Ben's Salsa & Chips (2003 Vibe base)

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
BenWA

Ben's Salsa & Chips (2003 Vibe base)

Post by BenWA »

2003 Vibe Base A/T FWD - Options: Power windows & locks, Cruise

Purchased December 7, 2015 for $3600 (plus home state TTL despite being private parrty out of state).

Work performed so far:

Dec. 9, 2015 - Transmission serviced (oil, filter, pan cleaning) at shop at 143,110 miles (about 250 miles after purchase)
Dec, ?, 2015 - Sandpapered the horn's corroded blade connector to fix non-working horn. Working fine now.
Jan. 6, 2016 - New Toyota OEM timing Chain tensioner & o-ring installed. "Mega Black" high temp, oil resistant RTV applied to o-ring (146,190)
Jan. 6, 2016 - New OEM GM serpentine belt installed (146,190)
Jan. 6. 2016 - New TYC (cheap) cabin air filter installed (146,190)
Jan. 7, 2016 - New Toyota OEM engine air filter installed (146,210)
Jan. 12, 2016 - Recalls for airbag inflator and SRS module module completed
Jan. 16, 2016 - Eonon GA2114 Android head unit installed (146,300)
Jul. 6, 2016 - Installed Hella SharpTone horns
Jul. 18, 2016 - Installed Yakima rack
Jul. 25, 2016 - Installed Yakima Rocketbox Pro 14(?)
Oct. 17, 2016 - Sylvania Xtravision 9003 headlight lamps installed (150,425)
Oct. 22, 2016 - "Hidden Hitch" 60958 trailer hitch installed (150,5XX)
Nov. 7, 2016 - Tire rotation & coolant flush (filled with Toyota red coolant) performed at Doxon Toyota of Auburn. (150,717)
Dec. 1, 2016 - Replaced liftgate strut supports; but not the glass ones. (150,845)
Dec. 4, 2016 - Optima Yellowtop D35 battery installed (150,881)
Dec. 4, 2016 - Sylvania Xtravision 9006 fog lamps installed (150,883)

I have it listed on Fuelly as "Marooned" for lack of a better name when I was adding it through my phone right after I bought it (kind of a bad name for a car!), but I guess "Salsa & Chips" works too since it's missing a little paint on the front bumper and has a few rock chips on the hood... and it's the "Salsa" paint. So yeah.
Last edited by BenWA on Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 18 times in total.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Re: Ben's Salsa & Chips

Post by BenWA »

While I want a 6.95" Android Head unit, I can't justify blowing $350 on it right now. (It would be on credit anyway)

Since I already the following...
- Magellan 7" GPS with OEM extra long reach mount (gets a free map update annually)
- 3 outlet 12v power strip
- 3.5mm to FM transmitter
- Good sounding OEM head unit

... I am making use of them for now without spending any money. I mounted the power strip and FM transmitter with (genuine) Velcro I already had. I don't know how well it'll hold up in summer, but I didn't want to commit to VHB tape. That stuff is almost impossible to remove; much less from plastic.

With an Android head unit with offline navigation, two of the things plugged in to the strip wouldn't be there (GPS charger and the FM transmitter). But for now, it cost me $0 and it works well enough. The transmitter was given to me and it's better than the one I already had of the same style. It gives a stronger transmission, so there's less fuzz in the sound. (Set to 90.5 locally). Where it's mounted is also ideal for receiving it's signal, and I can reach if if I ever need to for any reason.

The third thing plugged in is my cheap dash cam. I have 90% routed and hidden the cable behind panels, the headliner edge and behind the glove box. It comes out from under the dash right by the strip. I just need to finish tucking it away along the A pillar along the vertical, light colored trim between the windshield and door. I need a pick or something to carefully pull the plastic back just enough to tuck the cable inside and it'll almost completely hide the cable.

2003 Vibe Base A/T
trb

Post by trb »

Lookin good Ben! Regarding that A pillar trim, it pulls right off real easily. I pulled mine off and routed a 10' long micro USB cable from the charger to my phone mount/dashcam right below the rear view mirror. The trim pops right back in place.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

I'm sure it does, but there's nothing to grab onto to pull it off. :lol: A wire clothes hanger or even a large paper clip would be enough. Make a hook end and get it to flex the plastic a fraction of an inch enough to stuck in the cord.

So far there's no update for my GPS but it may be too soon into the new year. Maybe they'll get the update out before the month is out.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

somebody has got a welcome sign in front of the house. Picture 2 , upper right.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

vibrologist wrote:somebody has got a welcome sign in front of the house. Picture 2 , upper right.
Nice.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe Ben! Thanks for posting a picture right away ;)! Do you have any other modifications planned for the future?
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
handmedown03

Post by handmedown03 »

BenWA wrote:I'm sure it does, but there's nothing to grab onto to pull it off. :lol: A wire clothes hanger or even a large paper clip would be enough. Make a hook end and get it to flex the plastic a fraction of an inch enough to stuck in the cord.

So far there's no update for my GPS but it may be too soon into the new year. Maybe they'll get the update out before the month is out.
Welcome! :geek:
Pull off the rubber door seal by grabbing it firmly and pulling it down. Pull enough of it down enough to access the edge of the pillar trim and put a paint stick or putty knife in the seam about 2 inches from the top and pry down. It should pop right off. there 2 clips on the back. To reinstall, line up the moulding and the clips should kinda fall into place then pop the moulding by hitting it with the palm of your hand. May take a couple of tries. Door seal goes on by starting at the bottom and pushing it on and working your way up. There is enough room behind the trim to run a garden hose if you want.
Love the name Salsa and Chips. Should call mine Lava and Chips with Lotsa Apeel (top was peeling also).
Did the tensioner on the timing chain make a rattle that went away as it warmed up? I have narrowed mine down to the belt tensioner but suspect the other also.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

vibenvy wrote:Do you have any other modifications planned for the future?
Here is list of things I'd like to add eventually that I can recall off the top of my head. Who knows if I actually get around to everything, or how soon.

- Android head unit (as previously mentioned)
- Trailer hitch (mostly for the purpose of using a hitch mounted bike carrier I already have)
- Better horns (Hella Sharptones, perhaps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ9GJQAvwj0 )
- Exterior window vent visors (a couple of pics of how they look on Vibes here: viewtopic.php?t=27268 )

handmedown03 wrote:Pull off the rubber door seal by grabbing it firmly and pulling it down. Pull enough of it down enough to access the edge of the pillar trim and put a paint stick or putty knife in the seam about 2 inches from the top and pry down. It should pop right off.

Did the tensioner on the timing chain make a rattle that went away as it warmed up? I have narrowed mine down to the belt tensioner but suspect the other also.
While the trim instructions are helpful, that's overkill to tuck away a thin cable. I'll see if my way works first.

Even after I heard what I hoped was the timing chain tensioner finally after about 5-10 minutes of turning the alternator pulley, I kept on doing it more to be sure. It didn't help that the alternator pulley was spinning in place, not turning the belt at times. It still had the old belt installed at that time though. I put the new one on after. Just prior to it finally clicking, I was about ready to pull it back off to see what the problem was. Thankfully I stuck it out a couple more minutes.

After literally crossing my fingers and hoping it was clicked out properly, I started the engine and it sounded perfectly normal. No rattling at all. Maybe the extra turning I did beyond the clicking sound helped settle it in place even better. Perhaps also it was because it was a NEW tensioner. New ones are easy to compress in. Used ones are hard, due to being full of oil. Maybe new ones also pop out better due to less resistance from the oil inside? Just for the sake of trying, I found I couldn't compress the used one in easy like I did the new one.

The 20 miles or so I drove it around the city since then have been ok. The engine sounds the same and it's running and idling fine. Today it's going to get more of a workout. I'm driving to a place 20 miles away on the freeway but since it was fine in stop and go, it should be fine on the freeway. While I didn't wait 12-24 hours for the RTV to cure before I twice started and idled it to check the tensioner and new belt installs, I didn't drive it until 18-20 hours after, so it should have had time to cure before more extensive oil and heat exposure.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
Derf

Post by Derf »

vibrologist wrote:somebody has got a welcome sign in front of the house. Picture 2 , upper right.
Appears your parking area is secure!
Looks like you are well on the way to taking care of all the little things.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Derf wrote:
Appears your parking area is secure!
There are two of those actually. :lol:
2003 Vibe Base A/T
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Bet those neighbors have a few teenage daughters :lol:

Nice work so far on the Vibe and you got it fro a good price! Keep up the good work ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

$170 Android stereo installed today, as mentioned in the dedicated thread... viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44971

2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Got around to replacing the rear wiper blade. The old one didn't do a good job wiping anymore. I replaced the front ones a couple months ago since they were more important, but I do like to use the rear sometimes as well.

I had a $5 coupon from O'Reilly Rewards and I caught the wiper ($11.99 full price) on special for $2 off. So after the $2 sale discount and the $5 rewards coupon, I got it for $5.46 with tax. :mrgreen:
2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

While on a recent camping trip to the Westport, WA area.

2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Recently I ordered some Hella SharpTone horns for my Vibe. On the 4th I got out and drilled the hole for the right side horn, but then I ran out of daylight and I quit.
IMG_20160704_161910b.jpg
IMG_20160704_161910b.jpg (97.82 KiB) Viewed 5650 times
The hole got drilled over a bit too far, as you can tell from seeing both horns through the grill. However, I can swivel it toward the center to make it line up better, which I might do one day if I ever get really bored. I ran the bolt from the inside and put a nylon insert lock nut to keep it from rattling loose.
IMG_20160706_185725b.jpg
IMG_20160706_185725b.jpg (54.26 KiB) Viewed 5650 times
2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Re: Ben's Salsa & Chips (2003 Vibe base)

Post by BenWA »

Recently got a complete used Yakima rack on ebay for $170 shipped.

Today I got a Yakima Rocketbox 14 for $250. What crazy good luck too, the box uses the same "SKS" ("Same key system") key code for the box that came with the rack!

Due to the width of the 58" cross bars, I should have no problem moving the box to one side for a kayak carrier some day when I get around to buying one. Next summer, maybe.

2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Re: Ben's Salsa & Chips (2003 Vibe base)

Post by BenWA »

Today I put in a set of Sylvania Xtravision 9003s (main headlights). Heck, it turns out that's exactly what it had in it already! I hope they were just very dim, since they didn't feel like they had much brightness on the road at ALL except in complete darkness... even with the fog lights on too. The fog lights are hopefully just very dim too. In rain and darkness where there were street lights reflecting on the wet road, it seemed like I had no headlights at all, even with all 4 lights on.

I have a new set of Xtravision 9006s for the fog lights too, but I stupidly put it off while it was still dry out. Now it's rainy and yucky. Since it seems you have to crawl under to get to them, I don't really want to in moderate to heavy rain. If the rain stops a few hours, at least then I can throw down a tarp and lay on that.
2003 Vibe Base A/T