V6 or V8

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Kinleysman

V6 or V8

Post by Kinleysman »

In everyone's opinion which one of these engines would better suit an 06 Vibe a V6 or a V8?

Which would save more gas because, I really believe that the 4-Cyl does not belong in the vibe, I dont believe that it has the adequate power the car.

Debate on!!!

I want a new motor for my vibe if yall cant tell lol.
Raven

Re: V6 or V8

Post by Raven »

For the cost of converting a Vibe to V6 or V8 you could buy a real V8 car.

That being said, my brother put a 350 V8 in the back seat of an early sixties VW Bug. It began to fly at over 100 mph, very scary.
Last edited by Raven on Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

power takes fuel. Seems like saving gas and upgrading a Vibe to a V6/V8 are mutually exlusive

I bought the Vibe because at the time it was the best MPG in a US brand vehicle. It is a good compromise of power, economy and utility. If I needed or wanted the power of more cylinders, I'd buy a car designed to have it

That being said, my brother once put a 350 in a Corvair. Doubled the inherent danger of riding in that car
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Kinleysman wrote:I really believe that the 4-Cyl does not belong in the vibe
The people who designed and build the car from 2002-2010 would disagree with you. Every single Vibe built at NUMMI has a four cylinder engine.
Kinleysman wrote:I dont believe that it has the adequate power the car.
The 2006 Pontiac Vibe (base with manual transmission) power to weight is 1HP to every 21.4 pounds.
Yes, this is on the low side, but a 2010 Mini Copper (base, 6-speed auto) has 1HP for every 22.4 pounds.

It's certainly possible to put a larger engine in the car, but that engine will likely not yield better fuel economy.

Here is a build where they are putting a V8 in a 2005 Vibe.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-h ... -vibe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some better questions are:
Do you have something you can drive while your Vibe is under construction (or can you buy a beater for this time period)?
What is your budget?
What is your automotive and manufacturing skill level?
Do you have a particular drivetrain in mind?

Most important What are your goals for the car?
Would a 2ZZ swap from a Vibe GT suite your goals? (Faster)
Would a WRX Wagon suite your goals? (Way Faster)
Would a Jetta Wagon/Golf 5-door Diesel suite your goals? (More power, and more economical)
Would a 2014 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L suite your goals? (More power, and more economical)
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

SeattleJeremy wrote:Would a 2014 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L suite your goals? (More power, and more economical)
And don't forget super-sexy! ;)
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I think the Vibe is perfectly suited for a corolla or camry 4 cylinder engine. It is the pathetic 4 speed transmission that makes the car yesterday's news. A change should have been made to the 2009-2010 models, but Toyota kept dragging their heels on having a 6 speed automatic tranny as standard. Our loss.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Go for broke and put a V8 in the Vibe. Another member here and on Matrix owners, is doing this exact thing as I write! I hope you have access to a machine shop, tool & die shop, large garage. and a lot of spare change laying around :o If the whole idea behind this hypothetical "upgrade" is because you want to be different, then I admire your thoughts. If you meet the above criteria then DEFINITELY go for it 8-)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

People have done Toyota V6 swaps into Celicas, which has an identical K-frame as the Vibe, so the outline is there for a possible V6 swap. Rumor has it that the second gen is even based on the same Toyota MC platform as the Camry, so a V6 could bolt in. AND the first gen is close to the second gen in the chassis design, so a V6 could cleanly go into a Vibe.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

A Turbo on the 1zz. You'll get MPGs and plenty of power.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop