Took in for 2 recalls, returned back damaged

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
CHSurvivor

Took in for 2 recalls, returned back damaged

Post by CHSurvivor »

Took the Vibe in for warranty recalls. SRS and Airbag on pass side.
I get in the car there is crap all over the dash and scratches on my dash....

Now I wait until the new year....as they have to repair....frustrating
I wouldnt have been mad if they would have told me.....but they said nothing.....f
Raven

Re: Took in for 2 recalls, returned back damaged

Post by Raven »

Drunken holiday mechanics do shoddy work. :shock: Hope they come clean with the re-repairs.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I know EXACTLY what you are going through. They didn't bother to tell me about it either - if they would have, I would have been more forgiving.

Had the passenger air bag inflator, SRS filter harness, and window bolts done in mid November. The car was spotless inside when we dropped it off, my wife and I have tried hard to take very good care of this car. Within a 24 hour span, they nullified 12 years of hard work.

I picked it up with the drivers door handle door panel screw access flap open and the screw still on the floor mat. The passenger side of the dash was filthy. They left the air bag wiring routed incorrectly and hanging down into the glove box where it was tugged on every time you open the glove box. Cleaned it up, put the screw back in, and had them fix the wiring. Didn't really notice much of the other damage until I started looking at things closer...

During the supplemental harness recall is where they did the most damage. They pried from the TOP of the radio bezel to remove, breaking off every tab and clip at the top so there was nothing holding it on up there any more. The cable for recirculate release was not reattached and now doesn't want to stay attached. The shifter/HVAC control trim was pried off with a screwdriver, damaging it and adjacent areas of the dash/shifter console in the process.

I could not find any suitable used trim panels that were free of blemishes or broken tabs. So i ordered a new radio bezel, shifter trim and HVAC control knob label to the tune of $200 from a competing dealer. On my dime. I refuse to ever let this car return to their care, even if they were trying to right what they wronged for free.... And they lost any chance of a new sale - we will be in the market for a new car soon, potentially a Buick. But no way will it be from them.

Bottom line, if I ever have to do this again, I'll just carefully and properly disassemble the damn car before it ever gets to the dealer.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Wow, after reading this I should take pics before I take it in for the recall. Sounds like a nightmare ! :o
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
CHSurvivor

Post by CHSurvivor »

cptnsolo77 wrote:Wow, after reading this I should take pics before I take it in for the recall. Sounds like a nightmare ! :o
Yes, that be a great idea....

My car is far from mint and interior has a few blemishes from former owner...but come on....they didnt even wipe the grease off the dash.
TAKE PICS !!!!
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Yes, photographic evidence highly recommended. If I had known the secondary harness recall required them to completely dismantle the center of the dash I would have take many in great detail. I did take some, but none to show enough detail... :(
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

Call Badwrench and launch a formal complaint.

Dealer's provide service under the Goodwrench name, and they take it very seriously, almost personally. If it wasn't for recalls and insurance auto body repairs (I want my Envy green dealer handled), I would never use a dealer.

I would rather try to fix it myself and then drive it off a cliff than have their incompetence work on my car.
PATMAN

Post by PATMAN »

I just had the recall work done on my 2004.
We got it back and now the radio doesn't work, the accessory setting on the ignition switch doesn't work, and the front side windows don't close tight anymore with air and noise leaking in.
Now I wish I had not taken it in at all and rather taken my chances with the air-bag never accidentally deploying. To top it off they had my car for 3 days.

From what I hear there have been many accidents where the air bag should have deployed but didn't, and we also have some deploying when they shouldn't.

Nice!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

PATMAN wrote:We got it back and now the radio doesn't work, the accessory setting on the ignition switch doesn't work, and the front side windows don't close tight anymore with air and noise leaking in.
How the hell
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

lannvouivre wrote:
PATMAN wrote:We got it back and now the radio doesn't work, the accessory setting on the ignition switch doesn't work, and the front side windows don't close tight anymore with air and noise leaking in.
How the hell
Because you have GM "mechanics" working on a Toyota.
Their brains work like this, "Well, lemme see, this here's a Ponyac, so it must be just like a Shivvy, so I'll fix it jist the same."
What do they care? It isn't their car.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

The recall reimbursement rates are crap so the dealer pushes(schedules) the mechanics to work fast.

Plus being the older models, they are not under any local service contracts so it's more affordable to listen to you b!tch about damage rather than pay to do it right.
You can get good service, but you can't get it for free (ie the free recall or warranty service you already paid for)
It's sad, but it's one of those new hidden costs, like having to tip every employee in the hotel if you don't want crap service.

You can leave gifts for the mechanic, like donuts and that does help.
trb

Post by trb »

I guess I must be blessed since my local former Pontiac dealer (was one of the top Pontiac dealers in the nation) takes extremely good care of our Vibes when I take them in for any recall or warranty service. So far they've worked on all three Vibes and done my wife's Equinox oil changes, and I can't complain at all. They all talk about how great the Vibes are and how they miss selling and servicing them. Wish all dealers had the ethics of the good ones.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Well it looks like I will remove the radio, radio bezel, glove box or ANYTHING that would be necessary before I take the vibe in for :roll: for this recall. After the recent announcement I guess I will take this one a little bit more seriously. I didnt think much of it because the "fix" wasnt definite. Oh well...
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

My two cents worth:

When I take my car in for any maintenance I give detailed instructions. I.e.: with a front end alignment I always ask to make sure the steering wheel is straight.
When I ever get that recall I will specifically mention that I don't want a scratched up interior or sloppy cable routing etc. That way they know from the outset that I will be paying attention.

2nd: When things go wrong I give them a chance to fix it right. If they do damage and don't fix it I will find out how much it costs to fix it and take them to the small claims court. I never had to do this, but I am prepared to go that route. Taking pictures and having a witness to describe the before and after shape of the car would help a lot in small claims court.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

The car I traded in on the Vibe was a 2005 Nissan Sentra. I took it in for a free oil change, and when I checked the oil the next day, it was AT LEAST a quart over full. I took it back to the dealership and showed them the problem. The service writer asked the head guy in the shop, "Who did this oil change?" He checked the record and said, "Tony did it." The service writer said, "That figures."

I never took it back. I did my own service from then on. Luckily I have a grease pit in my garage.

I took my Vibe back for the "free" 3000 check and oil change offered by the dealer. On a whim, I asked the service manager what they would put in the car if, say, it was low on coolant. He said, "Dexcool, of course." That was in October of 2009. I have never taken it back. I buy the oil filters and drain plug washers from a Toyota dealer.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

cptnsolo77 wrote:Well it looks like I will remove the radio, radio bezel, glove box or ANYTHING that would be necessary before I take the vibe in for :roll: for this recall.
AMEN to that !!! It's unfortunate that you MUST be this pro-active in order to assure yourself that your Vehicle does not get damaged. To this day, I have NOT had any recalls done to my 2009 Vibe GT and will likely not have any done (there are only three I believe). The circumcising of the gas pedal will DEFINITELY never get done, the power window master switch "might" get done BUT only if I remove the power cluster and take it to the dealer! They will NOT remove it ........ I will !!! Not sure about the third recall.

Hearing horror stories like this just makes me sick and those low-life workers who are performing the work have no work ethics to speak of! I'm in the service sector like so many others out there and If I screw something up, shorted someone services, damaged something, etc. I could not live with myself let alone sleep at night. I'm done ranting :x
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

tpollauf wrote:The circumcising of the gas pedal will DEFINITELY never get done
You shouldn't need it unless you are one of those guys that stacks 7 carpets. One mat is plenty!
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
chris777

Post by chris777 »

You guys are scaring the crap out of me on bringing my 05 in for recall work.
I guess I will take pictures or a video first.
GaryG92

Post by GaryG92 »

Taking my Vibe in to get the PCM checked out today. I'm slightly worried now lol. But since it's under the gloves box, I am resting a little easier since they won't (or shouldn't) have to take anything apart.
Proud Vibe owner as of 6/13/2015
05 Base, 131k miles
Team Lava
Looking forward to many years of good Vibes!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

GaryG92 wrote:Taking my Vibe in to get the PCM checked out today. I'm slightly worried now lol. But since it's under the gloves box, I am resting a little easier since they won't (or shouldn't) have to take anything apart.
When I brought mine in for the airbag recall, I pulled the glovebox. And then found out the soonest they'd have the part would be on the 29th :)
GaryG92

Post by GaryG92 »

lannvouivre wrote:
GaryG92 wrote:Taking my Vibe in to get the PCM checked out today. I'm slightly worried now lol. But since it's under the gloves box, I am resting a little easier since they won't (or shouldn't) have to take anything apart.
When I brought mine in for the airbag recall, I pulled the glovebox. And then found out the soonest they'd have the part would be on the 29th :)
They said my PCM was fine. But they said they're ordering the part for my airbag recall. Should I pull the glove box out for them? It's really not hard, they should be able to do it their selves without hurting anything I would thing
Proud Vibe owner as of 6/13/2015
05 Base, 131k miles
Team Lava
Looking forward to many years of good Vibes!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

GaryG92 wrote:They said my PCM was fine. But they said they're ordering the part for my airbag recall. Should I pull the glove box out for them? It's really not hard, they should be able to do it their selves without hurting anything I would thing
OP had his or her dash scratched for that recall. It's amusing to me, because I helped perform it on a Toyota and there's just no reason this should have happened, unless they put the box on the dash like idiots. I plan to reduce their opportunities to mess up.