Gear shift bulb

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Murdoc

Gear shift bulb

Post by Murdoc »

I've read the other post on here about replacing the gear shift bulb, I've removed the bad one I bought the sylvania 74LL and trying to reinstall it it seems too small, a lot of wobble and still does not work. I noticed my cigarette lighter does not work either possibly does the gear shift bulb and the cigarette lighter work off the same fuse?
sideshowalan

Re: Gear shift bulb

Post by sideshowalan »

Cigarette outlet should have it's own separate fuse.

Did you turn the headlights on to test out the bulb....it won't turn on otherwise. I remember changing out the bulb and noting that it was really tough to see the light during the day, had to get real close and put my hands around it to block out the light.

Let us know.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Its getting inspected today I will try again when I get it back, anyone know which fuse this is connected to just incase, I will check them all. I did turn the headlights on nothing by the way.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The gear indicator bulb in the 1st gen auto tranny Vibes is fused by the same TAIL fuse as all the other interior instrument lights, so if the fuse was bad your gauges, climate controls, etc would not light up either.

The cigarette lighter is powered by the CIG fuse, which also powers the radio, so if the CIG fuse blows, the radio won't work either. If the radio works, then it could be just the power outlet itself is bad, or perhaps disconnected somehow. Usually the failure mode on those is that they short out, and its a good idea to never twist anything plugged into it.