Removing A-pillar trim and interior light control panel

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
kabotnik

Removing A-pillar trim and interior light control panel

Post by kabotnik »

Hey all. I'm new to this site (and car stuff in general). I decided to tackle installing a new head unit which went smoothly, but it came with a microphone to install on the driver side visor. At the moment (temporary fix, I hope) I used some 3M strips to keep the cable in place and I ran it down the A-pillar trim and down around the dash by the door and above the steering column into the unit.

What I would like to do, is run the cable under the A-pillar trim and under the dash to the unit, however I'm not entirely sure
a) if this is the best way to run the cable
b) how to remove the A-pillar trim to run the cable underneath
c) if there is anything I should be aware while trying this (would the air bag be an issue? other pitfalls?)

This may be more suited to electronics, but since the installation of the unit is done, I figured this forum might be a more appropriate place to ask. Thanks!
joatmon

Re: Removing A-pillar trim and interior light control panel

Post by joatmon »

welcome to genvibe!

I don't know about the A-pillar on the 09 & 10 Vibes, but ont he 03 - 08 vibes, the A-pillar trim just pulls off. Straight towards the other A-pillar. There are some plastic panel fasteners/pins, the kind designed to pull out and push back in, so you should be able to pull it off and pop it back on again with no troubles.

Should. Early on while still under warranty, had the dealership replace the weatherstrip around the door opening, and they must have abused the pins, because I had a hard time getting to to stay on. Turns out the same pins are used to hold the interior door panels, and the interior hatch panels , so I shorted the hatch trim a couple and had no problem. You probably won't have to do that

Sounds like behind the A-pillar trim would be the best way to route the wire, and there are no safety sensitive things you have to worry about. The wires behind it are for the dome lights, and if you have one, sunroof power, but nothing to do with airbags.

Also on the 03-08 Vibes, there is a trim piece next to the A-pillar, which has an air vent, the dimmer exterior mirror controls. It might help to route the wire inside the dash if you take that off. I find it easiest to just stick a finger in the vent and pull the thing off,straight back towards the back of the car.
trb

Post by trb »

The 09-10 Vibes use the same kind of push in mounts for the A pillar trim, but they do have air bags under them. The previous owner of my 10 GT installed tweeters on the A pillars, :roll: and they often came down. They were held in place with a safety catch or something, and I could see the airbag stuff behind it. I just pushed it back in place.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Thanks for correcting me. I was wrong to make a definitive statement that there are no airbags behind the A pillar. I assumed. I've only popped the A pillar off 03 vibes, and the one of those that had side airbags had them in the front seat backs near the door, nothing behind the A pillar trim

Does the A pillar trim on the 09-10 with airbags behind it have any marking to indicate that there's an airbag behind it?
kabotnik

Post by kabotnik »

Awesome, thanks! I have an 03 Vibe so that's perfect.

Would there be an easy way to run the cable under the dash? Or would I be able to run it under the dash directly to the A-pillar? I was thinking of carving a small notch out of the interior lights panel cover on the bottom to route the cable up through there, but I would rather have all the cable hidden if possible.
trb

Post by trb »

joatmon wrote:Does the A pillar trim on the 09-10 with airbags behind it have any marking to indicate that there's an airbag behind it?
Yes, it has AIRBAG embossed on the plastic close to the roof end of the trim.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
trb

Post by trb »

kabotnik wrote:Awesome, thanks! I have an 03 Vibe so that's perfect.

Would there be an easy way to run the cable under the dash? Or would I be able to run it under the dash directly to the A-pillar? I was thinking of carving a small notch out of the interior lights panel cover on the bottom to route the cable up through there, but I would rather have all the cable hidden if possible.
You should be able to drop it straight from the A pillar down behind the dash. I just pulled the A pillar trim off my 03 and there is plenty of room to run wires down to under the dash, and then find the end under the dash. I'm planning to buy a long USB charger cord for my phone and run it from under the dash, up the A pillar, and across the headliner to the rear view mirror area. I'm running a dash cam app on my phone and I attached the mount right under the rear view mirror. The loose cord plugged in the power outlet really annoys me!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &