Goodbye Vibe Friends!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
djkeev

Goodbye Vibe Friends!

Post by djkeev »

Well, time marches on.
I purchased my 07 Vibe new in 07.
We've put 180,991 flawless miles on it.
It never failed to start......
It never left me stranded.......
It never misbehaved in the slightest!

I did maintain it well, replaced brake pads and rotors a few times, belts, plugs, filters, etc.
Since the second oil change it ran synthetic oil and never leaked or burned a drop.
It delivered a consistant 30mpg's or better.

But the time came to move on.

What to replace it with???.........
The Vibe is of course dead,
It's twin, the Matrix is also dead,
The Matrix "replacement" the Scion iM is dead as well!
The Toyota Corolla iM (the Scion rebadge) was our intended purchase......

But......
Even the best laid plans go awry and we were seduced by 50+ mpg's into a Prius C.
The Prius cockpit feels like the Vibe and it measures out about the same. The difference is the loss of 8" of cargo space behind the rear seat.

Here the two units are saying goodbye, the Vibe has gone on to a good home where it will continue to serve it's master well.......

We took ours off the showroom floor......

Dave
Last edited by djkeev on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
ehoff121

Re: Goodbye Vibe Friends!

Post by ehoff121 »

Good luck, Dave!

I always appreciate your posts, so don't think you can't still drop some knowledge here every now and then.

Sending you good vibes for your new ride. :)
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

What ... no VW ??? :lol: Did you sell the Vibe outright or trade it in? Just curious on what you got for it. Good luck with the new ride ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Actually I gave it away.
I have a coWorker who's Wife has worked for Mennen here in NJ for 20 some odd years. They are closing up the production here so she is out of work in a few months.

They are struggling as it is financially and this is a major blow to their family, two teenagers and a mortgage.

They have an 02 Dodge Minivan which is rusting away and drinking oil at an alarming rate and now won't pass the State emission inspection, about $2,000 to take it from being a horrible car to being only a bad car.
They also have a 94 Acura from her brothers estate, another money pit! It too is rusting away and mechanically deficient. The interior has decayed as well. Not worth sinking a penny into let alone the 1,000's it would take to make it maginally nice.

The Vibe however has been well maintained and the interior is almost like new. The body has normal road rash and sun fade but is in great shape.

We decided to give it to them which we feel was the right move and they are THRILLED about getting it.
They now have dependable transportation for their uncertain future and I'll probably still maintain it for them for awhile.

We feel that we have been blessed in many ways over the 42 years we've been together and are simply paying it forward to others in a small way.

Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

And Yes, I've still got VW's, just not NEW VW's.
Daily Drivers tend to be Toyotas or Toyota clones........

I have a restored 86 Vanagon Westfalia
And
A 69 Karmann Ghia Convertible which is in it's 7th year of being restored. :shock:

Come visit me on ..... thesamba.com and say hi!

Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

We feel that we have been blessed in many ways over the 42 years we've been together and are simply paying it forward to others in a small way.
Ah, yet another example of why us NJ folk are the best in the world. Great thing to do Dave. I'm currently helping a total stranger from Ohio buy a car (probably a Fit) with very few $$ in his pocket. We're trolling his area looking for good value Vibes and Matrixes as well.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

djkeev wrote:Actually I gave it away.
You're a good man Dave ;) Maybe tell them that they at least have to become GenVibe members ????

As I approach retirement (within the next five years) I find myself already spreading my wealth towards the need of those who deserve it and need it to stay afloat. My line of work is refrigeration, heating, air, boilers ,chillers, etc. pretty much anything mechanical and I perform lots of side work to those less fortunate. Elderly & widows especially. I can't remember the last time I took $$$ from one of them. It is very rewarding ans will continue to do it as long as I am able to. I do get one nice perk out of the deal though. Most if not all of them are good in the kitchen and they all know I love to eat (you wouldn't be able to tell though at 5'7" and 160! So I usually walk away with pies, cookies, or any other delicatessen that they crated. I just hope in my distant future when I am no longer capable of performing work that the next generation of mechanics out there will take care of me.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Such an awesome gesture. I'm sure they'll greatly appreciate it - and have them stop by and join the community!
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Funny Tim. A Greek lady I used to take care of would feed me ouzo at 9:30 in the morning. :o
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Sad to hear about the Vibe leaving your family, but it is certainly awesome to hear where and how it went :)! It is so great to read about something positive amongst all the negativity that fills our world these days.

Congrats on the Prius C! They are pretty sharp looking little cars! It also doesn't hurt that it is the best color :cool:!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Capt.Vibe

Post by Capt.Vibe »

djkeev wrote:Actually I gave it away.
I have a coWorker who's Wife has worked for Mennen here in NJ for 20 some odd years. They are closing up the production here so she is out of work in a few months.

They are struggling as it is financially and this is a major blow to their family, two teenagers and a mortgage.

They have an 02 Dodge Minivan which is rusting away and drinking oil at an alarming rate and now won't pass the State emission inspection, about $2,000 to take it from being a horrible car to being only a bad car.
They also have a 94 Acura from her brothers estate, another money pit! It too is rusting away and mechanically deficient. The interior has decayed as well. Not worth sinking a penny into let alone the 1,000's it would take to make it maginally nice.

The Vibe however has been well maintained and the interior is almost like new. The body has normal road rash and sun fade but is in great shape.

We decided to give it to them which we feel was the right move and they are THRILLED about getting it.
They now have dependable transportation for their uncertain future and I'll probably still maintain it for them for awhile.

Dave
What a nice gesture. You restored my faith in humanity...at least for the time being ;)
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA