Donut gasket/exhaust

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Rzza

Donut gasket/exhaust

Post by Rzza »

Should I continue to buy the defective gaskets for 2003 which cost four times the price of a 2009 model?
Does anyone sell a kit, with the two springs, two bolts and a gasket?
Also, how do they charge $25 per spring? For the spring loaded bolts, that seems crazy!

One is over $40 and one is closer to $10, the more expensive one is the old model, known to fail, AFAIK.

http://parts.ganleygm.com/p/Converter-- ... 75833.html

http://parts.ganleygm.com/p/Converter-- ... 69134.html

Thanks for any input on this matter.
Rzza

Re: Donut gasket/exhaust

Post by Rzza »

I just found this, its a kit consisting of both bolts AND springs for 5 bucks. I have the 2zz 2003 gt 6 spd, this says its for the 1zz, I hope this would work!! I am gonna try unless someone stops me.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0022
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Anyway to check spring and bolt length? For $5, it's probably worth the chance, either way. GL

I thought you needed the gasket, though? That part I was more worried about not working.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Rzza

Post by Rzza »

Thanks for commenting, It seems the donut gasket is commonly available at all the local stores for 10 bucks. My real concern is the spring bolts because I am driving 45 minutes away while my kid is in school, and the guy is doing the repair and I would hate for him to get the exhaust off and not be able to put it back on. That is what im worried about. I went to lendale auto (one of the better parts store locally) and the guy found the kit I need (so he says) and its $25 bucks. I am on my way now to buy the walker kit from oreilly (it cost $6) and the kit from Glendale and see what happens.

l would still love to hear from someone who has replaced the gasket and bolts.
Rzza

Post by Rzza »

update, I have the spring bolts now but it appears I was wrong about the donut, the readily available donut is for the 1zz. I ordered the one for 2zz and I pick it up in the morning. I will measure the inner diameter before I buy it. All I know is the 1zz donut ID is 2 3/8 inch and the 2zz is larger. Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I used a Walker kit and either the old one or a new Toyota donut gasket for the front exhaust joint and never had any issues. 1ZZ.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Rzza

Post by Rzza »

I just found the 2zz donut gasket at a dealer it cost $55 and it is a bit larger than the 1zz. Now to put it in!
Rzza

Post by Rzza »

Job is complete, the shop tried ripping me off. I call for price they say $30 (they also did diagnostic for $35 so they applied that toward). I go there and they put my car on hoist and five minutes later come and say that its not the donut gasket I need, it the full manifold and they see a crack in it. I ask to see crack, they cannot show me. They estimate $600 for repair. I say replace donut anyhow and I will go from there (I felt like they were lying). Hour later my car is purring like its brand new again. The gas pedal feels totally different now too. I am very happy now. Also, while I was waiting the channel 4 problem solvers came in to confront them for ripping people oFF!!! How crazy is that? I will be on the Detroit channel 4 and so will my vibe!
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Ha, that's nuts. Why I do all my own work though I understand we all don't always have the time and/or means. Glad you have the issue seemingly solved. I pretty sure I have a small exhaust leak but am unable to find it. (I could try harder :oops: ) I assumed it was probably coming from around the manifold myself. Maybe I'll get back under there and luck out, too. If it is my mani, I'll be welding up any cracks I find - problem solved.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

The spring bolts are cheaper at Toyota
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

thebarber wrote:The spring bolts are cheaper at Toyota
EVERYTHING is cheaper at a Toyota dealer. GM dealers just take a Toyota part, double the retail price, repackage it and sell it.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
Rzza

Post by Rzza »

Honestly, I just bought the spring and bolts from Oreilly. They cost $5.99 and I compared them to the dealership option and they appeared the same so I went with it. They wanted I think $26 per spring plus $6 per bolt plus the hardware, For $5.99 I got all of it as a kit. As far as the gasket, I paid over $55 for that but It was the only one in my area from GM or Toyota. My other option was ordering from a Toyota dealer but I was ready for the fix.

Why can I not post pictures? It tells me file too large, its just a standard cell phone pic. I want to show you guys my Vibe on the news.
Rzza

Post by Rzza »

https://twitter.com/rzza19 I posted the pic here on Twitter.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Rzza wrote:https://twitter.com/rzza19 I posted the pic here on Twitter.
Haha Nice.
Minus the fact that you were their customer... :(
ImageImageImage
Rzza

Post by Rzza »

Howd you do that?! LOL
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice Vibe in the background on that news story! Hey wait .... That's yours :o
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Rzza wrote:Howd you do that?! LOL
"Quote" my post and you'll see the how I did it. I used the image url, then clicked the "Img" button which creates >. Plug the URL in between those like this > [img]Picture_URL_goes_here[/img]

Click Preview to be sure you got it right, then Submit.
ImageImageImage
Rzza

Post by Rzza »

Thanks, I see now. I actually tried a variation of that LOL
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

great, that's the same shop where i had a minor repair done to a loose heat shield a couple of months back. i feel bad that i gave them my business.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
Rzza

Post by Rzza »

They pulled my heat shield off to find the leak, making three tear holes in the pipe. They then told me those three holes were the source of my noise. I left there WAY louder than when I came in. The next day I had thse three holes repaired and it sounded exactly the way it sounded before that shop pulled off the shield making it obvious that all they did was put holes in my exhaust and take my money. Then they tried ripping me off of $600 by lying to me. I would avoid this place!
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

Yes , GM dealer told me rediculous price too for springs.I did the donut gasket ...the bolts and springs are total $15 at local Toyota. But the gasket for some reason may be cheaper cost and correct part # at GM dealer. Local Toyota could not get me the correct donut.
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun