Dont throw away your old floor mats !

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
cptnsolo77

Dont throw away your old floor mats !

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I recently purchased a set of OEM floors mats and put them in my Vibe. I did notice that they were thinner than my cheapie Walmart mats. I didnt really make a big deal about it until I drove...wow...the interior noise was louder :( I still have my old floor mats so i decided to place them underneath the OEM ones and double up. The results ??? much quieter than just having the walmart mats on !! By doubling up on the floot mats it acted as sound dampening and therefore reducing road noise. I got the same effect when I picked up a OEM cargo mat. After I put the cargo mat in, i noticed reduced road noise from the hatch area :D So I guess if your looking to quiet down the vibe this could be a cheap virtualy laborless way to do it :lol:

By the way I love the look of the OEM floor & cargo mats. Makes my old Vibe look new again 8-)
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
10vibe

Re: Dont throw away your old floor mats !

Post by 10vibe »

Being basically a Toyota, we are all too aware of the old floor mat and accelerator pedal deal. As long as there is clearance, and that they don't bunch up underneath pedal while climbing in or getting out of car...or readjusting driving position, then it is a really good idea!

Just for the sake of stating the obvious: If ever there is a possibility of a stuck accelerator caused by the mat, remember to neutral or clutch, and reach down and readjust mat. Might be safer to get to side of road and come to a complete stop first. Hopefully that is all the problem is. Had an 80 Pontiac Grand Prix and worn out mats that always seemed to bunch up and hang up the accelerator.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Agreed ! I worried about the mats bunching up toward the pedal as well. I cut a hole in the old floor mat so both mats fit into the hooks on the floorboard. I had them on for about 2 weeks and they havent shifted. Thanks for bringing that up 8-)
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

10vibe wrote:Being basically a Toyota, we are all too aware of the old floor mat and accelerator pedal deal. As long as there is clearance, and that they don't bunch up underneath pedal while climbing in or getting out of car...or readjusting driving position, then it is a really good idea!

Just for the sake of stating the obvious: If ever there is a possibility of a stuck accelerator caused by the mat, remember to neutral or clutch, and reach down and readjust mat. Might be safer to get to side of road and come to a complete stop first. Hopefully that is all the problem is. Had an 80 Pontiac Grand Prix and worn out mats that always seemed to bunch up and hang up the accelerator.
My first thought, as well. Just a thought OP, it may be not be as cost effective at this point, but you should consider a small amount of sound deadening material, like Dynamat for example, under the carpeting for the front foot wells if it's that noticable/important to you. If you basically replaced the extra floormats with it, the job would be super easy without having to remove seats or buy a whole bunch of material since you'd be doing just that small area under the carpet. Not to mention, the safety aspect of it. I mean, you can always keep an eye on your mats, but nobody's wrecked knowing their mats had shifted. In other words, it's when you're not keeping an eye on it that it decides to cause an accident. ;) Or, in the case someone else borrows your car who's not used to keeping an eye on those kind of things. Or, get imaginative as you've shown, and see if you can fit your walmart mats under the carpet and still be able to tack the carpet down properly. Cut to fit if need be. Anyway, just throwing out ideas. :)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I appreciate everyones concerns :D As I mentioned the hooks go through both carpets. Im very confident they are secure ;) As a side note I already have sound deadener under the footwells too. Had some left over from the doors. Thank for the tip anyhow. Cant make the Vibe too quiet :lol:
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

I had thrown down some rubber mats I got from Sam's Club a few years ago. Had to slightly trim them to get them to fit really good. I think they were called Kraco's, or maybe it was Jensen. All I remember is that the name reminded me of some cheap 80's car audio. Funny thing is, I threw them on top of the OEM floormats. I forgot about that. :mrgreen: They do not slip around and there is plenty of clearance to the accelerator pedal. I now remember that at the time I thought about drilling a hole in the mats to be able to use the hooks. Still have not. Maybe at the next thorough cleaning I might just do that! Don't really see a need at this point though.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.