HVAC backlight

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Vibe Rater

HVAC backlight

Post by Vibe Rater »

How much of a job is it to replace the HVAC backlight. One of the 2 bulbs is burned out. Can someone provide a step by step? Thanks.
GMJAP

Re: HVAC backlight (Vibe Rater)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by Vibe Rater »How much of a job is it to replace the HVAC backlight. One of the 2 bulbs is burned out. Can someone provide a step by step? Thanks.You can follow Raginfish's excellent how-to in the following thread, just stop after you remove the HVAC trim. The lights are accessible behind it.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=5940It's not very difficult, the most painful part is removing connectors from the trim pieces. If it weren't for that, it'd be downright easy.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
Vibe Rater

Post by Vibe Rater »

That is quite helpfull, thanks. Gives me an idea how to get to it and I'll be able to figure it out once I start pulling parts off. BTW, anyone know what bulb goes in there so I can purchase it before I take the old one out to look at it? Thanks.
Vibe Rater

Re: (Vibe Rater)

Post by Vibe Rater »

Anyone know what bulb goes in there so I can purchase it before I take the old one out to look at it? Thanks.
Vibe Rater

Post by Vibe Rater »

Nobody knows what bulb is in there?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I've looked and can't find the info. Not in the service manual. Not on the "other" forum sites. Not in the owners manual. are you sure there are lights in there? been a couple of other threads here about it, but nobody has followed up to say how they replaced the bulb and what type of bulb it is
ColonelPanic

Re: (joatmon)

Post by ColonelPanic »

I'm wondering if it's a 74 or something to that effect? That's one of the few tiny bulbs I can think of. We need a victim to rip theirs apart... Perhaps I can tear into mine, I have nothing better to do anyway. lolHopefully it's not like the A/C / recirculate switch lighting - when that crapped out on mine, they had to replace the whole switch assembly.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Vibe Rater

Post by Vibe Rater »

No no! I'll rip mine apart and let everyone know. Just wondering that if anyone had already done this and knew what bulb is in there. No problem, just trying to save myself driving to the store with my dash apart. Thanks folks.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

That's cool... Please let us know what you find! That shall be a good tidbit to add to the interior light bulb list.

Image Image
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

been a week, ever get a chance to dig into this?
Vibe Rater

Post by Vibe Rater »

Alright then. The bulb is rare indeed. Canadian Tire has never seen it before, can't get it. They claim to have the biggest selection anywhere. The GM Pontiac dealer doesn't have them, not even sure if they can even order it. Said it would be very expensive - about 15 bones a bulb - if they can get it. The Toyota dealer looked puzzled when I showed it to them, didn't have an exact replica in stock but found a bulb very close in appearance with similar base and contacts in the same place. $1.20 each. Installed and works.Here's the Toyota part number: 90072-02005It's fairly tricky to install. The bulb goes in from the back so tiny hands are an asset (mine aren't tiny). Any questions please do.
ColonelPanic

Re:

Post by ColonelPanic »

Can anyone supply me with a GM part number for these bulbs, OR the closest replacement bulb number that will work? Going to the local "friendly" Toyota dealer is absolutely out of the question. I'd much rather go spend $20 a piece on these bulbs at Pontiac, to be brutally honest. Anyway, I need to take this area apart on my car to figure out why the left most knob's backlighting doesn't want to come on until you punch the face, so I will replace all three bulbs while it is torn apart.TIA.

Image Image
joatmon

Re: Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by joatmon »

sounds like the bulb might be loose, only a few people have taken it apart enough to see how the bulbs fit in there and what the bulbs look like, so when you take yours apart please favor us with pics.For $1.20 for the Toyota part number 90072-02005 bulbs that Vibe Rater identified, I say just get over the personal issue with the local Toyota dealer and get them. Or have someone else buy them from Toyota if you can't bring yourself to give your local Toyota dealer the buck and change.
ColonelPanic

Re: Re: (joatmon)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Yeah but they mean to me, beat me up and take my milk money! waah!

Image Image
whoami

Re: Re: (joatmon)

Post by whoami »

I've just changed the bulb. It is pretty easy. I removed the bulb and brought it to a shop that sells original Toyota parts. The bulb that the shop sells is slightly different. It still works when installed.I'll post a picture on the bulb.
ColonelPanic

Re: Re: (whoami)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Please share, I have no lighting in my A/C controls still. I find it very frustrating to have to live with. I need to replace the whole control piece, but I can't afford to. So if I can just get the sockets and bulbs, that would be great.Pictures, part numbers, and potential sources of these things would be greatly appreciated. I don't have either of the original bulbs or their sockets as they were broken and fell into the dash as I tried to remove the things.How did you get the bulbs out, by the way? Did you have to remove the whole white climate control piece? (I ended up breaking that piece in the process of trying to figure out how to get to my bulbs.)

Image Image
whoami

Re: Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by whoami »

Attached a picture of the bulb with base. Actually you can buy the bulb alone. Just need to attach to the base.

Attached files
tcamike

Post by tcamike »

I purchased a couple of these Toyota light bulbs. They fit and work, however they do not lock into place. They turn a little, but do not lock to make a connection. So unless you plan on having your finger pushed up behind it at all times, I see no way for these particular bulbs to work properly.
glassman

Re: (tcamike)

Post by glassman »

it is a special bulb GM part #.88970578 Toyota part number, 90072-02005 these are canadian part # they were 13.00 cad ea
ColonelPanic

Re: (tcamike)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Ahh, I am quite familiar with what you are describing! I bought two GM bulbs for $10 a pop and went to replace them, and found myself in the same exact situation.Were you trying to replace the bulb with the white HVAC control assembly in place? I was with mine... I had the bulb in the socket and kept twisting it, but it never locked into place. I dropped it down the dash and wrong bulb or right, losing $10 down there is a real crappy feeling.To make a long sotry short, well, after replacing that whole assembly because I broke the existing one in many different ways, I took the bulb that I had recovered and stuck it in the old assembly, it was doing the same thing... But a small screwdriver right in the center and pushing with the screwdriver while turning did the trick. So, if you're able to get a screwdriver behind there, I'd try that - or if you remove the control assembly, you'll definitely be able to get 'em in there provided they are the right bulb. But I didn't have much room to do that, maybe you'll have better luck.. If you look close enough, you might be able to see the brown sockets in the assembly, one of these was the one I had previously wrote off as being the wrong type.I can't give you any advice on the safe removal and reuse of this piece though. I broke mine trying to get it out and had to break it even more to make it come out. It wasn't fun. I pulled out all the stops last time though, I didn't need to put it back in there so it's broke pretty darn good. It is really amazing how these two itty bitty bulbs can cause such frustration.

Image Image
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Well, half of my HVAC controls backlight went out the other day and I'm not too comforted by the responses in a few of these threads... I'm going to try to tackle this over the weekend and see where I end up. Anyone have any experience with this lately? It looks like the last posts relating to the HVAC backlighting was over a year ago.I'll post up with an update if I find anything helpful.
Vibe_dude

Re: (NSimkins)

Post by Vibe_dude »

Mine just went out tonite too.........the right side........so i guess i need to get a new bulb....so how did u make out replacing yours....any pics and parts numbers would be great.
LOVE THAT VIBE 2003 Satilite Silver auto.......188,000kms.2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer White 4.2 Inline 6 291hp auto.........156,000kms.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

funny timinig. Driving home from work today, I noticed the left side was out, but having read various reports here, I rapped it sharply and it lit back up. Odd that.
Vibe_dude

Post by Vibe_dude »

wow this is on bad a$$ bulb to find.....both my local ponty and toyota dealers did not have any....toyota did not have any in the country.so i guess i will have to live with a big black space on my dash.....for now.But on a bright side.my door/headlight chime started to work again....it has not worked in over a year....but when i put the console all back together again it stopped workin.grrrr.and i dont want to take out the gauge cluster to fix it.at least i know it still works...must be a short or something.would love to see a pic of where the chime is located if anyone has a pic.
LOVE THAT VIBE 2003 Satilite Silver auto.......188,000kms.2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer White 4.2 Inline 6 291hp auto.........156,000kms.
va2phl

Re: hvac backlight

Post by va2phl »

I just check mine i was off for 2 years now and the socket was loose i just screw it back in place and all was working. You just touch the brown socket show on the picture higher
dagwood

Re: HVAC backlight installation

Post by dagwood »

How to install HVAC climate control bulb on Pontiac or or Toyota Matrix 2003-2010

Buy bulbs on EBAy, type in "Pontiac vibe climate control bulb" got mine 2 for $8. Now here is proper way to install in 30 minutes. You will need: 10mm socket w/long extension, Philips screwdriver and a 1/8 flat end screwdriver. FIRST of course unbolt the negative battery terminal. #1 remove front cover buy pulling off and use bungy cord to hold up (pic1) also simply pull out cable to left . Next unscrew the (4) 10mm bolts on radio and unplug 1 wire harness in back (easy to remove radio). #2 with ignition to "on" put gear to "L". Now slide 1/8 screwdriver on gear shift molding and pop up side and remove (pic 2). #3 remove center air control knob you will see Phillips screw, remove it and press down at top of molding to unsnap clips on each side and pull outward, then just pull off 2 knobs (pic3). #4 know the white plastic piece is exposed and you will see the bulbs. Slide the 1/8 screwdriver on each side of white plastic piece and slide up (you will see tabs on each side). This will now let you tilt the entire piece forward 30%. #5 Now with the 1/8 screwdriver take the bulb and press the end of screw driver into slot on base of bulb it should be in snug. Now go in through radio area line bulb into hole and turn clockwise till locks. Now connect battery cable on and turn lights on to see if works. IF THE new bulb on but other bulb is off now, just tap it and will go on. #6 put every thing back in reverse order and do happy dance, because you save $350 or more ! And be sure to get 2 or more bulbs in case you drop in back or just a spare.

Or see my detailed video https://youtu.be/Q90JDn5FHbg
Attachments
Dash console bolt     pic 3
Dash console bolt pic 3
dash bolt to unscrew.jpg (75.87 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
Gear shifter mold removal  pic 2
Gear shifter mold removal pic 2
dash shifter mold removal.jpg (76.24 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
Radio and dash cover removed  pic 1
Radio and dash cover removed pic 1
dash radio romoved.jpg (113.56 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
dagwood