2ZZ - Lift vs oil temp (winter driving)

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
lobi

2ZZ - Lift vs oil temp (winter driving)

Post by lobi »

If I understand it right the ecu needs to see 160 degree oil temp before allowing lift to engage on the 2ZZ engine (on my 03 at least).
Hard to get oil temp up there in below 25 degrees outside temp, at least for me. 25 degrees seems like the break point where I might or might not be able to engage lift depending on my water temp. It seems, even fully warmed up that the outside air temp may be cooling the oil from the rush of cold air on the block and oil pan regardless of thermostat/water temp.

Has anyone played with this? I've considered wrapping some Styrofoam around part of the front of the block (under the intake) and around the oil pan just to see if it made a difference in 25 or less temps outside air. How about a 190 or 195 degree t-stat rather than the 180? Might help, might not with outside air temps so low. I do already have a pizza box lid in front of my radiator for a little better heat during this cold snap. Hard to wait until spring. I know my tires like warm dry pavement a lot better.

Picked up another 03 GT that needed a trans. Pulled the trans out last night and took a pic of the 2ZZ stamping on the block. Thought it would make a cool avatar. Hard to read in the pic. I'll be passing my current GT to my niece when this one hits the road.
Attachments
2zzblock.jpg
2zzblock.jpg (19.17 KiB) Viewed 2649 times
I spent most of my life hunting and fishing, the rest I just wasted.
Salsa Guy

Re: 2ZZ - Lift vs oil temp (winter driving)

Post by Salsa Guy »

I'm not sure they have oil Temp on these cars. Water Temp yes.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
lobi

Post by lobi »

Salsa Guy wrote:I'm not sure they have oil Temp on these cars. Water Temp yes.
When you pull the variable lift solenoid (drivers side of the head) to pull the oil screen for cleaning there is a single wire temp sensor right there for oil temp.
No oil temp gauge of course but ecu gets the reading.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Are you sure your current thermostat is working properly? I still have the oe thermostat, live in Columbus, OH (we've had plenty of far below freezing days this winter and last), and I haven't had an issue getting upto temp. Does it take longer than usual? Of course.

Wish I could help more at this point. Nobody likes freezing their (removed) off. ;)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
lobi

Post by lobi »

Obgyn, that is a good thought. If it is sticking open a little or opening prematurely it will run too cool. I'm just not in the mood to change the t-stat in this weather and I'll be passing this one on within a week for my next GT. I will be willing to put more time in this one. Put the new clutch in last night but have not finished buttoning it up. Chasing one missing shift cable clip. Didn't have it when I got it. No wonder it shifted terrible.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

No oil temp I can find. There is a Pressure Switch for the Lift System.
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
lobi

Post by lobi »

Salsa Guy wrote:No oil temp I can find. There is a Pressure Switch for the Lift System.
Hmm, I guess maybe I could be wrong (ask my wife, i'm wrong daily) about the single wire clip at the variable lift solenoid. I guess I assumed it was oil temp because I had read somewhere that 160 degree oil temp was one of the parameters needed before lift would be allowed. I can't quite visualize the inside of the lift solenoid even tho I just had it off a week or so ago to clean the oil screen. Maybe the plugged oil screen that I had blocked flow (pressure) to that pressure switch. But, why would the engine need a second oil pressure switch? There is one located right above the oil filter.

Anyone able to confirm this with certainty?
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

It's an oil pressure switch to engage lift. It appears to be normally closed. If your filter was clogged you should get a CEL. I've been there and done it. If you don't have proper pressure in that system the ECU won't allow lift to engage. Maybe the switch is faulty or your oil level is low/pressure issue or you have plug somewhere. 160 deg I think refers to the coolant temp.

You could pull it out and test with and meter

Good Luck
lobi

Post by lobi »

Hmm. I'll take your word for it Salsa. Makes sense I guess. I was not getting lift (but no codes either) prior to cleaning the screen. I now get lift no problem as long as it is over 25 degrees outside. Funny, the redundancy of a second oil pressure switch, but I suppose if it is lift specific Yamaha must have seen the need for the protection. I won't be investigating it on this current GT I'm driving because I'll be driving my next one next. If lift is absent I'll dive into it because you just can't have a 2zz that you enjoy the thrill of lift. Right? While waiting on my clutch kit I did a lot of other putzing around like cleaning maf, lift oil screen, iac, etc.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

If it doesn't work now it may not work later. The 2nd Pressure sensor is to make you have proper oil pressure before you engage the Lift system because it's operated by oil. Here's video that explains it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y7WEdhR6V8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

Try blocking the lower grill. I attach a blocking panel in the winter and have no problems up to 70F.
Should reduce air flow around the oil pan.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
lobi

Post by lobi »

circuitsmith wrote:Try blocking the lower grill. I attach a blocking panel in the winter and have no problems up to 70F.
Should reduce air flow around the oil pan.
Thanks circuit. I do have a pizza box top stuffed in between the condenser and the radiator for quicker heat.

I think I'm dealing with two problems at the same time. I have since gotten my newer old '03 Vibe GT on the road with a new trans and clutch kit. Only driven it 15 miles or so but can easily hit lift regardless of outside temp. It warms up much quicker than the other (not hitting lift) one. I suspect a stuck open thermostat or even possibly no t-stat in it at all. I also think it is time to pull the filter screen at the lift solenoid again. When I first got it the screen was plugged solid and couldn't get lift. A good cleaning and "lift". Reading some other old postings, someone, I forgot who, said that they had to clean theirs a couple of times. I'm guessing that I need to pull the screen and clean it again.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

It was me!!! The engine was so full of crap it took almost a year to get it clean with Mobil 1.