Finally a good Fix! (Window Bezel)

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
MotoAce51

Finally a good Fix! (Window Bezel)

Post by MotoAce51 »

Ok, I was starting to get pissed off about the window switch bezel being broken, but I was too cheap to buy one. So I came up with the mother of all fixes for this! Here it goes....1: Get a "Frozen Juice Concentrate" container. The ones with the tin top that comes off. 2: Take off the top and clean it.3: Measure about 3/4" of an inch off the side and draw a straight line across the cap.4: Cut across the line as smoothly as possible. I used side cutters for the rim and scissors for the main part of the tin. You resulting product should look like this.5: Take the switches off the bezel.6: Hold the piece of tin you cut up to the switches and mark the holes.7: Drill/ punch out the holes. 8: Assemble. Bezel ~> Plate ~> switches (NOTE: The lip is away from the bezel. This will fit a little looser in the door making it easier to install and uninstall. You can install it the other way but it goes in really tight.)9: Install in the Vibe. Its a tight fit, so you will need to push down to fit the back in. once its in place, pop the front in. 10: Smile and say "Damn, David you are a freakin’ genius!" And go make the juice you bought for this project....BRAAAP!!!!
2004 Vibe Base- Injen CAI, 10,000K HID's, Projector Retrofit W/ Angel Eyes, Billet Grilles, Kicker KX6.5 Components, Helix TB Spacer, Pioneer Premier HU
KITT222

Re: Finally a good Fix! (MotoAce51)

Post by KITT222 »

That's... brilliant, actually. Well done. This will be perfect for Applejuice and his Vibe!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by MotoAce51 »10: Smile and go make the juice you bought for this project....Very nice work and to think you got it done in plenty of time .... the juice didn't expire till June 2013 Here's just another fine example of how many possibilities exist when needing to make a repair or modification. Plus what better way so show the environment that you did your part and recycled the can Again, nice work and thanks a ton for the detailed pics showing the progress. Hopefully this benefits other 03-08 Vibe owners out there
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Damn, David you are a freakin’ genius!Will be working on this this weekend.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

love it !
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
MotoAce51

Post by MotoAce51 »

Nothing has moved yet. This is the best mod I have done so far.
2004 Vibe Base- Injen CAI, 10,000K HID's, Projector Retrofit W/ Angel Eyes, Billet Grilles, Kicker KX6.5 Components, Helix TB Spacer, Pioneer Premier HU
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (MotoAce51)

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

This is actually pretty freakin smart...INCREDIBLE job and inginuity MAN I GenVibe
tribalman

Re: (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by tribalman »

and here i was thinking of using Green Stuff to fix mine.
None. Vibe is gone.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

After reading the OP I thought that this person must be a Yankee. Sure enough, I checked and this is Yankee ingenuity. Run on over to Bully Hill and have some wine for me!
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
MotoAce51

Post by MotoAce51 »

Tonight is Blue Newt wine. Yesterday was Glenora. Tomorrow Ill have some Bully Hill Traminette...
wt2ga

Post by wt2ga »

playzkeyz

Post by playzkeyz »

Works like a charm. Thanks so much!
Serj22

Post by Serj22 »

Nice idea, I will be doing this today. I had no idea everyone's switch set was hanging off like that. THought I just got a broken one when I bought it or something. How did you discover this though? Were you smacking it with the frozen juice till you had an epiphany?
Pioneer HU2 x D3tAK tweeters in stock location (M&T)4 x Diamond Audio D162.5i1 x Pioneer TS-W309S4 SubPolk Audio Pa330 (To drive Sub)
KNINE

Re: Finally a good Fix! (TONY TAT2)

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by TONY TAT2 » love it !Ditto!
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Why am I just seeing this now... I keep super gluing mine.
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
chadhgraves

Re: Finally a good Fix! (CAMOGIRL)

Post by chadhgraves »

Sorry for bumping an old post, but this is a great idea!. I've been dealing with a broken panel for so long, I've just learned to ignore it. It would always slide around and looked like crap. I saw this post and immediately started rummaging through the cabinets for a can to open up. Followed your guide and had a fixed panel in 5 mins. It fits great and looks just like it did when I bought it. Thanks again!
Paco

Re: Finally a good Fix! (Window Bezel)

Post by Paco »

This was a great fix! If only the engineers could have thought of it.

Brilliant!
BlackbeardBen

Post by BlackbeardBen »

Thanks again for a great fix!

Looks almost like new on mine now, though I suspect with a bit wider section of can it would fit perfectly.
2004 Vibe GT
afterburner6794

Post by afterburner6794 »

This is an absolutely brilliant piece of engineering. I just joined GenVibe, and this is exactly why. These forums seem to be filled with great people, and I'm proud to now be a part of it!
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

afterburner6794 wrote:This is an absolutely brilliant piece of engineering. I just joined GenVibe, and this is exactly why. These forums seem to be filled with great people, and I'm proud to now be a part of it!
That is very cool -- I haven't seen this thread before. That is a great fix, wish I would have known that back when I had my Vibe with the same problem. 8-)

Welcome to GenVibe, by the way - glad to have you! Over the years, I've never found any other car forum with people as genuine and helpful as the Vibe loyalist.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

afterburner6794 wrote: I just joined GenVibe, and this is exactly why.
I joined because of the free cookies.
luvmy03vibe

Post by luvmy03vibe »

Good fix, but can you help me, mine is in worse shape. Attached photos show that where you are attaching the juice lid, my screw holders are broken off and the screw post at the other end is also broken off. Any help would be appreciated, before I resort to my duct tape and zip ties and superglue. (and yes I have cleaned off all the dust) :roll:
Well, I have been trying to add 3 photos, uh, how do I do that? :oops:
vibe.docx
Last edited by luvmy03vibe on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

luvmy03vibe wrote: Well, I have been trying to add 3 photos, uh, how do I do that? :oops:
External hosting site, such as Photobucket, or add them as an attachment. Below where you type your message will be a tab labelled "upload attachment."
AbbyNormal

Post by AbbyNormal »

You, dear sir or madam, are indeed a genius.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Just did the same fix but it still slid a bit. What I did was take the middle part of the lid moved it to the outside drilled my holes, trimmed the excess on both sides excepted I left a tab on the outside and bent it down towards the bezel. That kept it sliding down away from the door. Will post pics later.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

I also just did this...best thing ever. cheap and easy fix

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oscarjm

Post by oscarjm »

Awesome! I have this same issue on my passenger side! I'm a big fan of cutting into old license plates to rig things up, so this is right up my alley!

*Edit- the passenger side setup is different- I unfortunately have to order a new/used bezel instead. Bummer!
Last edited by oscarjm on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Post by Mark »

D@^^n, David you are a freakin’ genius!

Finally got around to doing this today. Took all of 10 min, including explaining to the wife why I was taking a lid from a frozen lemonade can.

Don't know how many times I've retrieved the plastic hooks from inside the door and super glued them back on.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
bigbill25

Post by bigbill25 »

Another satisfied customer! Thanks!
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

Much better than the tongue depressor and glue that I used. And I get to drink all the Five Alive I can handle!
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
cwl5005

Post by cwl5005 »

This was great! I don't mean to bring up an old thread but is was extremely easy and quick.
psiu

Post by psiu »

Did this today. Still slides around a bit like someone mentioned above (I actually still had one post tab keeping it in place to begin with -- it almost looks like the door panel part is busted a little :shock: ) but it's in pretty solid and takes some serious effort.

Bonus: get to have some OJ and confused the heck out of my wife :mrgreen:
ToyMaker

Post by ToyMaker »

Just got a 2004 Vibe and did the fix. Thank you from Canadiana!
Hope2BuyVibeTomorrow

Post by Hope2BuyVibeTomorrow »

Just bought an 04' Vibe (<3ing it so far) and will be trying this fix this week, thank you in advance for the brilliance and ingenuity! I thought my bezel was just a rare dud , but looks like others have the same issues! Mass production at its finest.

Does the bezel simply pop out when lifted up vertically with enough force? Mine just wobbles a quarter inch left and right right now , so I wouldn't want to break it.

GENIUS!
2004 Pontiac Vibe Base Automatic Orange on Gray Cladding
GenVibe Rules!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

The top end pops up, then you slide it forward to avoid breaking the two horizontal tabs at the bottom.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Colorado80017

Post by Colorado80017 »

Brilliant fix - I used an aluminum cinnamon roll lid. My 2003 was broken by the dealer during a window recall. Found it was loose too late to take it back. Now I again have a tight fitting window switch bezel. Thank You!
brandontw

Post by brandontw »

Dave, you are a god among men.

Finally got around to doing this to my vibe today. Took 10 mins, no more janky control panel, and Sunday afternoon screwdrivers to celebrate with the OJ I bought just for this.

Thanks again!
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

Wow...I don't know why I didn't do this earlier. I kept messing around with glue and such but it would always pop back off. Did this and the panel fits perfectly!
Wingsfan19

Post by Wingsfan19 »

This is certainly an ingenious fix, and I was all set to try it but my window bezel has a LOT of wear. Turns out you can order the Toyota part 74232-01030 from Amazon for only $15.93. According to customer comments, this works on the Vibe and it certainly looks the same. I just ordered it today and will post an update when it arrives and I have installed it. BTW, MUCH cheaper than the GM part!
Wingsfan19

Post by Wingsfan19 »

Wingsfan19 wrote:This is certainly an ingenious fix, and I was all set to try it but my window bezel has a LOT of wear. Turns out you can order the Toyota part 74232-01030 from Amazon for only $15.93. According to customer comments, this works on the Vibe and it certainly looks the same. I just ordered it today and will post an update when it arrives and I have installed it. BTW, MUCH cheaper than the GM part!
Received the part today, fits and looks great!
mktrat

Post by mktrat »

So I modified the modification a bit........

Great solution!! Thanks!!
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Gonna be replacing the driver's door lock actuator on the wife's 11 y/o Rav4, and in the process of taking the door panel off, broke this very clip. Will be finding out soon enough if this fix also works on a Rav.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
KnightmareCS

Post by KnightmareCS »

Worked great for me with a condensed milk can. THANKS!!!!
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Another great thread for us second owners. Thanks for the bump.

We need a new FAQ...
EyeDocWA

Post by EyeDocWA »

I'm sure it'd work better with the photos, but alas, Photobucket put the screws to the recipient's posting :evil:
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

EyeDocWA wrote:I'm sure it'd work better with the photos, but alas, Photobucket put the screws to the recipient's posting :evil:
I don't want to think of how many other helpful how-to's across various forums they've made not-as-helpful overnight with the change in their terms of service. :cry:

Fortunately, all the OP has to do to get the pics to show up again is to pay them $399/year as that is the only tier which has 3rd party image linking capability! :D

The other option for Photobucket users (myself included) is to move to a new image host and edit each post with links to the new image location. It's going to be a lot of work...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

Well, I tried to fix this like the instructions above say, but found out it wasn't the clip on the bezel that was broken. Instead, it was the armrest itself.

Halp!

I'm going to try something similar using the juice can lid method, but with small screws and stuff. Hopefully it will work.