AWD Vibe in the Snow

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
Coolharts

AWD Vibe in the Snow

Post by Coolharts »

We have about 8" of snow in this part of NC and this is really the first time the AWD/4WD has been put to the test. It did good, but the only problem was the undercarriage hitting the center of the track the trucks have made.
SeattleJeremy

Re: AWD Vibe in the Snow

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Sounds about right, the Vibe has about 6 inches of ground clearance.

What kind of tires are you running?
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Coolharts

Post by Coolharts »

Uniroyal Tiger Paws.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

04 Vibe base FWD - lowered 1.75" with 195/65/15 Firestone Winterforce tires. I can take anything Minnesnowta has thrown at me. Biggest issue is the open diff, but I can get around that pretty easily.

These things are just great in the snow. I can't imagine how good in snow the AWD models are by comparison.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Coolharts wrote:... It did good, but the only problem was the undercarriage hitting....
Yes, up here we deal with snow regularly and clearance can be an issue. I have had the car lift up on top of packed snow to the point that the tires cannot get traction. I always carry a small coal shovel during the winter. I have needed to scoop snow from underneath in order to lower the car back onto its tires.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Yea My 4WD Trix is a beast in the snow. Power Slides are AWESOME and it's really hard to lose control of it. The 04 RX 330 AWD on the other hand is just no fun at all. You can't disable the TCS and VSC sometimes power slides and spinning wheels are good.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Coolharts

Post by Coolharts »

AWD Vibes should have a skid plate, looks like the snow banks tore my under engine covers off.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Coolharts wrote:AWD Vibes should have a skid plate, looks like the snow banks tore my under engine covers off.
That stinks. If you want to pony up for it, Beatrush makes a skid plate for the Celica that should fit the Vibe (same K-frame underneath).

http://www.kamispeed.com/BEATRUSH-Alumi ... 512140.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Improved aero and a skidplate. Only hassle is you need to remove it in order to change the oil filter.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

That would be cool. They also need 50 HP!
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Derf

Post by Derf »

The ground clearance can be tight, the major concern I have is the downward facing 2nd O2 sensor on the exhaust pipe. Snow may not be a problem, but Ice can break the wires. Previous owner of my Vibe ripped the wires off the sensor when running over an (already dead) animal in the road. Also cracked some of the plastic panels underneath. If you are getting wedged up on the snow, it may be creating other issues. Have no issue taking the Vibe out in powder snow, but once it starts to setup or refreeze, have to watch out for the underside.

Was thinking of redoing the plastic panels underneath due to some of the existing damage, will look into the Beatbrush plate, an extension off the back to cover the 2nd O2 sensor would be a bonus.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )