifter base bushings had a more profound affect for me than the shifter cable bushings. Like them both, however. :)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Fatpaul

Post by Fatpaul »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:You should be able to see the cable underneath. I'm not sure on the 2008, but jacking up the car and removing the front driver side may help. After that, I just started prying. One came out easily, one did not. :x

Pro tip: Changing the shifter base bushings had a more profound affect for me than the shifter cable bushings. Like them both, however. :)
Yeah I bought the base bushings, Where do I start?! 8-)
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

This is a great guide on how to remove the shifter. It's the install instructions for the TWM short shifter.

http://www.twmperformance.com/manuals/m ... manual.pdf
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
Fatpaul

Post by Fatpaul »

sideshowalan wrote:This is a great guide on how to remove the shifter. It's the install instructions for the TWM short shifter.

http://www.twmperformance.com/manuals/m ... manual.pdf
I like this but am I blind to where they go?!
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

See the large white plastic mount on page 7? It's attached to the rest of the car by a few bolts. The new bushings replace the old ones that are sandwiched between the bolts and the car.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Don't forget you can follow the Repair Manual; Section 41-005 or 41-5 is where the floor shift lever assembly craps begins.

And here's a couple pics from that section to show the bushings. Of course, if you're using the actual manual and see the section as a whole, it'll help put it more into context.

You can see the 4 base bushings here where I cut it out from above.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Fatpaul

Post by Fatpaul »

Thanks a lot for the info y'all!! Going in tomorrow